+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 20 YO What is the next step?

Hey all,

Ive lurked here for a while but I think I am ready and willing finally to undergo whatever treatments necessary in order to keep what is left of my hair.

I noticed that I had a receding hairline early on at around 17. My dad went bald so I always assumed I would be doomed.

The thinning is starting to get worse. One weird thing Ive noticed is that right before an area will begin to thin, my scalp will get red, itchy, or dandruffy right before. Even though ive tried to take good care of it since I noticed the thinning. Also my hair just feels dry and crappy all the time now, like brittle almost.

Anyways here are some pictures:

This is about the best I can get it nowadays.

My hairline....

So what do you guys think?

I was hoping it would maybe slow down but at this point I realize I either need to take serious action early, or just embrace it 100%.
    I am really scared about all the side effects ive read about from the standard meds for hair loss.....but ive made up my mind. Im willing to take whatever pill if it means I can keep what I have left. Would you believe I once had shoulder length blonde hair? hahaha. oh well such is the irony of life I guess.

Id appreciate any feedback or tips on the best course of action to reverse my hair loss.

thanks

you seem to have good density and by recceded to about a NW2. Have ou tried finasteride? this may prevent any further loss

Nizoral 2% shampoo will help with scalp irratation, its very wise to prevent scalp irritation as this is likely to exacerbate hair loss

The itch you refer to is the "DHT Itch".
    This usually goes away after you begin Propecia.
    If you seriously want to keep what you have which is pretty decent hair, then you should research FDA approved meds for hair-loss or google spex for more info.

Propecia (finasteride) has the potential for sexual side effects; research these before committing.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Propecia (finasteride) has the potential for sexual side effects; research these before committing.
    The side effects are very rare as with any medicine

i have read about the side effects and i dont mind.

it looks like my hair has gotten WAY worse over the past few days.

the only thing ive done is change to head and shoulders.... in hopes of helping my scalp.

sigh.... it looks like it might get to the point where i cant hide my balding

Your hair is still good. Unlike in others, who start to act, when they are NW4+.

Don't read internet forums spammed by hysterical hypochondriacs. All those "side effects" are rare (they occur in 2-3% men), and they are often imaginary anyway. Recently, I read a post, where some guy ascribed his impotence to the use of the Nizoral shampoo. LOL Where will this insanity stop?

If I were you, I would go directly on dutasteride (Avodart). Many guys here on this forum will discourage you from this decision, but after my own experience with finasteride (and reading posts of many other frustrated guys), I see no reason, why you should start with a less effective treatment, when you can go straight on the much more effective. Finasteride is not only less effective, but it also works slower. Basically, you can wait for the whole 1 year for some results, and end up disgusted and frustrated.

Alternatively, you can measure your DHT levels, then go on finasteride, and after several weeks, you can measure it again. If your DHT falls below 20 ng/dl, it is very probable that you will experience success. If it doesn't happen, then don't waste your time and use dutasteride!

The addition of minoxidil to 5-AR blockers can help, if you are not satisfied with regrowth. But it is a life-long commitment. You must use it until the end of your life. If you quit it, you will experience a dramatic shed. BTW, the 5% version is weaker than 5-AR blockers, but don't understimate the power of minoxidil! Similarly like e.g. in the case of finasteride, there are good and bad responders to this drug. The bad responders achieve some success for few years (and not only due to bad response, but also due to terrible discipline in application), and then go to spread their agenda that "minoxidil won't maintain hair, no matter, what..." The good responders have been keeping their hair by minoxidil for 20+ years, and I have no reason to go to internet forums. I myself was on it for 15,5 years, until I added 5-AR blockers last year.

Inactive

You look really good with long hair. I would get on fin or even duta if you want to take the plunge ASAP. Hopefully, you can maintain and grow a bit and continue doing the side-swept thing or perhaps a Johnny Depp style parting (he's been a NW2 for ages). Do your research on side effects first, of course.

hey all,

so another update, more hair loss. It looks like once again my hairline is receding even more. And in the exact same way everytime. see that red bump? that is a scab from the dry skin on my hairline which i always get right before the hair goes. I wash my hair everyday and try to keep a cleanish scalp the best i can.

My question is:

Since I will still be in Uni for another month, is there anything I can do to stop this rapid hair loss?

and then when i do get home how do I get on some treatment? Do I see a certain type of doctor? Or can I just ask for fin?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    The side effects are very rare as with any medicine
    Whenever someone urges caution I don't quite get why you feel the need to dismiss it?

polarbro, consider Propecia very carefully and at least get some blood tests done to check how your testoserone and DHT levels are. I'd start yourself on a ketoconazole shampoo such as Nizoral or (better) Regenepure DR. Support this with a minoxidil based topical (I recommend the foam), but be prepared for a shed.

That's a good start.

Hope this helps.