+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 18 With a receding hairline, recommendations for over-the-counter treatment?

Hey guys,

I am 18 with a relatively bad receding hairline, it sucks and depresses me almost everyday. My dad is 49 and has lost pretty much all his hair on the top of his head, but looking at pictures and talking with him it seems he didn't have a receding hairline as bad as me or one at all at age 18. I remember in 6th grade a kid making a comment on how i have a receding hairline, which is why I began to believe it was my natural hairline cause it was so early, but in the last couple months i've realized from the looks of that it must be receding.

I've been thinking about fin but I worried about the side effects so for now I want to try to get the best over-the-counter treatments for a receding hairline (I don't have any thinning at the crown yet). I've done a bit of research but cannot come up with a fairly conclusive list of treatments, this seems like a very reputable forum with people on here that care and know what they are talking about, so I was hoping to get some input on what my plan of action should be.

so far I'm thinking of:

-multivitamin and fish oil daily,
    -saw palmetto supplement-would it be better topically?
    -nizoral every other day - how come this stuff is so hard to find? Any stuff that you think might be the same typeof stuff but better?
    -nioxin as main shampoo

I know rogaine is not supposed to work on receding hairlines, but is it worth a try? could it possibly cause more hair loss if i get on it and then stop using it?

is there anything behind using essential oils to promote growth like sage or rosemary?

if anyone has any ideas to add to the list please let me know, such as supplements or anything!

thanks
    Dan

I'd trade hairlines with you in a heartbeat.

You need a dht blocker like Finasteride, but you're too young for that garbage. RU58841 works just as good if not better than finasteride with much less risk of side effects as its a topical treatment.

Minoxidil (Rogaine) can work on hairlines. Although shedding is quite frequent with Minox so be prepared to lose a lot of hair when starting out. Don't worry, it regrow anyway. You should use RU58841 everywhere on the scalp to hold mpb from spreading back. Minox will only regrow so since you already have density you should stick to stopping AGA (androgenic alopecia). Do this and you won't go bald.

Nizoral and saw palmetto are both safe so you can continue taking those.

If youre feeling adventurous try CB-03-01 as its supposed to be 4x as effective as finasteride without side effects. It's topical as well. It aint cheap but it does last a while as you only need to use a little of it.

Good luck. And don't worry about your hair, it looks fantastic. Most of us on the forum here would kill for that kind of hair.

If you're worried about sides, then I would not recommend Fin.
    Saw P could equally give you sides in higher dosages.
    Rogaine is your best option

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    If you're worried about sides, then I would not recommend Fin.
    Saw P could equally give you sides in higher dosages.
    Rogaine is your best option
    Saw Palmetto gives me sides, not extreme but a definite drop in libido. Erections are still as great as ever though.

Rogaine (Minox) and RU combined will be most effective. However Rogaine on its own wont stop further hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    You need a dht blocker like Finasteride, but you're too young for that garbage. RU58841 works just as good if not better than finasteride with much less risk of side effects as its a topical treatment.

Minoxidil (Rogaine) can work on hairlines. Although shedding is quite frequent with Minox so be prepared to lose a lot of hair when starting out. Don't worry, it regrow anyway. You should use RU58841 everywhere on the scalp to hold mpb from spreading back. Minox will only regrow so since you already have density you should stick to stopping AGA (androgenic alopecia). Do this and you won't go bald.

Nizoral and saw palmetto are both safe so you can continue taking those.

If youre feeling adventurous try CB-03-01 as its supposed to be 4x as effective as finasteride without side effects. It's topical as well. It aint cheap but it does last a while as you only need to use a little of it.
    +1

10doe

Interesting about RU and CB, its nice to have hope with a product such as CB.

What do you guys think about RU and how safe it is? This could have been a billion dollar product for a company, but they decided to drop it, there has to be a good reason for that.

I know this is a bit stupid of me to say considering how desperate I am to stop my hairless, but i'm not sure if I want to be a guinea pig with new chemicals from china. It does seem promising though! something 4x better than fin, but with no side effects!

if i was you, id stick to FDA approved medication

Propecia or your going to go bald not much else to really say. Propecia is much safer better choice then experimenting with dangerous untested chemicals. I mean your really going to take a powerful unproven untested chemical from an unknown source? I mean how much more can you gamble with your health?
    Oh I didnt read your age. I would go talk to a good derm that knows about MPB and do what he says. He might give the go ahead for propecia or maybe rogain for a few years until your a little older.

agree with the above post, propecia should be your first line of attack or defence

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Propecia or your going to go bald not much else to really say. Propecia is much safer better choice then experimenting with dangerous untested chemicals. I mean your really going to take a powerful unproven untested chemical from an unknown source? I mean how much more can you gamble with your health?
    Oh I didnt read your age. I would go talk to a good derm that knows about MPB and do what he says. He might give the go ahead for propecia or maybe rogain for a few years until your a little older.
    So you recommend him gambling with his dick being functional?

Are you crazy? RU has been around for ages, no has had any serious side effects other than mild side effects that Finasteride has. This guy is WAY too young for Finasteride, his body is still developing and you recommend for him to screw with his hormones? This is TERRIBLE advice.