+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Oh god, it's started! Could really use some advice!

Hi all,
    This is my first post on this forum, be nice. I could really use some advice from people with a bit more experience.

So here is my crappy hair as it is now.

Some background.
    I am 27 years old, and my hair had been very slowly receeding fom my early twenties. However, in the last six months, the hairloss has gone from barely noticeable to the full on MPB you see going on there.
    It is no coincidence that six months ago I began a very stressful new Job which is also in a very male dominated work environment (Army Officer Training) and im pretty sure that this combination of stress and testosterone has had a pretty devistating effect on what hair i had left up top.

I knew Hairloss was coming, as my father and grandfathers all lost their hair, as did my younger brother who lost his much younger than me, so i was ready to just accept it and shave it all off, however Im now determined to get it back.

Long story short, Im getting divorced and dont want to be bald and single as I approach my 30s.

So I went to visit the good people at the belgravia centre in London Last week and was reccommended a combination of Propecia and Minoxidil. It would cost about 300pounds per quarter.

No doubt some of you on here will have had experience with these so I was really interested to hear what advice you had.

Have I left it too late?
    Can I get my hopes up?

As a side note, in the not too distant past I was a model for Loreal and Tony & Guy, so im sure you can imagine how losing my hair is not something I was really happy about, as much as I had accepted it as inevitable.

TLDR;
    Been to hair loss clinic, offered Propecia and Minoxidil combo. What is my realistic prognosis?

I really appreciate your help in the matter, Its not really something I want to ask anyone else about.

It's not too late to retain what you have, really. Regrowth is unlikely, but happens in some cases. Minoxidil is a growth stimulant, while propecia is a dht blocker.

Minoxidil and Propecia are the only two meds approved by the FDA to combat hair loss. Propecia (finasteride) has the potential for sexual side effects; research these well before committing.

Nizoral shampoo can be used as an adjunct treatment to the two above mentioned.

Beyond that, there are grey market (experimental) treatments. These are more iffy, as they haven't been cleared by the FDA, so research is a must. Use at your own risk.

All the best.

You need to act straight away. Get on FDA approved meds before you lose anymore, you still have time to save what you have
    £1200 a year seems a lot for meds but if you can afford it, fine otherwise use generic products which are cheaper and work the same

Wow, thanks guys for the quick replies.

To be honest, I really hate how my hair looks now, So if realistically, I cant get it back, and im only going to maintain this mess, maybe its not worth it at all.

Thoughts?

Fin will likely keep what you have left, But people have achieved very good results on Min. So it could work for you

Is "Fin" Propecia?

Quote Originally Posted by tedcase View Post
    Is "Fin" Propecia?
    yes it is bro

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, and Im sorry to keep bumping my own thread,

What I really want to know, if possible, is realistically, What are my chances of getting a decent head of hair again?
    As in, 50% after a year, 60%? 10%

Its just a lot of money and time to invest if really i could save it and buy a transplant one day, or a nice hat.

If i do go ahead, i promise to keep regular photos to share with others in my situation.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tedcase View Post
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, and Im sorry to keep bumping my own thread,

What I really want to know, if possible, is realistically, What are my chances of getting a decent head of hair again?
    As in, 50% after a year, 60%? 10%

Its just a lot of money and time to invest if really i could save it and buy a transplant one day, or a nice hat.

If i do go ahead, i promise to keep regular photos to share with others in my situation.
    Impossible to say. The more recent the loss, the more likely you are to regrow. Make a decision and start treatment ASAP. If you decide on a transplant, you'll have to go on fin permanently anyway so you might as well start it now to see if you can get regrowth. Just do research and be aware of the potential side effects first, then pull the ****ing trigger.

its hard to say as everybody react differently. you could have little or no results or you could have absolutely amazing results.
    Its best to start now and give it a year