+ Reply to Thread

Question Finasteride itching head

Hi, im 18 and have recently started finasteride as my temples are going back and my brother who is 2 years older than me has a noticeable receding hairline, so i am trying to stop this before it goes back even further.

I have been on finpecia for 5 days now and since have had a light itch all over my scalp, it's not really bad but is this a bad or good sign? is it a sign the drug is doing good or will i have an alergic reaction any help is appreciated!! thanks!!

please note i didn't actually itch before taking the drug, but have started to itch whilst on it

Usually people have the itch before they start Finasteride but I guess anything is possible. It could be your body's response to the drop in DHT. Just monitor it and see if it disappears or not. Usually having the itch isn't a good sign because people usually experience it in the areas affected by MPB.

I have been taking Fin now for 4 months and still have periods when i have the itch around the temple areas of my head, when i scratch i loose around 4-5 hairs from that one part of my head. Most of the time its on the morning when i wake up around 7AM, i take the standard 1MG of Fin daily at around 8AM.

Recently the itch has got more frequent which i guess can only be a bad thing as it occurs in the area that suffer from hair loss/mpb.

I'm keeping faith with Fin and hope it will stop the itch and the hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDerbyshire View Post
    I have been taking Fin now for 4 months and still have periods when i have the itch around the temple areas of my head, when i scratch i loose around 4-5 hairs from that one part of my head. Most of the time its on the morning when i wake up around 7AM, i take the standard 1MG of Fin daily at around 8AM.

Recently the itch has got more frequent which i guess can only be a bad thing as it occurs in the area that suffer from hair loss/mpb.

I'm keeping faith with Fin and hope it will stop the itch and the hair loss.
    I take my fin first thing in the morning 8/9 AM. If I feel the itch, it's usually around 10 pm at night. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't be taking smaller, more frequent doses.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I take my fin first thing in the morning 8/9 AM. If I feel the itch, it's usually around 10 pm at night. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't be taking smaller, more frequent doses.
    Half life of fin is 6 hours. Not sure if splitting the dose helps but before dut I started doing 1.25 mg in the morning and 1.25 mg 12 hours later. Before that I was just taking 1.25 mg in the morning, but when I decided to increase dose frequency I was too paranoid to cut the amount of any 1 dose if you know what I mean.

The itch usually occurs before taking Fin AKA, the DHT itch.

I'm contemplating cutting the pills in half or maybe trying to get pills that come in 0.5G and take 1 in the morning and then take one around 4/5 in the afternoon so I'm splitting the dosage over the day, i don't want to go to taking more then 1mg a day just yet.

I find i can go 3/4 days with very little DHT itching and then have 1/2 bad days, i was hoping Fin was going to put an end to this as I'm now 4 months in to taking the drug.

Wink

My experience with the itch isn't exactly the same but I'll give my two cents nevertheless. I began experiencing the itch after I quit fin (due to sexual side effects). I never had the itch before taking finasteride or while I was on it, only right after I quit. I looked all over the Internet for some explanation and I found out that scalp itching and occasionally severe dandruff can be cause by hormonal changes, regardless of whether or not it is an increase or decrease in DHT. It is sometimes simply the hormone fluctuation that causes the itch.

Using prescription strength 2% ketoconazole shampoo helped me a great deal to lessen the itch. Another suggestion I have for scalp itching that a member of another hair loss forum recommended to me is using Epsom salts. Dissolving a scoop of Epsom salts into a water/shampoo mixture and then using it to shampoo my scalp a couple times a week significantly helped to reduce my scalp itch.

My suggestion is to use a ketokonazole shampoo and wait it out to see if the itch goes away once your hormones have rebalanced after starting fin. Also, give Epsom salts a try if you feel comfortable using them on your head and the itching is still bothering you. Neutrogena T-gel is another good shampoo to help lessen the itch. It is unusual to begin experiencing itching after starting fin but I believe it is just the hormonal changes and they'll eventually balance out although it may take a little time.