+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I balding?

Default Am I balding?

Hey guys,
    I am sure you see a lot of posts like this, but I must be sure about my situation. I am 19 years old currently at college. As I am living on my own, I also have to do all the housework and while cleaning the bathroom I realized I have been loosing quite a bit of hair for the past year.
    My father lost his hair in his mid-thirties and is now a Norwood V, just like his two brothers. My grandfather from my father's side has way more hair than them. My grandfather on my mother's side has a full head of hair at 87 and so did his brother and father. I have no uncles from that side of the family.
    I have always had thin hair at the crown (ever since I remember) although my hair is pretty thick in general.
    The question is: do you think I am balding or just starting to have a mature hairline. And if so, what should I do?
    Sorry for my bad English, I am not a native speaker.
    Thanks in advance

I would say you are in the early stages -- yes.

Your English is fine. I'm embarrassed to say it's better than a lot of native speakers in my country.

That said, again, yes it appears you are in the early stages of balding. I would suggest getting a doctor's appointment lined up for validation. Should the health professional confirm, consider getting on treatments right away (if you're interested in treating it). The early you start treatment, the more hair you save.

You're in the early stages.

Inactive

Thank your lucky stars that you have caught it early. Research finasteride and its side-effect profile and get on it ASAP if you feel that you are ready and want to treat your hair loss.

Those were the answers I feared the most.. It's really strange that I'm balding so early in my life since this hasn't happened at 19 to anyone in my family for at least 3 generations... Genetics just want me to play life on hard mode =/ .
    I know finasteride is a "erection destroyer" to some guys... I'll ask my doctor what he thinks I should do to prevent the baldness from progressing.
    Anyway, I really appreciated your replies. You were very helpful.
    Thanks

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tcs101 View Post
    Those were the answers I feared the most.. It's really strange that I'm balding so early in my life since this hasn't happened at 19 to anyone in my family for at least 3 generations... Genetics just want me to play life on hard mode =/ .
    I know finasteride is a "erection destroyer" to some guys... I'll ask my doctor what he thinks I should do to prevent the baldness from progressing.
    Anyway, I really appreciated your replies. You were very helpful.
    Thanks
    Don't be disheartened; you cannot change the genes you have been given. At least now you are in a position of knowledge and awareness. You still have great hair that you could probably maintain if you decide to treat it. Yes, fin can cause side effects in some but I trust in the clinical trials more than fear-mongering individuals on the internet.

Thumbs up

Good advice from Aames, I agree!