+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face 20 year old: how to maintain?

I am 20 years old & I atleast want to maintain my hair ! but like I said in other post, I dont wanna get on Finasteride because of the side effects.. I have about 90 percent of my hair..
    My question is will Minoxidil or spiro or nizoral atleast maintain my hair so I can keep what I have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenkieth16 View Post
    I am 20 years old & I atleast want to maintain my hair ! but like I said in other post, I dont wanna get on Finasteride because of the side effects.. I have about 90 percent of my hair..
    My question is will Minoxidil or spiro or nizoral atleast maintain my hair so I can keep what I have ?
    I've been using minoxidil since I was 19 years old (2½ years ago). It has slowed down my hair loss for sure but didn't stop it. I bought a ketokonazole schampoo from the local pharmacy about a year ago and have been using it since then.

The hair loss was pretty slow the first year with minoxidil but have accelerated the last year. I never had the courage to start with fin because of the sides but I sure do regret it today that I didn't start with it during that time my hair loss wasn't that severe.

Start with minoxidil and nizoral, it might work better for you.

They will certainly help but you will continue to lose hair. You are gonna need some form of DHT blocker (ie:Fin, RU, etc.) to really combat your hair loss. You could try some Saw Palmetto and see how you respond to that which is said to be a very weak DHT inhibitor.

I've been on Fin for six weeks and have had no side effects. You can always stop taking it if there are any sides. I wish I'd looked into it when I was 20, I'd have much more hair left now.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    They will certainly help but you will continue to lose hair. You are gonna need some form of DHT blocker (ie:Fin, RU, etc.) to really combat your hair loss. You could try some Saw Palmetto and see how you respond to that which is said to be a very weak DHT inhibitor.
    I said it already once and I won't repeat it again: Don't parrot this nonsense! Can you think logically? Don't you know that minoxidil is able to REGROW hair? How could it then fail in maintenance?!

There is no fundamental difference between 5-AR blockers and minoxidil. Both work against hairloss, only in different ways. 5-AR blockers address DHT, minoxidil addresses "bad" prostaglandins that increase as a result of DHT stimulation. There are people using minoxidil for 20-25 years successfully. I myself used 2-5% minoxidil alone for 15,5 years and I had no problem to keep my Norwood 1.5 hairline.

We won't dispute the fact that 5% minoxidil is generally weaker than finasteride, but remember that minoxidil has a dose-related effect. The 5% version is still suboptimal for a large percentage of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenkieth16 View Post
    To be frank, several days ago I read a leaflet to aspirine and it was much more frightening than the list of side effects related to the use of finasteride. If you don't want to use finasteride because of "side effects" appearing in 1-2% men, then you couldn't use any drug in this world.

As for minoxidil, I can repeat, what I wrote above: People can use minoxidil successfully for decades, but you have no guarantee that you will fall into this category. 5% minoxidil is apparently less effective than finasteride. You can try higher strengths (10-15%), but I wouldn't recommend it, because companies that produce them emerge and disappear rather quickly. Furthermore, these high-strength minoxidil versions are a Russian roulette and they can damage your hair. On the other hand, if minoxidil works, it works within 2-3 months (unlike 5-AR blockers that can take you through an ordeal of sheds lasting 1+ year). And you should also realisticly evaluate your discipline, because minoxidil doesn't forgive sloppy application and must be used every day (until you die).

But my personal opinion is that every MPB sufferer should jump straight on dutasteride, especially when he is young. Why to play with less effective drugs and risk frustration, when you have dutasteride than can give you a nearly 100% guarantee of success? There is no rational argument against it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    But my personal opinion is that every MPB sufferer should jump straight on dutasteride, especially when he is young. Why to play with less effective drugs and risk frustration, when you have dutasteride than can give you a nearly 100% guarantee of success? There is no rational argument against it.
    Build a time machine and tell this to my 6-month-ago self. If I woulda just manned up and got on the fin (wouldn't bother with dut off the bat), I'd be NW1.5 for life. Guess I'll settle for NW2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Build a time machine and tell this to my 6-month-ago self. If I woulda just manned up and got on the fin (wouldn't bother with dut off the bat), I'd be NW1.5 for life. Guess I'll settle for NW2.5.
    I understand. Dutasteride "destroyed" your hair, while finasteride wouldn't.

Get on fin bro

thanks for the responses yea. the reason why I wont get on FIN is because I had side effects with using saw palmetto & it works the same as FIN. so its no telling what FIN could do to me. but the side effect with saw palmetto was small tho.The good thing with saw palmetto keeps me calm & relax. Im the time of person to get turned on fast & I feel lots of pressure & adrenaline,but when I take SP i feel relax/chilled ..which is a good thing ! It calms my hormones down

I jus wish it was a wonder drug that could do the trick. & to be quite honest...I wouldnt mind going bald if I was in my late 30s or something. The fact that it hit me hard at a young age hurts me. I look around at other people my age & they have perfect hairlines! & I had to be the odd ball to have a receding hairline & thinning....smh.

BUT for the time being im gonna try minoxidil & nizoral for a few months & give yall an update !