+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BaldJerry View Post
    I recently started antidepressants about 3 months ago. I have to say it has not effected my hair to the slightest. In fact my hair is getting thicker (thanks to experimental treatments). I think if people lose hair from pills is not in the MPB pattern and if you quit taking the pills it will all grow back. I think hairloss from these pills is rare and if it happens then just quit taking the pills!

One thing that concerns me is Dr Guyuron, a plastic surgeon, has done a study on identical twins who led different lifestyles. He observed the twin that took antidepressants looked older than the one that did not. He said it was cause antidepressants relax facial musccles too much for too long. I believe this to be true. These pills really relax my face and I can see how overtime you can lose that natural tone you get through expression. However I am taking them anyways. I figure that should be easy to reverse right? How can relaxed facial muscles cause permanent aging?
    That doesn't make a squirt of sense to me. Your skin loses elasticity over time. So, not making facial expression should probably be beneficial. Further, not being "stressed" should also have positive benefits on the aging process.

I'm thinking it would need to be through some other pathway, if it were to promote aging.

I originally thought the same thing but I think you it is true around the eyes. Bags and tired eye look comes from not using muscles around the eyes. This is my speculation as to Guyuron's reasoning. Here is a summary of the study:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...880645,00.html

I have no idea if anti depressants cause hair loss, but I am certain that hair loss causes depression.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    That doesn't make a squirt of sense to me. Your skin loses elasticity over time. So, not making facial expression should probably be beneficial. Further, not being "stressed" should also have positive benefits on the aging process.

I'm thinking it would need to be through some other pathway, if it were to promote aging.
    Speaking of that , if I may go off topic for a second, do you have any ideas to maintain the elasticity of our skin as we get into our forties? I never went out in the sun much so my skin looks pretty good .

My diet is good and I exercise. No smoking or drinking. My only stress is the performance of my NHL hockey team.

My wife offers me her 'moisturizer' but I am wondering if there is a male version and /or other vitamins we can take to improve our skin health .

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I work with this guy that is 51 but looks way younger. On his birthday we asked him how he looks so young. He said he has been wearing sunscreen since the 80's when he was in 20's. I think this is the key. So consider yourself lucky you never went out in sun that much.

But I am also a drunk and I take a lot of pills so that can't be good for my skin either.

But I am also a drunk and I take a lot of pills so that can't be good for my skin either.
    lol thanks Jerry

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Spring jam this weeekend, brah!!!!
    Maybe this would cheer me up if I knew what the hell it was, brah.
    Quote Originally Posted by gldngamer View Post
    Hey Aames, I really don't know much about antidepressants and hair loss, but I had a similar depressing situation such as yours a few months ago so i thought i'd tell you my story. I was dating a girl who had still not broken things off with her ex bf and we had a very dysfunctional, friends with benefits kind off relationship. It was horrible, i felt insecure , was paranoid and the worst part is that we used to smoke and drink together. Finally i started abusing weed and alcohol to suppress my emotions after prolonged torture of being with her . Long story short, i broke up with her after asking her out formally to which she rejected me saying that she's already committed to another guy. I was an emotional wreck after this incident, i lashed out at my friends and held everyone in contempt. I realised that she had only liked me for my looks and used me for her own attention needs.This is when i got really insecure about my hairloss and aesthetics as i felt losing my looks would directly affect my dating life.

The only good things that have come out of this debacle is that i stopped my alcohol and weed abuse as it was making me feel worse after the high wore off. My problems didn't disappear and my depression increased astronomically. I have been feeling alot better these days, after being free from my vices. I have given up on girls for the time being.

Aames, i feel for you bro, i hope you can foget about your rejection and move on. Don't take drugs mayn, you will ruin your life . Get some help if your ok with it, im sure you can request your psychologist not to prescribe you antidepressants
    Damn, I know man. It really sucks that our obsessions are interfering with our lives and relationships so much. I hope we can grow and get better. I think if I regrow or at least halt my hair loss, that will be one major hurdle accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I lol'd.

Same situation I'm in basically. Just go in there and act depressed, let him give you the meds, but don't take them. Then over the space of a few weeks gradually pretend you're getting better until you're 'cured'.

