Threaded View

Default To those considering having kids...

Take this from me, someone who started balding a bit over a year ago at the age of 16: Don't

As sad as it may make some of you aspiring fathers feel, having a kid when you yourself have the MPB gene is unbelievably irresponsible. It's a curse you place upon your child that you cannot control. Nothing is worse than balding at a young age and not having your parents, the people who you always had there to help you get through things, be unable to do anything about it.

There's no substitute for looks at a young age. Not intelligence, not physique, not personality, nothing. You can reconcile your son that a man is more than his hair, which may be true, but it's a miserable existence. Losing your hair means you are losing your social worth. Going from good or even normal looking to abnormal is one of the worst things one can feel as a teenager. You lose out on so much opportunity simply because you're going through a process that signifies aging. No matter what you guys try and tell yourselves, balding at a young age is not normal, it's not okay, and it certainly is disgusting.

Don't think that I'm a guy with nothing going for him either. I have a girlfriend, I have several close friends, and I have been accepted to some very prestigious schools (including four Ivy leagues, with one of which being HYP, not mentioning which) with nearly all expenses paid. This is not to brag, in fact, it's the opposite. Even with all of these things going for me, I'm still miserable. I don't want to get up in the morning because I know it's a tiresome endeavor trying to deal with this debilitating condition. I currently have long hair and style it to conceal my receding hairline and thinning. While it works, it's a process that controls my whole day: I have to wear hats when I'm outside, even if it's for a brief moment, since the wind destroys my hair. I don't go on rollercoasters anymore. I can't even meet with people without elaborate styling - it's a nightmare.

And please, to all the "Buzz it" guys out there, understand that buzzing your head at a young age, with a receding hairline, is one of the dumbest things you can do. Nobody looks normal with that style. It doesn't look good. No one is sincere with the "compliments" so many of you claim to get.

What's more, women are certainly more shallow than men. Unattractive women are ignored by men, but unattractive men are ridiculed by women. A woman hates an ugly man. Hates. Not pity, or sorrow, or indifference, pure hatred. I've seen many kids my age get ostracized simply because of their looks, whereas persons with worse morals are accepted simply because they look normal or are attractive. Don't think personality matters that much at this age - it doesn't. Sure, you can coerce a girl to like you if you're persistent enough, but an attractive man will have to do much, much, much less work to get a girl, as well as get that girl to be loyal to him.

So please, aspiring fathers, don't subdue your children to this. I'm expecting a lot of backlash from people who claim balding isn't all that bad (ironically despite the fact that they're on this site). Understand that you're living in denial. It is bad, maybe not the worst thing, but certainly bad enough to ruin one's self esteem, especially at a young age. I've talked to older men who claim that they've gotten over it, even though many of them wear hats everywhere and try and style their hair to cover their bald spots. Don't allow your fragile ego and attempts at proving you aren't insecure ruin someone else's life.

Also, please don't tell me to "Get over it." I know that I'm going to have to, I'm making steps everyday towards that. I'll never "Get over it" fully though, it's impossible. Just realize that if you have a son who will experience this crap, he will certainly blame you, and he will be 100% justified in doing so considering you've read this.