+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine - Minoxidil Dandruff Solution?

Hi,

I've been using Rogaine/Minoxidil for since January and the only negative experience I have had has been dandruff. The past 8 weeks I've been using 2% Nizoral twice a week but it has done nothing to stop the dandruff. If I bend forward and scratch my head there is like a little snow 'shower' of dandruff so it is pretty annoying.

If anybody has a recommendation of how I can solve the dandruff that is being caused as a result of Minoxidil I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

I had this problem too, when I used Kirkland's minoxidil. It worked, but it made my head too itchy and flaky and I was advised by my dermatologist to get off it and switch to foam. Instead I got off minoxidil entirely and just let finasteride do what ever it was going to do for an entire year, which was just slow down my hair loss. Now about 20 days ago I stocked up on Rogaine foam and Rogaine liquid for like a 1 year supply, but I know it's not really going to last 1 year since I use more than directed.

To get to he point:
    1. Wake up and immediately shampoo my head with SLS free shampoo; towel dry until completely dry, then apply Rogaine foam on whole head, including hairline and temples.

2. Wash my head at night with an SLS-free shampoo. I use Biotin B Complex Shampoo+Conditioner but you can use what ever SLS-free champoo. Just a safe, chemical free shampoo that can be used daily. There's a lot of options out there.

3. Apply rogaine liquid after washing my head[towel dry my scalp first].

4. Wake up, rinse and repeat.

As a result I have little-to no itching, and definitely see no flakes. I think this is the result of using foam in the day and liquid at night, maybe the foam offsets the itchiness of the liquid[propylene glycol]. The shampooing every day, twice a day, most likely helps a lot too. But I think it's because i'm not applying liquid minoxidil twice a day like I used to when I was getting scalp itch and flakes.

I hope this helps. If it does not help, try switching to Kirkland's minoxidil foam, it's the same thing as Rogaine foam and it's cheap. 12 month supply is $123 last time I checked Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    Hi,

I've been using Rogaine/Minoxidil for since January and the only negative experience I have had has been dandruff. The past 8 weeks I've been using 2% Nizoral twice a week but it has done nothing to stop the dandruff. If I bend forward and scratch my head there is like a little snow 'shower' of dandruff so it is pretty annoying.

If anybody has a recommendation of how I can solve the dandruff that is being caused as a result of Minoxidil I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    Its probably the amount of propylene glycol in the solution. Try adding some Everclear 95% (190 Proof) into the bottle.