+ Reply to Thread

Default Is Suffering from Hair Loss purely a psychological/mental suffering???

The reason I ask is because:

1. I see men all the time who are comfortable being bald. And there are others like me, who are very uncomfortable with this.

2. There are some days where I do not feel as bad about being a Norwood 6 pure bald sufferer. And I do not know why? Also, the exact opposite happens where some days, I feel ultra sad because of my hair loss.

3. When I drink enough alcohal, I forget about my hair loss problems. It's as if it doesn't exist.

----------------------
    These are the reasons I am led to believe that perhaps the suffering of hair loss is purely psychological or mental.

So that leads us to wonder: What is the cure???
    Do we simply give up the desire for more hair....If the desire leaves, we are less unhappy....

No. It's rooted in the physical and has physical implications.

The one's who are devastated the most are those who start balding in their teens. It hits them hard socially, in their most important years of their young life, friends make fun of them in what seems like an endearing way to the friend, but it is hurtful at the end of the day to the balding person. Every body mentioning that your hair is falling, will take its toll on you. You can one day just say, you know what, i'm going to shave and forget about it. Then you go out with your shaved head and one negative comment some one makes will destroy you.

So I don't blame the balding person for mentally suffering, I blame society and how they treat balding teens/men who are not a celebrity/athlete.

Not saying that older men can not be devastated by this disease, but if it happens to you when you are older, you are able to take it slightly better because you are possibly married and already had all the fun you were going to have. When it happens before your real life even starts, it is definitely physically scarring.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightTL View Post
    The reason I ask is because:

1. I see men all the time who are comfortable being bald. And there are others like me, who are very uncomfortable with this.

2. There are some days where I do not feel as bad about being a Norwood 6 pure bald sufferer. And I do not know why? Also, the exact opposite happens where some days, I feel ultra sad because of my hair loss.

3. When I drink enough alcohal, I forget about my hair loss problems. It's as if it doesn't exist.

----------------------
    These are the reasons I am led to believe that perhaps the suffering of hair loss is purely psychological or mental.

So that leads us to wonder: What is the cure???
    Do we simply give up the desire for more hair....If the desire leaves, we are less unhappy....
    The key is in being confident and not showing anyone that you are embarrassed by your situation. Try to improve your looks in all other ways you can, like decreasing body fat and keeping a cool facial hair style. Also helps if you have a great skull shape. You would notice that most of the bald guys with low body fat and some facial hair, look good. Its the fat bald guys with moon faces who really look ugly. When people say bald is ugly, they probably have the image of an old fat bald guy with a moon face in mind.

Since I keep myself in shape and fortunately have a very good skull shape that goes well with my face, baldness doesn't bother me that much. Also I'm graying anyway, so even if I had hair I might have shaved it to hide the gray.

If it happens in your teens and early 20s it's going to cause much more mental anguish, imo. Before my hair started thinning I never thought about it. Ever. If I saw someone with thinning hair or a shaved head I never gave it a second thought. It wasn't until I was junior in college I realized how much it can affect a man mentally and in their dating life. My best friend's little brother was a year younger than us and hung out in our social circle during college. We would all go to parties, bars, games, etc., together. He was a little shy, but was a good looking guy that never had problems picking up girls. Then around age 20 to 21 (and a half) his hairline receded to the middle of his head. I had no idea someone could lose their hair that fast. It was pretty ****ing scary. I remember him saying something like "I just aged 15 years in 15 months." I didn't want to say it to his face, but he was right. He looked like he was easily in his 30s. It had a pretty drastic implications on his dating life. During undergrad your dating environment is 18 to 24 year olds. Girls in that age group do not flock to balding men who look like they're 35. It is what it is. I will say this though, him sitting around and pouting about it didn't get him anywhere. He ended up joining the rowing team, getting in great shape, and changing his attitude. Did it grow his hair back? No. But he still dated some pretty good looking girls during our last few years there. If you don't catch your balding early or don't plan on fighting it you better have plan in this place to compensate.