+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I've never heard of that to be honest. And it's never happened to me despite having aggressive MPB. That is the first I have ever heard of Rogaine being able to possibly make your hair line worse. I have used even the cheap minoxidil fro Kirkland's, that made my head itch like crazy, and still I didn't experience a worsened hair line. Actually my hairline got worse when I got off it.
    I agree completely, although after reading Tracy's post I did do a Google search and came across many other posts claiming the same thing. But of course, there could have been other factors involved, it seems very unlikely that something which is supposed to grow hair could acutally make you lose it instead.

That is the first I have ever heard of Rogaine being able to possibly make your hair line worse.
    Really??? This has been posted by multiple guys in this very forum. How on Earth could you possibly have missed those posts? There have been a lot of them. Too many to ignore. These many many posts are the only reason I mention this possibility.

Only way minoxidil could progress hair loss is if it made follicles more susceptible to DHT or was a form of DHT in itself.

We all know Minox as well as many other forms of DHT inhibitors often times cause a shed, most guys are probably not willing to put in the time and effort and wait out the long and dreadful ride of the shed. Some sheds can last many months as can be clearly seen from IrishPride86's long haul that lasted nearly SIX MONTHS!

Shedding is a good thing, its a sign its working. It's a pain in the fvcking ass seeing hair get thinner when you think its supposed get thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    only way minoxidil could progress hair loss is if it made follicles more susceptible to dht or was a form of dht in itself.

We all know minox as well as many other forms of dht inhibitors often times cause a shed, most guys are probably not willing to put in the time and effort and wait out the long and dreadful ride of the shed. some sheds can last many months as can be clearly seen from irishpride86's long haul that lasted nearly six months!

Shedding is a good thing, its a sign its working. It's a pain in the fvcking ass seeing hair get thinner when you think its supposed get thicker.
    B-i-n-g-o.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Really??? This has been posted by multiple guys in this very forum. How on Earth could you possibly have missed those posts? There have been a lot of them. Too many to ignore. These many many posts are the only reason I mention this possibility.
    I agree with you on the majority of things on Finasteride/Minoxidil but i'd have to agree with Hellouser on this one.

...but i'd have to agree with Hellouser on this one.
    It does not matter. Guys who are asking about Minoxidil still need to know about it.

Two questions:

1. Can it promote growth at the temples? Even if you are only applying it on the crown?

2. Likewise can it make your hairline worse if you are only applying it on the crown?

Thanks

Actually I have also read multiple cases of guys using minox and having bad sheds in the hairline/temples without recovery. At least 1 guy on this forum (was it Jcm something?) used it more than a year and never saw the hair come back.

What is it about the hairline that makes it resistant to regrowth from minoxidil and finasteride?

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    What is it about the hairline that makes it resistant to regrowth from minoxidil and finasteride?
    I wouldn't say it's resistant. In my opinion it just takes longer for the medication to work on it.

Think about it. How many hair loss sufferers get on finasteride and rogaine when they are already NW3-4, even 5 and 6? Let's say they have a badly receded hair line, this usually means that the hairs on their forehead have been long miniaturized and it's going to take a long time to get them back to normal. As opposed the hair on top of your head and back, which take longer to miniaturize, therefore when you treat you see results faster.

It just takes more time for the temple and hairline hairs to respond to medication, because they've been "gone" or sleeping for much longer. Look at the guys that just start balding, the NW1.5-2.5's, they use fin and rogaine early and look at the recovery they get, almost get everything back in months. That is because they didn't wait 1,000 years like people do to treat their hair loss.

Basically fin and rogaine not working on the hairline comes from a combination of the meds not being clinically studied on those parts, and people being too impatient and quick to dismiss the meds as ineffective on the hairline.