+ Reply to Thread

Default What else can i try?

So iv'e been using rogaine for roughly 5 months and i feel that it is working pretty well, i can see some hairs regrowing but they are very thin and are white.

I was wanting to start some other treatments such as saw palmetto. I was hoping for some feedback on the stuff, is it worth my while taking it?

Or if there is any other treatments you guys feel is worth while then please mention, but not fin because to be honest i'm scared of taking the risk of getting the side effects.

Cheers

Inactive

If you're not willing to try fin, there's nothing worthwhile that you can do outside of experimentals like RU. I mean, FFS, you understand that saw palmetto does the same thing as fin? It just does it on a much smaller scale, probably not even enough to make a difference in hair loss. You have three options: understand that fin is not the dick-genocider it is made out to be and take it, mess around with expensive experimentals, or accept being bald.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a dick to you, brah. I just get angry about stuff like this. I don't want people to come in here and tell you that screwing around with minox, saw palmetto, herbal crap, etc. is going to save your hair. The sad truth is that long-term maintenance of your hair necessitates the use of some sort of potent anti-androgen. There is just no way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    If you're not willing to try fin, there's nothing worthwhile that you can do outside of experimentals like RU. I mean, FFS, you understand that saw palmetto does the same thing as fin? It just does it on a much smaller scale, probably not even enough to make a difference in hair loss. You have three options: understand that fin is not the dick-genocider it is made out to be and take it, mess around with expensive experimentals, or accept being bald.

EDIT: I don't mean to be a dick to you, brah. I just get angry about stuff like this. I don't want people to come in here and tell you that screwing around with minox, saw palmetto, herbal crap, etc. is going to save your hair. The sad truth is that long-term maintenance of your hair necessitates the use of some sort of potent anti-androgen. There is just no way around it.
    Going to have to disagree, trust me don't rush into it. If your going to take it, go get your hormones checked first. It took my body 6 months after using that crap to get my hormones from lower than an 80year olds back to normal and i'm 22. It was like being completely disconnected. Works for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroes View Post
    Going to have to disagree, trust me don't rush into it. If your going to take it, go get your hormones checked first. It took my body 6 months after using that crap to get my hormones from lower than an 80year olds back to normal and i'm 22. It was like being completely disconnected. Works for some.
    That's fine if the poster wishes to have himself checked and his blood work drawn for hormone levels to be measured thoroughly. However there is no getting around what Aames is saying here every other product mentioned like Saw Palmetto or herbal extracts are *****footing around and aren't going to get the job done. Minoxidil 5% is part of what the poster will need.
    The other portions of that equation which are a must will include either a regimen of Finasteride or Dutasteride or failing that he can look into the experimental topicals such as they are with a ketoconazole based shampoo follow up like Nizoral or Regenepure. But past that the only thing is possibly a hair transplant surgery or shaving your head and accepting that your hair is gone.

The thing is time is not on the OP's (original poster's) side here. I am a Norwood 5 and I was balding before propecia made its debut and it was hard to get in the early days so I was surfing on Minox which cost what about 60 bucks for a small aerosol can from UpJohn which frankly was a weaker consistency that the type made now and I watched my hairline slowly fall back and back. If I had the armament then that you guys have now I would have more than likely retained a NW2 hairline.. now it looks like I will have a long battle to get back to NW3 let one NW2 on the MPB scale. Point being time is a necessity here and the sooner he gets himself checked and the sooner you can get on that regimen the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    That's fine if the poster wishes to have himself checked and his blood work drawn for hormone levels to be measured thoroughly. However there is no getting around what Aames is saying here every other product mentioned like Saw Palmetto or herbal extracts are *****footing around and aren't going to get the job done. Minoxidil 5% is part of what the poster will need.
    The other portions of that equation which are a must will include either a regimen of Finasteride or Dutasteride or failing that he can look into the experimental topicals such as they are with a ketoconazole based shampoo follow up like Nizoral or Regenepure. But past that the only thing is possibly a hair transplant surgery or shaving your head and accepting that your hair is gone.

The thing is time is not on the OP's (original poster's) side here. I am a Norwood 5 and I was balding before propecia made its debut and it was hard to get in the early days so I was surfing on Minox which cost what about 60 bucks for a small aerosol can from UpJohn which frankly was a weaker consistency that the type made now and I watched my hairline slowly fall back and back. If I had the armament then that you guys have now I would have more than likely retained a NW2 hairline.. now it looks like I will have a long battle to get back to NW3 let one NW2 on the MPB scale. Point being time is a necessity here and the sooner he gets himself checked and the sooner you can get on that regimen the better.
    Yeah I agree, there is no denying these products work and they are the best treatments available at the moment. Though there was risks involved and some people just don't agree with the meds, I was one of them. I personally only using High Nutrient Shampoo and Ketoconozole, experimenting with COX2inhibitor. until something better comes out.

I agree with Aames.

When I first started using hair loss treatments, I started with Procerin. It was a waste of money and precious time that I could have been using on Rogaine and Propecia, which I did start in my teens but couldn't stay consistently on it because of financial issues; it was hard for my mother to keep up with buying Rogaine and Propecia for me all year 'round and I had no idea about generic minoxidil and finasteride at the time because I still had not discovered hair loss forums. Now at 24 I could stay on these treatments but as a NW3/4 diffuse with a receded hair line and a lot of ground to cover before I can consider myself having a decent head of hair. Don't do that same mistake, start early.

Cheers for all the feedback!

I do understand what you guys are putting across, fin is the best way to treat hairloss but i think i might stick with rogaine and see how long it will keep my hairloss at bay.

As much as i want to start fin, at 19 im too scared of losing the use of, well you know what. I might give it a shot in a few years, or just hope they come out with a new cure, and soon.

I guess the only way i will ever find out, is by taking the stuff.

I know quite a few people who regret not taking Fin when they had the chance because they were scared of the so called "sides" of it and after going to NW 3 & 4 they take it and suffer no effects but regret.