+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Question on Density

I had a frontal transplant 14 years ago using the strip method. I'm generally satisfied, although not ecstatic, with the density. I'm going in for HST in September to lower the front hairline a little more. Can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of density, compared to a traditional strip transplant? I'm betting the answer will start with "It depends..", but I'm also hoping to hear that the density will likely be greater.

They usually do 35 grafts per cm2.

So the best thing would be to see how many grafts you currently have per cm2 and compare to that.

Quote Originally Posted by gc83uk View Post
    They usually do 35 grafts per cm2.

So the best thing would be to see how many grafts you currently have per cm2 and compare to that.
    Man, thats so hard to measure when youre on topical treatments! You need at least 6 months of a stable regimen before you can assess density due to sheds, regrowth and further sheds. Density will be up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Man, thats so hard to measure when youre on topical treatments! You need at least 6 months of a stable regimen before you can assess density due to sheds, regrowth and further sheds. Density will be up and down.
    Nah man, I'm just suggesting doing aprox figures. Just cut out a 1cm square and stick it on your head. This will be difficult unless you've got relatively short hair. Take a high quality photo and count the grafts.

Repeat numerous times in different areas and take the avg.

Other than doing that I can't help you, but like I said Gho will place 35 grafts per cm2 avg and on subsequent procedures he can increase this to around 50 grafts per cm2.

I'm about to ask a retard question but I got to know cause now I'm confused.

So say I get a HT. They take follicles. If a follicle is transected.. does that just mean that that follicle is still in the donor area and just was "missed" when the graft was taken so the recipient won't recieve a follicle that will grow a hair but it will still grow from the donor where it is.

or

does it mean that the follicle is ruined.. as in - it's taken from the donor.. so it's not there anymore.. and it's also ruined and won't grow in recipient...?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatalis View Post
    I'm about to ask a retard question but I got to know cause now I'm confused.

So say I get a HT. They take follicles. If a follicle is transected.. does that just mean that that follicle is still in the donor area and just was "missed" when the graft was taken so the recipient won't recieve a follicle that will grow a hair but it will still grow from the donor where it is.

or

does it mean that the follicle is ruined.. as in - it's taken from the donor.. so it's not there anymore.. and it's also ruined and won't grow in recipient...?
    any failed extraction will grow back in your donor and will NOT be counted as part of your total grafts that you will pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    any failed extraction will grow back in your donor and will NOT be counted as part of your total grafts that you will pay for.
    Also - is there a chance that the extraction process ruins a graft? Like.. That's it messes up and that graft is unusable and will never regrow a hair etc?

I mean like the follicle itself... being ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatalis View Post
    Also - is there a chance that the extraction process ruins a graft? Like.. That's it messes up and that graft is unusable and will never regrow a hair etc?

I mean like the follicle itself... being ruined.
    I doubt that, many ppl already had HST and i didn't see anybody complain about the growth of the recipient area...

Other than doing that I can't help you, but like I said Gho will place 35 grafts per cm2 avg and on subsequent procedures he can increase this to around 50 grafts per cm2.
    First, thanks for being one of the people on here to take the risk with Dr Gho and document your experience. The best pics also. I am considering him for HT.

I read most of the posts on Dr Gho but still frustratd why he can't just do 1 pass like the other docs and get more density. What is the limiting factor that other docs don't have that he does?

His HSI tehnique may improve this but I think hasn't been perfected yet.

I belive he has said he prefers you don't have native hair where he places his grafts but isn't that exactly what he is faced with when you want more density and not a 15 grand see-thru transplant. (assuming fine hair 3000 grafts)

Also when someone goes for subsequent procedures to increase density wouldn't that get rather expensive for the average person or is that included in the original quote? I doubt it.

Nah man, I'm just suggesting doing aprox figures. Just cut out a 1cm square and stick it on your head. This will be difficult unless you've got relatively short hair. Take a high quality photo and count the grafts.

Repeat numerous times in different areas and take the avg.

Thanks again, GC83UK. Yeah, I can't use the method you suggest because my frontal hair is too long and I have to leave it growing long for the procedure itself. So, I'll put the question another way: by and large, it the 35/cm2 lower, higher or about the same as a traditional transplant? Or, is that a question impossible to answer without knowing my current density?