+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The obsession really got crazy in the 90s when it became also popular in Hollywood to show of some trained bodies. Before that it was just something for freaks like Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallon. I hope it will becomes less of a trend in the next 10 years or so.

muscules (I am not talking about crazily pumped mosnters) are assotiated with good nutrition and overall state of health. Just as hair. So it is pretty natural for men to look after themselves in this regard just as you care about hair.

Quote Originally Posted by kadze View Post
    muscules (I am not talking about crazily pumped mosnters) are assotiated with good nutrition and overall state of health. Just as hair. So it is pretty natural for men to look after themselves in this regard just as you care about hair.
    Truth. That is why I do fitness and fight my hair loss at the same time.

Up to a point, yes, but the physique that most guys in the US are aiming for, the one that appears on the front of every fitness magazine published in the last two decades, is a wholly artificial creation. You can only get it (if at all) with the use of a sophisticated gym, and usually a bit of help from drugs. People look at the physiques of Hollywood guys like Zach Ephron, and what they don't realise is that these guys' job is to work out. They spend every hour they have in the gym with a personal trainer, and they live on protein and supplements, to keep looking the way they do, because it is their livelihood (and let's face it, they don't usually have much acting talent).

The problem is that people can't always distinguish between Hollywood and reality, so it sets a worryingly unrealistic benchmark for the average guy. It's the same with hair. Practically everyone in the film industry is supplementing their natural hair with toupees and extensions, which makes the rest of us look inadequate by comparison.

I'm grateful that these trends are far less extreme in Europe.

It is really a pity that we do not see many actors with hair loss who then cover it up. I would love to see some more actors like Nicolas Cage, not only bad-ass guys like Jason Statham that should feed some stereotype.

Quote Originally Posted by polios View Post
    It is really a pity that we do not see many actors with hair loss who then cover it up. I would love to see some more actors like Nicolas Cage, not only bad-ass guys like Jason Statham that should feed some stereotype.
    There are tons of showbiz people who are bald but cover it up, they just do it in secret. Ben Affleck, Matt McConnaughey, Enrique Iglesias, Brendan Fraser have all been revealed as toupee-wearers, and those are only the ones we know about. We now know that in the heyday of Hollywood virtually every male star was wearing a toupee, but these were closely guarded secrets at the time; maybe in 20 years time, when the tell-all biographies come to be written it will turn out that the same is true of today's stars.

Interesting which stars will be among them. I mean those you have mentioned are quite some obvious cases. Ben Affleck and Matt McConnaughey - I could have imagined that. Other cases are not so clear. Like Christian Bale for instance.

Really interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't get this whole obsession with building muscle (including abs etc), and prefers simply keeping a low body fat count and been thin? It just seems like so much effort, and tbh most of the results that come from bodybuilding and weight lifting (abs in particular) just look so unnatural and repulsive to look at. I'm saying that it's good to be overweight, or to be an obese slob, but my idea of a good look is to simply keep body fat to a minimum and achieve a natural lean look.
    Exactly, bodybuilding is not a panacea ... to be killed in the gym and get injured by super weights ?! You can look cool and doing more advanced sports and with your own weight! For example, yoga or pilates are more functional, in my opinion.

Protein is one of the most important part of body building. First prefer natural protein intake. Natural protein can be get through egg,pulse. If it is not sufficient than use external protein.