+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Anecdotal reports indicate that lower doses of fin may reduce sides for some. But there is little reason to start on a lower dosage. Being afraid of sides does not make you more likely to get them.

OP should start with the recommended dosage for maximum efficacy. If sides persist, then you can move down to every other day etc.

But if it reduces DHT the same as other doses, why would it reduce side effects for some?

But it doesn't reduce DHT the same as others. Efficacy is dose dependent. I know people are going to try to refute this comment, but it is dose dependent. 5mg is better than 1mg is better than 0.2 mg is better than 0.01 mg. 1mg is the "sweet spot" as the dose response curve becomes nearly flat at that range.

You cannot take .5 mg fin EOD and expect it to be as good as 1mg fin ED.

I have basically the exact same recession as you OP, dandruffy and ithcy scalp with the red bumps and all, and then hair thinning and falling out.

I would recommend switching your current shampoo to a sulfate free one and using Nizoral the other times, like once or twice a week

Also, sorry to ask here but I've been thinking about taking propecia too but am also scared. I had really bad sides with 5% RU, I completely lost all sexual function but have now recovered, should I still take propecia?

currently three days in and nothing to report in terms of sides. I will update later after months of treatment with pictures just so i can see the progression! the only thing i noticed was on day one i had a fling with some girl and right after i a mild pain in my urethra (kinda like I had to pee, even though i do everytime, but after that the feeling lingered) but it went away in about 5 minutes so i assumed that was just my body adjusting to the hormone shift.

thanks for the reassurances, i knew i really had nothing to worry about but wanted to hear it from a few others. i wandered into propeciahelp by accident and whew i think "hysteria" is the right word. that said im still only a few days in. i am excited and will be very happy even if i only maintain what i currently have. seeing 10-15 hairs in my hand every time i shampoo my hair was more than enough for me to realize i am ready for the commitment (at least till i am at an acceptable age to bald :P).

thx again guys.

almost 2 weeks in and my hair is still thinning and shedding in shower. however i read that fin does come with a shed for some people and that real results do not appear until months into the treatment.

but my hair definitely does feel lighter than before which is annoying but if I had not started maybe it would be even worse!

no sides and even if some do appear I have pretty much resolved myself to keeping whatever I can, however I can, short of getting a transplant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-07-17 at 20.36.jpg

Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	22041  

stay on fin for at least a year to see how it's working. 3-4 months in or so you'll probably get a shed (of weak hairs) which is normal.s thican last a weeks to a few months. then after that you should see your hair fall lessen. the hairs that shed will usually return stronger and thicker. it can take up to a year to see full benefits. i'm getting on fin next week, best of luck to you man

If you've already lost that much hair and you're only twenty, I'd say things aren't looking good for you. It is clear you are ultra sensitive to DHT, so although Propecia might slow down your hair loss, you will still be a noticeably balding man by 24-25. Sorry dude

Toastman doesn't know what he's talking about.

Your hairloss isn't actually that bad at all yet. Be grateful you're ontop of it long before it's noticeable and while you still look good.

No idea what you mean when you say it's thin. Looks perfect density to me. I don't see any reason to think you've thinned anywhere aside from the obvious recession and very very early stage of crown thinning.

If you're worried about thinning in the future try Caboki. It's a miracle concealer for crown thinning amongst other things.
    I had a gigantic bald spot the size of a fist but no one could tell at all because I used Caboki.
    You can get a free sample here:
    http://www.caboki.com/free.html?gcli...FYdepgodIHwAjw
    I'd say you're a Medium Brown like me.

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    If you've already lost that much hair and you're only twenty, I'd say things aren't looking good for you. It is clear you are ultra sensitive to DHT, so although Propecia might slow down your hair loss, you will still be a noticeably balding man by 24-25. Sorry dude
    yea i am learning to accept this possibility

hair still thinning worse and worse, but I did miss 7 days when i forgot to take them on a trip.

balls and groin area ache a lot. although i am a bit of a hypochondriac about stuff. stopped all MJ use due to gyno on left side everything else working fine. thinking of starting rogaine, already on the nizoral and i use nioxion hair thinning on the other days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-08-08 at 22.04.jpg

Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	22420