+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride or Nizoral is darkening my hair!?

So I've only been on finasteride for a month and Nizoral for about 2 weeks, believe it or not the fina is already regrowing the slight recession I had at the one temple (I caught my hairloss very early, I'm not even sure it's MPB anymore lol but that's besides the point).

My hair is naturally blonde, it was very blonde when I was young up until my mid/late teens and is slowly darkening, although over the last few weeks I've noticed the new hairs coming up along my hairline are brown, not even just a darker shade of blonde. And a lot of my long existing hairs on my hairline are now darker towards the root end.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these treatments darkening hair? I know it could just be natural, both my parents had blonde hair when they were young and it slowly turned brown, this is how I thought it would happen for me, but at this rate my hair will go from medium blonde to brown in a matter of months.

Also, just a thought even though it sounds stupid, seeing as blonde hairs on a person with mostly dark hairs are seen as miniaturised or vellus hairs, could dark hairs on a person with mostly blonde hairs be miniaturised or vellus hairs? I doubt it works like that lol but just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with either of these treatments darkening hair?
    Generally, it is completely normal for light colored hair to darken as we age until it starts to turn grey. Changing hair color is a possible side effect of every medication for treating hereditary hair loss, though it is pretty rare to happen, it is more likely with light colored hair.

Well, I know that MPB has made my hair much lighter (dark brown to a lighted brown/some "dirty blonde"), as my hairs have became miniaturized. That said, if you are somehow responding well to those treatments already, I suppose it is plausible that you've shed dead/miniaturized hair, and are replacing them with thicker, darker versions of themselves.

This isn't just happening to new hairs coming through and it's not just happening to hairs on the left temple (the only place I think I may be losing hair), it's happening to all my hairs, even in areas where NW7's would still have hair lol.

Not complaining really, I've always wanted darker hair, just unsure if it's the niz/fin causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    This isn't just happening to new hairs coming through and it's not just happening to hairs on the left temple (the only place I think I may be losing hair), it's happening to all my hairs, even in areas where NW7's would still have hair lol.

Not complaining really, I've always wanted darker hair, just unsure if it's the niz/fin causing it.
    I think our hairs naturally shift shades over time too. I went from blonde as a baby to very dark brown in my late teens. Then it's gotten progressively lighter in my 20's.

Eventually we all end up grey.