+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nizoral questions

Since Nizoral can not be found anywhere on Internet or at stores. I was thinking of getting a script for 2%. Some questions.

1. If I would get a shed when I start using. Is that an absolute good thing, meaning new hair will be growing to replace old. If so how long would it take to get back the shed amount?

2. How often do you need to take 2%. Once per week or twice?

3. Since the 1% says to leave in for 5 minutes, would leaving the 2% in for 2-3 minutes make it about same dose as the 1%? If effective for me, eventually I would like to use otc 1% if stores get more of it. I doubt if my doc would give me a script forever for 2%.

4. If you are lucky enough to have hair growth and thickening hair with nizoral, would you loose it after stopping using it, similar to Rogaine. They say when you stop using Rogaine you loose all the new hair you gained from rogaine.

5. Nizoral have any side effects?

Hmmm... So weird, I've heard others say they can't find it either..
    It's still in abundance here in Ontario.

Most use 2% once per week. The only side effect I'm aware of is overuse can cause dryness of your scalp and promote hair loss .

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking1 View Post
    Is that an absolute good thing, meaning new hair will be growing to replace old.
    The only "absolute" in regards to treating hair loss is that there is no guarantee that any treatment will work for you.

If you feel that you cannot cope with shedding unless you have a guarantee that hair will grow back, you should not bother trying to treat your hair loss. Just allow nature to take it's course.

How often do you need to take 2%. Once per week or twice?
    If you are using the prescription strength 2% Nizoral shampoo, you should only use it once per week.

If you are lucky enough to have hair growth and thickening hair with nizoral, would you loose it after stopping using it, similar to Rogaine.
    First and foremost, Nizoral IS NOT a stand alone treatment for hair loss. No one is likely to regrow any hair from Nizoral alone.

Hereditary hair loss is progressive. As such it does not matter what treatment you choose to use to treat your hair loss, you will still need to continue that treatment for the rest of your life. Or until a true cure for hereditary hair loss can be found. If you stop any hair loss treatment, your hair loss will resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktownmatti View Post
    Hmmm... So weird, I've heard others say they can't find it either.
    The 1% non-prescription strength version of Nizoral (Nizoral A-D) has been in supply shortage for a few months now. This same thing happened last year. Many retailers are dropping this product simply because the manufacturer cannot reliably meet the demand. The 2% prescription strength version is still readily available.

Let me know if this seems possible. For about a week I have been gently rubbing my shampoo into my scalp with the balls of my fingers. I have never done this before. I always thought shampooing was to wash your hair not your scalp. Nobody told me different until I read it on here. Well anyways after a couple days of this I have noticed less hair coming out when shampooing and rinsing. Is this possible or just my imagination? How are you supposed to do this, I have been using gentle circular motions.

I still see a couple hairs on my pillow in the morning though. But I would assume even the full headed hair guys have a few hairs on pillow in morning.

Still deciding if I want to start using Nizoral. I am 40 and receding, but enough to look like a decent set of hair if I comb it just right. My barber says I have alot of hair and not to worry, but it is getting harder and harder to comb to get to look good.

For about a week I have been gently rubbing my shampoo into my scalp with the balls of my fingers....

Well anyways after a couple days of this I have noticed less hair coming out when shampooing and rinsing. Is this possible or just my imagination? How are you supposed to do this, I have been using gentle circular motions.
    This is how you should have washing your hair all along. Most guys do not actually know how to wash their hair properly.

I still see a couple hairs on my pillow in the morning though. But I would assume even the full headed hair guys have a few hairs on pillow in morning.
    It is completely normal to shed between 100 to 150 hairs per day, even for those who are NOT experiencing hair loss.

Still deciding if I want to start using Nizoral.
    Nizoral itself is not a stand alone treatment for mens hair loss. However, Nizoral does help as an adjunct to stand alone treatments such as Propecia and Rogaine. If you decide to use Nizoral, only use it once a week and make sure to use a sulfate free conditioner as well. For the rest of the week use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This is how you should have washing your hair all along. Most guys do not actually know how to wash their hair properly.
    I have been doing this with standard Suave shampoo which contain sls. Should I not rub it into my scalp using Sauve shampoo? I don't want to make things worse, because I have never down this before. If I use SLS shampoo, would I be better off just lathering up my hair and not rubbing into scalp as I have down for the last 30 years? yes, i am a little bit OCD

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

Nizoral itself is not a stand alone treatment for mens hair loss. However, Nizoral does help as an adjunct to stand alone treatments such as Propecia and Rogaine. If you decide to use Nizoral, only use it once a week and make sure to use a sulfate free conditioner as well. For the rest of the week use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner.
    What about the studies that said Nizoral was just as effective as monox 2% in regrowing hair?

What about the studies that said Nizoral was just as effective as monox 2% in regrowing hair?
    There was only one good quality "preliminary" study. That one preliminary did not last long enough or have enough participants to claim it is as effective as 2% Minoxidil. Nizoral clearly does help though, particularly in treating hair loss in women. But it can not be considered a stand alone treatment until it is proven as such through a proper good quality full scale study.

Concerning how you wash your hair. I am going to bow out of that. Go to a good quality salon and ask them to teach you how to wash your hair properly.

Well I think I am going to hold off on the Nizoral for awhile after reading a few horror stories of shedding/inflaming scalp here.

However, I did pick up a Sulfate free shampoo. I found a store not to far away that sells Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo and I must say after 1 day I like it. Couple things I noticed is that my hair after washing with it drys so much faster. Also, it does not clump up like after using suave. With Suave I will wash my hair and after getting out of the shower my hair would be in big wet clumps on top of my head exposing my scalp all over and it would take a couple hours for it to dry all clumpy. Yesterday and today I washed with the renewal shampoo and it did not clump up (so looks like I have alot more hair) also it dries a lot faster. It continued to lay nice all day, making my hair appear thicker without the clumps. The one complaint I have is that it does not lather up as well as the sulfate shampoos I have used (suave).

My last couple washings with the Suave I have noticed more hair in fingers maybe 7-8. Last night and this morning I noticed maybe 3-4 with renewal, although way to early to see if it will reduce shedding. Also, after one day I noticed my scalp not as sensitive or itchy, still a little but not quite as much. I know this is wishful thinking but is it possible that I developed a reaction to sulfates after washing my hair with them twice a day for 15 years which made my head inflammed and shed more? I have noticed that my hair was coming out easier all over including side and back not just on top.

I saw they have Aveeno renewal shampoo and conditioner also, What would be the benefit of this 2 and 1 product? Better for hair or just better for styling. I already like how the Aveeno straight shampoo left my hair as far as styling.

never seemed to have a problem buying nizoral.
    where are you based?