+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Am I likely to get fin side effects?

Hi all, just a quick question
    A little bit of background first

I am 19 years old and facial/body hair wise-a late bloomer. Other aspects of puberty seem to have completed for me.

Since last September I have had lots of shedding from the top and front of my head, no receding hairline (as of yet) but my middle parting has definately grown.

This coincided exactly with the recent development of facial hair.
    I understand that DHT is responsible for both the growth of facial hair and the loss of head hair.

As someone who was sexually active and had no sexual difficulties prior to developing facial hair and losing head hair from recently elevated levels of DHT- could it be an indicator for my tolerance to the reduced levels I will experience from finasteride? Am I likely to experience side effects of the sexual kind?

I ask because I was sexually functioning before the DHT kicked in to kill my head hair and grow my facial hair.

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

(On a side note-my fiancé ADORES my current full head of hair but has more love for something else... so sides are an important issue to us)

Worrying about rare symptoms of sides is an indicator that you should not start fin. Most sides are psychological and you will start looking for sides when they're not there.

But if you are serious about wanting to keep your hair, take fin and quit the forum

I agree with the poster above. Don't even consider using if you are worrying about sides because you are surely to get them. I'm not saying they are all psychological but the mind can be a powerful tool.

Thanks guys for your speedy replies

In all honesty, I'm not too fussed about them, if anyone could just give some advice

I'm gradually leaning towards the idea of getting onto it because I reckoned that I was doing fine sexually without the excess DHT

I just wanted some advice on my opinion before I take the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by abdul View Post
    Hi all, just a quick question
    A little bit of background first

I am 19 years old and facial/body hair wise-a late bloomer. Other aspects of puberty seem to have completed for me.

Since last September I have had lots of shedding from the top and front of my head, no receding hairline (as of yet) but my middle parting has definately grown.

This coincided exactly with the recent development of facial hair.
    I understand that DHT is responsible for both the growth of facial hair and the loss of head hair.

As someone who was sexually active and had no sexual difficulties prior to developing facial hair and losing head hair from recently elevated levels of DHT- could it be an indicator for my tolerance to the reduced levels I will experience from finasteride? Am I likely to experience side effects of the sexual kind?

I ask because I was sexually functioning before the DHT kicked in to kill my head hair and grow my facial hair.

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

(On a side note-my fiancé ADORES my current full head of hair but has more love for something else... so sides are an important issue to us)
    I do not know any way to predict how likely you are to get sides from fin (exception is guys who have not completed puberty, they WILL have negative effect from fin)
    If you go by controlled studies then no developed male is likely to get sides

I've been on it for two months 1.25mg a day and I've had no side effects whatsoever and it didn't take me long to make the decision to do it. I've never been one to worry about side effects. It's best to focus on the positives of taking something.

Every medication can have side effects. The risks of Fin have been blown out of proportion.

It's not really possible to know with certainty, but a blood test to check your DHT and testosterone levels may provide a clue.

Also, be clear on this because it's important: there is nothing "psychological" about a sexual health side effect caused by a drug that changes how your hormones function.

It constantly amazes me how many people think they are qualified psychologists on this topic. I get that anxiety might cause cause erectile dysfunction, but perhaps one of them will explain how it can also cause changes to sensitivity and the volume & quantity of semen. Only a hormonal change would cause such a physical manifestation.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I get that anxiety might cause cause erectile dysfunction, but perhaps one of them will explain how it can also cause changes to sensitivity and the volume & quantity of semen.
    For hundreds of years doctors have known that anxiety over a specific thing, such as a medication, can manifest itself into real physical symptoms. To this day, no one has ever been able to figure out why that can happen. They just know that it can happen. This is a very real phenomenon. To continue to insist that it cannot possibly be in your head is not a very educated stance. It is a stance that is doing more harm than good both to yourself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    For hundreds of years doctors have known that anxiety over a specific thing, such as a medication, can manifest itself into real physical symptoms. To this day, no one has ever been able to figure out why that can happen. They just know that it can happen. This is a very real phenomenon. To continue to insist that it cannot possibly be in your head is not a very educated stance. It is a stance that is doing more harm than good both to yourself and others.
    The mind is a very powerful too.

Chrisis just because you did not have a good experience on Fin does not mean everybody else will too.