+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Inactive

Default Do antidepressants really cause hair loss?

My parents are threatening to cut my funding if I do not seek psychiatric help. I cannot survive without their funds; I don't know what I would do. And, obviously, I want to get better. But, if they did cause hair loss, there is no way I will take them. Shit brahs, I don't know what to do. I suffered a huge personal blow a week ago and I am spiraling out of control (I was rejected by someone that called me hot, probably indicative that I have a major personality flaw or am awkward beyond repair). I'm binge-eating like crazy and spent all weekend high and alone. I have never felt this low. I'm sure you're all sick of my depressed shtick but I have no other outlets where I can freely speak my mind without repercussions. Also, I have come to love each of you and hope you love me (no homo). I really mean it, each and every one of you. Despite being strangers on the internet, you all mean something to me; some more than others, but all having some significance nevertheless. I have to put on an act around my friends (when I see them, which is rare nowadays) and my parents are about ready to have my institutionalized. It seems everything I do is met with failure. Am I going to make it?

Hey Aames, just wanted to offer some support. tbt family is here for you bratha.

You should absolutely see a therapist; they're entirely helpful to talk with. I would be cautious with antidepressants. Find out what specific brand the psychiatrist wants to prescribe, and then google around for information re: sides. Probably your best bet.

Try to stop smoking weed if you can. If you don't already, I would start exercising. Running, hit up the gym (frequently), whatever. Releases endorphins, natural high. Drink more water, every day. Meditate. Start taking small steps, this will help with depression and anxiety.

I would confide in your parents regarding your depression. I'm not sure what your relationship is with them, but family and friends are important for support!

All the best.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Hey Aames, just wanted to offer some support. tbt family is here for you bratha.

You should absolutely see a therapist; they're entirely helpful to talk with. I would be cautious with antidepressants. Find out what specific brand the psychiatrist wants to prescribe, and then google around for information re: sides. Probably your best bet.
    It means a lot when a poster like you (that often disagrees with me) offers support; love you brah. And yeah, that sounds like a reasonable source of action. At the very least, I think they would be happy if I see a therapist. After all, I can't just rant on here for eternity and hope to magically improve. The drugs can come later if need be. I try to tell them about antidepressants and the dangers, but they will not listen. They ignore scientific studies and just default to whatever the hell the doctor says, regardless of their actual ability or knowledge. I always think it's funny when people act as if doctors have access to a mysterious resource that the general public doesn't.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Try to stop smoking weed if you can. If you don't already, I would start exercising. Running, hit up the gym (frequently), whatever. Releases endorphins, natural high. Drink more water, every day. Meditate. Start taking small steps, this will help with depression and anxiety.

I would confide in your parents regarding your depression. I'm not sure what your relationship is with them, but family and friends are important for support!

All the best.
    Strong edit, lol. Anyway, to address these points. I don't smoke weed. I've been using up my supply of oxycodone and supplementing with phenibut when I fear I'm running out. That's another matter. I lift MWF but hate cardio. I really should start as I used to run and felt great; I even have a treadmill in my room. And yeah brah, I really want to get into meditation. Do you use any guided meditations or special techniques?

Antidepressants can cause hair loss but to my knowledge they do not in most people. They work well for some and not for others. I tried 2 different kinds and they did very little for me
    In my experience clandestine is right, therapists can actually help your mental state if you are open to the process. I saw one a few times back when my diffuse thinning was worse and I was extremely depressed. Believe it or not I quit going because I was afraid he was starting to make me feel at ease with losing my hair, which I did not want to happen.

Just a word on opiates that you are probably tired of hearing already....they are some of the worst drugs if you are depressed. In my experience at least. They would make me feel better, then worse than before when they wore off. When that last pill is gone it's like, oh shit, now I have to deal with the same reality as before but with an opiate hangover/craving
    Also painkillers made my skin kind of bad.

For the record I think we have many similarities. I am a BDD sufferer and I also HATE rejection from women. I crave validation from them and when I do not get it I feel like trash. Also when I am in a depressed state of mind my personality becomes very unpersonable, awkward to be around, and this has caused me to drive away girls who at first were very attracted to me. Having someone's praises and then losing them....that is one of the worst feelings.
    So I know where you are coming from. My best advice with this latest rejection is to hook up with someone else as soon as possible....maybe not the healthiest way to handle it and others would call it horrible advice, but it always helped me. When you are stuck on a girl it gets easy to forget there are billions of other women in the world

Good luck.

Spring jam this weeekend, brah!!!!

Hey Aames, I really don't know much about antidepressants and hair loss, but I had a similar depressing situation such as yours a few months ago so i thought i'd tell you my story. I was dating a girl who had still not broken things off with her ex bf and we had a very dysfunctional, friends with benefits kind off relationship. It was horrible, i felt insecure , was paranoid and the worst part is that we used to smoke and drink together. Finally i started abusing weed and alcohol to suppress my emotions after prolonged torture of being with her . Long story short, i broke up with her after asking her out formally to which she rejected me saying that she's already committed to another guy. I was an emotional wreck after this incident, i lashed out at my friends and held everyone in contempt. I realised that she had only liked me for my looks and used me for her own attention needs.This is when i got really insecure about my hairloss and aesthetics as i felt losing my looks would directly affect my dating life.

The only good things that have come out of this debacle is that i stopped my alcohol and weed abuse as it was making me feel worse after the high wore off. My problems didn't disappear and my depression increased astronomically. I have been feeling alot better these days, after being free from my vices. I have given up on girls for the time being.

Aames, i feel for you bro, i hope you can foget about your rejection and move on. Don't take drugs mayn, you will ruin your life . Get some help if your ok with it, im sure you can request your psychologist not to prescribe you antidepressants

Do regular exercise and it would be helpful to talk to someone
    I don't think you should take the pills, doctors these days hand them
    Out like they're handing out sweets.
    My friend actually went to the doc and made up
    Some story to get on Prozac just so he could
    Last longer in bed. Apparently cures PE

Even though you hate cardio, you should get back into running... Studies have shown running (and other cardio I'm sure) is an effective anti-depressant, even cured it in people. The studies say it can be as effective as today's best anti-depressant pills

It definitely helps me.

I recently started antidepressants about 3 months ago. I have to say it has not effected my hair to the slightest. In fact my hair is getting thicker (thanks to experimental treatments). I think if people lose hair from pills is not in the MPB pattern and if you quit taking the pills it will all grow back. I think hairloss from these pills is rare and if it happens then just quit taking the pills!

One thing that concerns me is Dr Guyuron, a plastic surgeon, has done a study on identical twins who led different lifestyles. He observed the twin that took antidepressants looked older than the one that did not. He said it was cause antidepressants relax facial musccles too much for too long. I believe this to be true. These pills really relax my face and I can see how overtime you can lose that natural tone you get through expression. However I am taking them anyways. I figure that should be easy to reverse right? How can relaxed facial muscles cause permanent aging?