+ Reply to Thread

Default 6 months on finasteride and laser comb; getting worse?

Hey all,

So I've been on finasteride/Proscar and the HairMax Laser Comb for about six months. I'm not noticing any results, but I honestly didn't really expect to up to this point. When I started medication and the laser, I was going to give it a year before really evaluating. However, when I got out of the shower today, it seems like my hairline is actually getting worse. Is this possible? Oh boy.

Thanks for any input comments,
    Harry

I guess it is always possible to get worse but it most probably is in your mind. I wish I had Propecia when I started balding because even though I started many years later I see an improvement in my situation. It did take about 8 months to notice. Just keep it up, I am sure things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Hey all,

So I've been on finasteride/Proscar and the HairMax Laser Comb for about six months. I'm not noticing any results, but I honestly didn't really expect to up to this point. When I started medication and the laser, I was going to give it a year before really evaluating. However, when I got out of the shower today, it seems like my hairline is actually getting worse. Is this possible? Oh boy.

Thanks for any input comments,
    Harry

Harry,

It could very well be that the meds and/or the comb have stimulated your hair follicles and some are moving into their next phase of the cycle which is resting. You end up shedding some of your exisitng hair.

That's why you want to give any med a full year to fairly evaluate it because you want to give your hair follicles adequate time to cycle throguh all three phases of the growth cycle.

The jury is still out for me on these laser combs.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks, guys.

Best wishes to you Harry!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Yeah I'm at the same rate. Getting close to 6 months now on Proscar and I'm still losing a bit of hair from daily showering and combing. What's sad is that is that I'm noticing more thinning up top and around my frontal forehead more. I'm taking Proscar to slow the hair lose on my forehead area but it looks like I'm slowly losing hair on the top more too that even I have notice the hair thinning on the top now when I didn't before Proscar 5 months ago. It's starting to scare me a little. But I'm hoping it's the shredding phase that's effecting why my hair has started to thin out on the top more to the point that I notice it now.

If things don't improve at 8 month mark I may try laser therapy which I have been researching on.

Quote Originally Posted by cphan View Post
    Yeah I'm at the same rate. Getting close to 6 months now on Proscar and I'm still losing a bit of hair from daily showering and combing. What's sad is that is that I'm noticing more thinning up top and around my frontal forehead more. I'm taking Proscar to slow the hair lose on my forehead area but it looks like I'm slowly losing hair on the top more too that even I have notice the hair thinning on the top now when I didn't before Proscar 5 months ago. It's starting to scare me a little. But I'm hoping it's the shredding phase that's effecting why my hair has started to thin out on the top more to the point that I notice it now.

If things don't improve at 8 month mark I may try laser therapy which I have been researching on.
    cphan,

I am not a physician but I would encourage you to stay on it for a year because after some shedding, it wil take another 3-4 motnhs for the resting phase to complete. Considering hair grows at an average rate of 1/2 inch per month, it will take an additional 6 months to gain 3 inches of new growth. IMHO, we need at least three inches or so to begin to see the visual benefit of coverage.

You can also ask someone close to you to use a magnifying glass or densiometer to see if any new stubble is coming through after 3-4 months of rest.

You may also want to consult a doctor like Dr. Jeff Epstein in Miami for an opinion on using laser while waiting for final results of finasteride. He is one of those good ethical docs who gives it to you straight.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

cphad,

I forgot to ask, "You are cutting the Proscar tablets right?".
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

For the 1 month I didn't cut up Proscar. Didn't know I was suppose to do that. 2nd month and now I've been cutting it to 4 pieces as evenly as I can.
    I hear good result that people have with using Propecia but I'm not seeing much result from me sadly. I'm starting to think maybe its cause I'm taking the cheaper version, Proscar instead. I'm trying to be patient and wait it out for a full year to decide. Just kind of hard to keep seeing your hair get thinner and thinner.

For all practical purposes, the only difference between Propecia and Proscar is their dosage of finasteride. Proscar comes at 5mg strength per tablet and Propecia was specifically developed for treating MPB and comes at 1mg dosage daily.

Tht's why it is important to cut Proscar and not take 5mg daily. Proscar is simply much cheaper to purchase than Propecia and why many guys decide to cut Proscar.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net