Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andreas
    • Apr 2013

Plucking hair vs. scientific evidence

Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that hairs being pulled/plucked out will never grow back the same? I have done this on some parts of my hair, and thought it would grow back in a matter of months, but it never grew back in the same density/thickness.
  • Shan
    • Feb 2013

these myths relate to waxing. the more you wax the thinner the hair comes back.
    i doubt its true

Comment

• jp1979
      • Apr 2013

Plucking hairs is most commonly used on the eyebrows. I wonder is there any anecdotal evidence out there that eyebrow hairs do not grow back the same way again?

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
        • Nov 2008

Continued pulling or plucking of the same hairs will cause them to become thinner/ finer over time and may eventually cause permanent damage to the follicle.
        Dr. Glenn Charles
        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• beauw
          • Apr 2013

It all depends where on the body.

In places where the skin is delicate, like the eyebrows and eyelashes, which is prone to scarring then yes, hair could grow back finer or not at all.

In less sensitive areas with better blood flow to follicles, like the back or chest, waxing might have a minimal effect on regrowth.

Comment

• beauw
            • Apr 2013

And sometimes it stimulates it; think of laser hair removal with a certain amount of energy applied to the bulb which can induce the opposite effect.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
              IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
              • Nov 2008

From years of laser hair removal experience I agree that hair follicles in certain areas of the body are more persistant than others.
              Dr. Glenn Charles
              Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
              View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

Working...