+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does Biotin speed up hair growth? What else can?

So for the past 2 months or so I've been suffering from what I think was TE, all the symptoms seems to point towards TE and even my derm said it's TE and doesn't look like MPB (no hairline recession and no crown thinning)

I'm getting to the point now where the shedding is slowing down and I can feel regrowth in my hair, my hair still looks like complete crap at the moment though and is really thin all over and so I'm looking to do whatever I can to speed up regrowth and get my hair looking back to its old self again as soon as possible.

I've heard from a lot of people saying biotin does speed up hair growth but equally a lot of people saying it did nothing. What are your guys experiences on this?

Also, are there any other things I can do to speed up hair growth, it doesn't necessarily have to be a product.

Thanks

MSM should do the trick.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I often have patients who ask about the effects of taking Biotin supplements. My response is that I do think Biotin can improve the quality of the patients hair. I do not promise that it speeds up the hair growth. Biotin can also have a positive effect on the skin and nails.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

When I was on biotin I had to shave more often, both my face and head. I like to clean shave my face so that really was not working for me well. Yeah it does speed up hair growth, but just don't mistake that for "regrow" new hair or thicken existing hair, it just makes your existing hair grow faster. I also had to cut my nails more often. One other good thing of taking biotin is that it does not hurt your MPB. Biotin+Silica would be a good combination. It's like the minoxidil+fin of hair, skin and nails.

Okay thanks guys. All I'm really doing is trying to speed up the recovery process from TE, all the hair that I lost (which I think was about 50%) is now starting to regrow, it's too short at the moment to make any cosmetic difference though so I just want to speed up the process as quickly as I can be done with this whole ordeal.

I ordered some biotin and msm, I'd never heard of msm before but it does seem to be quite promising from what people are saying, neither were very expensive so if they do anything positive at all I will be happy.

I also have some pantothenic acid laying around which I've heard has some benefits for hair, might as well add that to my regimen as well.

I started taking biotin after my transplant in February. It's certainly making my nails grow fast, but can't quite ascertain the same for my hair with confidence. I figure it's worth adding to any regime though.

MSM worked for me. I decided to stop using it because my hair and nails were growing too fast. I didn't notice any improvements in my hair besides how fast it was growing.

I used MSM years ago, it works just as good as Biotin. Yeah Biotin, Silica and Pantothenic Acid is what a lot women use to grow out their hair. I saw it in this "Long hair" forum that I stumbled upon while googling hair loss stuff. There's more hair vitamins they use, but I can't remember which other one's right now. I remember seeing those 3 a lot.

So my Biotin and MSM came today, from here on out to try and speed up regrowth I'll be taking:

5mg Biotin
    3mg MSM
    1g Pantothenic Acid

I'm also on 2% Nizoral shampoo E3D and 1.25mg finasteride EOD, I realise these wont help with TE but when I first started shedding I instantly assumed it was MPB and so panic bought both of these, I figured they can't do any harm and the MPB gene is in my family, although no one shows any signs of balding until (50+).

Anyway, I'm making a point of distancing myself from anything hairloss related for the next month or so, I'm doing everything I can now and I'm pretty sure browsing all these forums isn't doing anything for my mental health lol, it just keeps my mind on it and gets me stressed out.

So yeah, I'll come back and update mid-May, hopefully by then I'll have some good news!

From combing my hair before the shower, washing my hair in the shower and then combing my hair after the shower again after my hair had dried I lost a grand total of 2 hairs!

I'm not putting this down to the MSM and biotin as it's only been just over a week but I think my TE shedding has finally stopped, I usually lost 40+ hairs just from combing my hair after the shower before, god knows how many I lost in the shower as well.

I just hope the biotin and MSM help my hair grow back as good as it was before.

I know I said I wouldn't post again for a while but it's just such a relief that my hair is finally not falling out by the handful anymore!