+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Just get on fin.

It takes time to work for most people, so you'll regret waiting (should you be seriously considering taking it in the first place). Pissing around with ketocanazole exclusively is asinine -- the only ones who will tell you different are the ones who are afraid of finasteride.

Go see a dermatologist, get a prescription, get your blood work done. Blah, blah, blah, blah. Just get on finasteride if you want your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    because this "cautionary message" often implies a higher risk than really exists, leads them to propeciahelp (a website full of lies and propaganda), and prevents people from making informed decisions about the drug.

Yes a very small number of people experience sides, of those most will have them resolved by continuing with the treatment, and an even tinier minority claim that there are permanent sides (poorly documented and substantiated).

It's unwise to underestimate the power of the placebo effect. Scaring people about a drug only goes to further increase the incidence rate of sides.

That said, i agree the ideal route is to get blood and hormone tests before getting on finasteride. Keto and minox would help a lot too, but you need to avoid using too many treatments at once. Since your hair loss appears aggressive i would say you're better off using finasteride first, then after 6-12 months consider adding more to your regimen.
    thisssssssssssss

So I have finally gotten a hold of some 1mg Fin. I was very sure I wanted to take it for the longest time but of course I had to go snooping and man....some of these guys on the internet would act like this drug single handedly ruined their entire life. the only thing that is even remotely worrying is the sexual side effects lingering even after quitting.

i know i have to make the decision for myself, but could someone point me in the right direction or google search that would lead to the proper studies? If these side affects are even less than 5% in men then I would have to say most of these guys have problems and just try to blame the drug. But if the percentage is up near 15-20% I might consider just buzzing my head.

I really just want to take it till I am around 30 and can comfortably go bald. It just makes me sick to be so thin at 20....

Im sure this has been asked 10,000 times and apologize if so but can I really just nuke my body with this 1mg pill? I am reading guys talking about life altering affects after just 2 days of use.....

pic included to update on the thinning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-07-05 at 20.57.jpg

Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	21843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2013-07-05 at 20.58 #2.jpg

Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	21844  

Hey man,

I am not going to try and convince you to take fin or to not take fin. But I just want to give you some advice if you do decide to test it out.

First step, get blood tests. This would include, most importantly, bioavailable testosterone, LH, FSH, DHEA, DHT if possible etc.

Secondly, start on a low dose. I'd suggest 0.05mg/day. You will hear mixed opinions on this approach. The two advantage of starting low, specifically at 0.05mg/day, is that,
    1) Your DHT make a gradual increase rather than a rapid one. This is much easier on your body
    2) Studies showed 0.05mg/day inhibited nearly the same amount of scalp DHT as 1mg/day. Serum DHT was also decreased by 20% less from the 0.05mg/day. This is an ideal situation!

Also some food for thought, I read this recently and was intrigued by it...
    http://blog.alanjacobsmd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by polarbro View Post
    So I have finally gotten a hold of some 1mg Fin. I was very sure I wanted to take it for the longest time but of course I had to go snooping and man....some of these guys on the internet would act like this drug single handedly ruined their entire life. the only thing that is even remotely worrying is the sexual side effects lingering even after quitting.

i know i have to make the decision for myself, but could someone point me in the right direction or google search that would lead to the proper studies? If these side affects are even less than 5% in men then I would have to say most of these guys have problems and just try to blame the drug. But if the percentage is up near 15-20% I might consider just buzzing my head.

I really just want to take it till I am around 30 and can comfortably go bald. It just makes me sick to be so thin at 20....

Im sure this has been asked 10,000 times and apologize if so but can I really just nuke my body with this 1mg pill? I am reading guys talking about life altering affects after just 2 days of use.....

pic included to update on the thinning.
    Dude, chill.

You're balding. Want to do something about it? If so, just take ~1mg a day and move on with your life. Googling "finasteride side effects" isn't doing you any favors. Want the scientific literature? Go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

'Nuff said.

Sorry on the above post I meant to say ''Your DHT make a gradual decrease rather than a rapid one.''

If you already have the mindset that you are very worried by side effects, and cannot overcome it, take this into consideration..

This study shows scalp and serum DHT reduction by daily doses of 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5mg.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495374

unfortunately merck are tools and did not include 0.05mg/day in their dose ranging study, but even though its such a small dose, the effect on DHT is signifigant, and more importantly, on scalp DHT.

Their dose ranging studies do show that 1mg outperormed 0.2mg by 20-25% in terms of haircount, so that is another option for a dose to start at, as we know for certain its efficacy. Could always work your way up to 1mg if you have no side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Dude, chill.

You're balding. Want to do something about it? If so, just take ~1mg a day and move on with your life. Googling "finasteride side effects" isn't doing you any favors. Want the scientific literature? Go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

'Nuff said.
    This. Stop listening to the hysteria about this drug. The people who have problems or claim to have problems are 1,000 times more vocal than the people who have no problems. You are way too young to go bald unnecessarily and spend your 20's obsessed with hair loss. Take the pill, get off the Internet, and go live life.

I second the fin daily. Take the drug, get off the internet, and move on with your life. Side effects are uncommon, and usually dissipate after stopping the drug. This drug is great for maintaining and keeping what you have, so the earlier you start, the better off you'll be. Most likely, taking fin will be very anticlimactic for you, you are unlikely to see side effects, shedding, or massive regrowth, but simply put, you'll feel the same as you were before, and have the same hair.

For a real life case study on a similar drug, dutasteride, go to www dot twinshairloss dot com.

I can point you to double blind clinical trials for both fin and dut. I have attached a 10 year study on fin, and a study of fin v dut. I am not suggesting you take dut btw, just introducing you to the literature. Read up on this, and be knowledgeable!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Hey man,
    Good link btw, interesting stuff, and makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Hey man,

I am not going to try and convince you to take fin or to not take fin. But I just want to give you some advice if you do decide to test it out.

First step, get blood tests. This would include, most importantly, bioavailable testosterone, LH, FSH, DHEA, DHT if possible etc.

Secondly, start on a low dose. I'd suggest 0.05mg/day. You will hear mixed opinions on this approach. The two advantage of starting low, specifically at 0.05mg/day, is that,
    1) Your DHT make a gradual increase rather than a rapid one. This is much easier on your body
    2) Studies showed 0.05mg/day inhibited nearly the same amount of scalp DHT as 1mg/day. Serum DHT was also decreased by 20% less from the 0.05mg/day. This is an ideal situation!

What I don't understand is that if 0.05mg a day inhibits the same amount of DHT as a say 1mg, why would it help to reduce possible sides? And reduce your DHT gradually?

Secondly how do you get a dose as small as 0.05mg? Do you just keeping cutting up the pill?