+ Reply to Thread

Default Hairline damaged from plucking?

Hi there,

I'm a 22-year-old male with short hair. About eight months ago, I thinned out the frontal area along my hairline with a kitchen knife. I wanted to get rid of the curls and make my hair on top a little bit thinner. It was a stupid decision, really, I should have left it in the hands of a professional as I already have pretty thin hair (though I am not balding or anything).

I fear some strands of hairs got plucked during the process. It also seems my edges got pushed back a little. When I wash my hair it is more fragile than ever. When I run my fingers trough it, it feels very soft and individual hairs are floppy. It looks good when dry, and there are no bald spots but it's just thinner than usual at the roots. Also, my natural curly and wavy hair is now straight at the front. So I can't style it like I usually did (which was through highlighting the curls)

Anyway, ever since i plucked my hairline, some of the hairs grew back fairly quickly and I can see some progress in volume and thickness (though I am not 100% sure). When I examine the hairline very closely i still notice short new hairs appearing all over the area from where they were plucked. But still the texture of my hair doesn't seem like it was before.

I am using castor oil and extra virgin olive oil now on a regular basis, gently massaging it on the hairline. And I take some vitamin supplements too. I also apply conditioner with keratin protein when I shampoo my hair.

My question is: is there any chance my plucked hairline regains its former texture and consistency? If so: how many months or years does it take for a hairline to return to normal/healthy after being plucked/thinned out at the roots? I hope it's not permanently damaged...

its not so easy to just pluck hair out. If that was the case then everyone who plucks their eyebrows would only have to do it once and done.
    You'll be fine. Anything that may not come back was potentially probably on its way out but at 22 just cut a crew until it returns to normal.

Yeah you'll be fine, it will take a while to get back to normal but it will in time. Plucking hairs out wont destroy the follicle.

Any idea how long this could take? I've been dying to know, but no one seems to have an exact estimate.