+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Minoxidil - Areas on Head where Effective

Guys,

I had a HT about a year ago and have been using Rogaine for quite some time. When I started using Rogaine, I could have sworn I read somewhere that rogaine is only affective in the crown area of your head and that it doesn't help maintain/re-grow hair in the front or sides. For this reason, I've only been applying rogaine to my crown area.

From what I read on this forum, it seems like guys are applying rogaine in various areas on their head.

Any good information on where Rogaine is effective or not effective? Should I apply it everywhere on my head?

It's effective everywhere on the head. As far as I'm aware, the general consensus is that the trials for Minoxidil were only carried out on the crown, thus they can only claim it works there. However, it's been proven to work on the hairline too, for example.

Thanks for your reply. I feel like such an idiot - I could have been using Rogaine on the front of my head for the last 15 months after my HT to help save the hair I didn't lose yet. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Nish View Post
    Any good information on where Rogaine is effective or not effective? Should I apply it everywhere on my head?
    For females, Rogaine works everywhere on her head. For males, Rogaine usually does not work in the hairline or temples. However, Rogaine can work for some males in the hairline and temples. One possibility you need to be aware of is that Rogaine can make your hairline and temples worse. Many males have experienced this so do not let anyone tell you it won't happen - because it can. If you are OK with that possibility, go ahead and use it in your hairline and temples. That is the only way you are going to find out if it will work for YOU in the hairline and temples.

I was going to say exactly what Borealis said. They can not claim that it works on the hairline, because they have no studies to back that up, simply because they did not do any studies for it. But i'm pretty sure it does work on the hairline, with consistent use.

More effective on crown and less on front and sides. For me, gain is modest and slow on hairline, but it is definitely working. I'd say apply everywhere for at least 6 months and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    One possibility you need to be aware of is that Rogaine can make your hairline and temples worse. Many males have experienced this so do not let anyone tell you it won't happen - because it can. If you are OK with that possibility, go ahead and use it in your hairline and temples. That is the only way you are going to find out if it will work for YOU in the hairline and temples.
    How accurate is this? I don't understand why anyone would want to gamble with the way their hair currently looks if this is true. I was considering trying Minox, but since my hair looks worse since being on Fin for over a year taking the chance on Minox seems like too much of a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    How accurate is this? I don't understand why anyone would want to gamble with the way their hair currently looks if this is true. I was considering trying Minox, but since my hair looks worse since being on Fin for over a year taking the chance on Minox seems like too much of a risk.
    I've never heard of that to be honest. And it's never happened to me despite having aggressive MPB. That is the first I have ever heard of Rogaine being able to possibly make your hair line worse. I have used even the cheap minoxidil fro Kirkland's, that made my head itch like crazy, and still I didn't experience a worsened hair line. Actually my hairline got worse when I got off it.

The thing with claims like these is that this site get s a LOT of visitors, thousands a day, lots of traffic, people who aren't even signed up. And members like Tracy are looked upon for advice, because she gives a lot of good advice and all. So saying such a claim with no hard evidence that it's actually Rogaine that worsens the hairline, can potentially scare off thousands of guys who could otherwise benefit from minoxidil. All they will say is "Well, this female poster on a hair loss site, says Rogaine could worsen my hairline, so i'm not going that route".

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    The thing with claims like these is that this site get s a LOT of visitors, thousands a day, lots of traffic, people who aren't even signed up. And members like Tracy are looked upon for advice, because she gives a lot of good advice and all. So saying such a claim with no hard evidence that it's actually Rogaine that worsens the hairline, can potentially scare off thousands of guys who could otherwise benefit from minoxidil. All they will say is "Well, this female poster on a hair loss site, says Rogaine could worsen my hairline, so i'm not going that route".
    I found minoxidil did a great job at thickening up my hairline (get the foam)! Also, no side effects! I'd hazard a guess that those who lost ground would have lost it anyway. Seems disproportionate to trumpet the benefits of Propecia which can be dangerous to some people, and criticise the relatively harmless minoxidil, because it might hasten hair loss. I don't understand this forum sometimes.