+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Effect of Finasteride on facial hair

Question for any men who have used finasteride since the age of 18-25: Did it have any effect on your ability to develop a full beard?

I've been waiting for my beard to thicken up since the age of 15 (now 21) and I'm worried that taking fin could stop it dead in it's tracks and leave me with bumfluff for life.

I read a study that claimed that finasteride actually INCREASED beard thickness, supposedly because:
    - Testosterone is responsible for 'priming' the hair follicles of the face
    - DHT is only responsible for 'linear growth'
    and given that finasteride increases T and decreases DHT, facial hair gets thicker but grows slower.

Anyone here have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Inactive

I'm not really sure, to be honest. But if you are concerned with beard thickness, I hear that rubbing minoxidil on your face can help (although it may also be indicated in causing wrinkles, so I would research first).

I've noticed I'm losing beard hair everyday now whereas before I never noticed much loss. It could be the Fin since that's the only thing new I've introduced recently. I never really had a thick course beard but it had enough hair for decent coverage. I will keep an eye on it.

My facial hair is growing and maintaining just the same.

2.5 years on fin, 2+ months on dut, not really noticing a change in facial hair.

What is happening is that finasteride is taking the hair that would otherwise go to your face, and it is slowly using it for your head. Finasteride is like a beard transplant, but it happens inside of your body, rather than a doctor doing it. Females are born with this, that is why they grow hair much faster and have lower hairlines. The rare times you see women with facial hair, if you notice they also don't have as much hair on their head as the average female.

Disclaimer: This is false, it was just a joke.

I wish finasteride actually decreased facial hair, less tedious shaving for me.

6-7 years of finasteride- one word..... no.

Once your facial hair starts growing I dont think stopping DHT alone would reverse or stop it and propecia does not even stop DHT completely. T might be a big player in facial hair and body hair but I do think DHT is also involved. Its a timing issue and T is probably involved.
    If you stopped T and DHT from affecting hair before you ever got facial hair I would suspect you could prevent facial hair and CB 03 01 is being looked at because it could possibly do just this.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Once your facial hair starts growing I dont think stopping DHT alone would reverse or stop it and propecia does not even stop DHT completely. T might be a big player in facial hair and body hair but I do think DHT is also involved. Its a timing issue and T is probably involved.
    If you stopped T and DHT from affecting hair before you ever got facial hair I would suspect you could prevent facial hair and CB 03 01 is being looked at because it could possibly do just this.
    CB-03-01 is being looked at because it could stop facial hair from developing?

CB 03 01 is in early phases but they said its a possible treatment for unwanted hair growth, baldness for both men and women since all of these are thought to be androgen dependant. It just all depends on how it all turns out maybe it wont work that well or have sides.
    It makes sense that hair growth is from T and DHT I mean men grow thick dark facial hair and body hair while women dont right? So it makes logical sense that stopping DHT and T would stop the hair from growing, but sometimes we know things in the body dont follow logical sense. Maybe you would need to prevent facial hair otherwise CB 03 01 ends up not doing anything maybe estrogen or something plays a role also.