But for the love of God don't take the medication. Psychs aren't even scientists. They don't know what the **** they're doing. It will turn you into a bald zombie.
    This is what I did the last time I saw a psych. I want to get better but I share your sentiments on antidepressants. Perhaps I should be more open with them this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Do regular exercise and it would be helpful to talk to someone
    I don't think you should take the pills, doctors these days hand them
    Out like they're handing out sweets.
    My friend actually went to the doc and made up
    Some story to get on Prozac just so he could
    Last longer in bed. Apparently cures PE
    Oh, absolutely. When I was on them in the past, I would go weeks and even months without any sexual desire. Part of the reason I want to go back on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    Even though you hate cardio, you should get back into running... Studies have shown running (and other cardio I'm sure) is an effective anti-depressant, even cured it in people. The studies say it can be as effective as today's best anti-depressant pills

It definitely helps me.
    Thanks for your input. I have a treadmill and I will definitely start using it on off-days.

I recently started antidepressants about 3 months ago. I have to say it has not effected my hair to the slightest. In fact my hair is getting thicker (thanks to experimental treatments). I think if people lose hair from pills is not in the MPB pattern and if you quit taking the pills it will all grow back. I think hairloss from these pills is rare and if it happens then just quit taking the pills!

One thing that concerns me is Dr Guyuron, a plastic surgeon, has done a study on identical twins who led different lifestyles. He observed the twin that took antidepressants looked older than the one that did not. He said it was cause antidepressants relax facial musccles too much for too long. I believe this to be true. These pills really relax my face and I can see how overtime you can lose that natural tone you get through expression. However I am taking them anyways. I figure that should be easy to reverse right? How can relaxed facial muscles cause permanent aging?
    You raise some good points. I suppose I could just monitor shedding if I were to take them. And wow, I also worry about aging. I look young for my age and I would like to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Speaking of that , if I may go off topic for a second, do you have any ideas to maintain the elasticity of our skin as we get into our forties? I never went out in the sun much so my skin looks pretty good .

My diet is good and I exercise. No smoking or drinking. My only stress is the performance of my NHL hockey team.

My wife offers me her 'moisturizer' but I am wondering if there is a male version and /or other vitamins we can take to improve our skin health .

Let me know what your thoughts are.
    You could try Retin-A. I visited an anti-aging forum once and it seemed pretty much everyone used it.

thank you Aames

I will check it out.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Antidepressants can cause hair loss but to my knowledge they do not in most people. They work well for some and not for others. I tried 2 different kinds and they did very little for me
    In my experience clandestine is right, therapists can actually help your mental state if you are open to the process. I saw one a few times back when my diffuse thinning was worse and I was extremely depressed. Believe it or not I quit going because I was afraid he was starting to make me feel at ease with losing my hair, which I did not want to happen.

Just a word on opiates that you are probably tired of hearing already....they are some of the worst drugs if you are depressed. In my experience at least. They would make me feel better, then worse than before when they wore off. When that last pill is gone it's like, oh shit, now I have to deal with the same reality as before but with an opiate hangover/craving
    Also painkillers made my skin kind of bad.

For the record I think we have many similarities. I am a BDD sufferer and I also HATE rejection from women. I crave validation from them and when I do not get it I feel like trash. Also when I am in a depressed state of mind my personality becomes very unpersonable, awkward to be around, and this has caused me to drive away girls who at first were very attracted to me. Having someone's praises and then losing them....that is one of the worst feelings.
    So I know where you are coming from. My best advice with this latest rejection is to hook up with someone else as soon as possible....maybe not the healthiest way to handle it and others would call it horrible advice, but it always helped me. When you are stuck on a girl it gets easy to forget there are billions of other women in the world

Good luck.
    Sorry, man, completely forgot to address your post. Yeah, the problem with therapy is that I want to be happy but I am reluctant to change the way that I think since I am convinced I am right. I think Highlander can attest to this; once you see things this way, it is very hard to go back.

And yeah, mate, I am sorry to hear that you have abused opiates in the past. I am running very low so will be forced to stop soon anyway. I feel exactly as you do when I am not on them. I purchased some phenibut which I hope will help me relax a few times per week.

Wow, your sentiments regarding women pretty much mirror mine. If I do not get stares or attention when I go out, I seriously want to top myself. I plan to use this as fuel going forward to better myself. I don't know if this type of behavior is healthy, but I often finding using rejection and the anger it causes to fuel my workouts and keep me going when I feel like giving up.