+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Okay, I think ill make an appointment with my dermatologist and talk to him about propecia.

Do you think it is worth to get on rogaine with just a receding hairline? could it do me bad if I develop a dependency on it and then suddenly I stop using it?

About shampoo, could you guys give me some input on what would be best for me? I would buy Nizoral but its so hard to find! maybe getting a prescription from my doctor would be good?

Are there any other alternatives that are as good or better than nizoral, if any one has any ideas please let me know! I have a lot of dandruff whenever I run my hand through my hair so these shampoos would help me in two ways!

Quote Originally Posted by ddyer34 View Post
    Okay, I think ill make an appointment with my dermatologist and talk to him about propecia.

Do you think it is worth to get on rogaine with just a receding hairline? could it do me bad if I develop a dependency on it and then suddenly I stop using it?

About shampoo, could you guys give me some input on what would be best for me? I would buy Nizoral but its so hard to find! maybe getting a prescription from my doctor would be good?

Are there any other alternatives that are as good or better than nizoral, if any one has any ideas please let me know! I have a lot of dandruff whenever I run my hand through my hair so these shampoos would help me in two ways!
    Nizoral is king. But find yourself a shampoo with saw palmetto, l-arginine and vitamin E. Won't do much to be honest, but better than other crap like loreal or fructis. I'd recommend using MiN products;

http://minnewyork.com/apothecary-1/p...g-shampoo.html

Ingredients;
    nclude Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Saw Palmetto, Procapil, Copper Peptide Y3. Please email for the full ingredient deck.

I'm gonna be trying to get my hands on their styling pastes as they contain azelaic acid and saw palmetto. Truth is though, if it doesnt penetrate skin and get to the follicle, it wont do much... but better than nothing.

This shampoo is good too;

http://www.avalonorganics.com/biotin...kening-shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by ddyer34 View Post

Get a rx for 2% keto (nizoral) shampoo. It is what they used in the studies that showed benefit for MPB and it does not go into shortage periodically like the 1% seems to.
    I have used it for 3 years, maybe more, with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Get a rx for 2% keto (nizoral) shampoo. It is what they used in the studies that showed benefit for MPB and it does not go into shortage periodically like the 1% seems to.
    I have used it for 3 years, maybe more, with no issues
    do you use it only once aweek as recommended by most forum members ?

Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    do you use it only once aweek as recommended by most forum members ?
    I use every 3 days, once in awhile I go 4 without. At different times in the past I used it anywhere from 1-4x a week

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    So you recommend him gambling with his dick being functional?

Are you crazy? RU has been around for ages, no has had any serious side effects other than mild side effects that Finasteride has. This guy is WAY too young for Finasteride, his body is still developing and you recommend for him to screw with his hormones? This is TERRIBLE advice.
    I don't understand why people advocate Propecia as a first line of defense when somebody is thinning or believing they are.

Agree Hellouser, that advice is absolutely horrendous. Thank god I wasn't thinning at 18 and joined this forum or I would have possibly tried Propecia based on that type of advice and did god knows what to my developing body.

I would recommend FDA approved Minoxodil as a start and consider RU if you like to take one step further in the form of blocking DHT. I would stay away from Propecia at your age at ALL COSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by StayThick View Post
    I don't understand why people advocate Propecia as a first line of defense when somebody is thinning or believing they are.
    Because if you do not block DHT you are wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Because if you do not block DHT you are wasting your time.
    Recommending Propecia at his age is absolutely terrible advice. You do not know the impact that can make on his physical development moving forward.

It's too risky IMHO for him to even consider this at this point.

From my experience I have found kirklands minoxidil 5% to be cheap and very effective, but I noticed my hair thinning at an early stage, and from what I hear; the worse it gets the harder it is to get back. A slight amount of dandruff and an itchy scalp in the first few months were the side effects for me. Nizoral shampoo worked effectively to mitigate those effects. I am 21 now, and have taken these products for 2 years and am very happy with the results.

In terms of propecia, I might be wrong, but after visiting several forums, I have read some worrying side effects, ie loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, and worse yet: depression. I avoided the product because I figured if there is a risk that I lose the will to be happy, then there's very little point to maintaining hair.

Internet speculation on the product aside, my friend, the same age as myself, started finasteride and shortly after developed a severe depression and loss of libido. It took several months after he stopped taking finasteride to recover. Perhaps it was other factors in his life causing the psychological distress and libido loss, however the timing is awfully suspicious.

I would recommend trying the safer options that have inherently less risk before going all in. Minoxidil 5% (twice a day) and nizoral shampoo 2% keta (twice a week) has worked as well as I could have hoped by ceasing further hairloss and restoring roughly 90% of what was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by StayThick View Post
    Recommending Propecia at his age is absolutely terrible advice. You do not know the impact that can make on his physical development moving forward.

It's too risky IMHO for him to even consider this at this point.
    Propecia is for 18 year olds+.