+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I break the baldness curse?

I'm genetically screwed..
    Father - Completely bald
    Both Grandfathers - Completely bald
    All uncles - Completely bald

I'm 21 and for the last few years have noticed my hairline starting to slowly recede, but it appears to be picking up pace. I ignored it for a while, but it's starting to effect the way I style my hair and have it cut, which is concerning.

From what I've read on here it appears the thing to do at this stage is to buy some finpecia, generic minoxidil and nizoral in an attempt to slow down or stop further loss. I am worried about the finasteride though, as I am an athlete and am concerned that this could effect me reaching my full physical potential. I also have next to no facial hair, and feel like I'd be restricting development there too.

I'm also interested in trying some cutting edge treatments, if anyone has any recommendations.

I've been researching future treatments like HSC, Aderans, etc. in the hopes that if I can 'hold it off' for a few years, the second gen treatments will rescue me. I recieved this email the other day from Histogen in response to an enquiry about HSC:

"Thank you for your interest and message. The Phase I/II clinical trial of HSC has recently been completed, and data from the final timepoints of that trial is currently being analyzed. Although Histogen is not releasing any estimated timelines for market introduction at this stage, at least one additional clinical trial will be required in any country where HSC will be introduced. Asia and the US continue to be preliminary regions of focus for HSC."

Seems hopeful. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Well whatever country gets the first release people will just fly there and get the treatment - just hope they WILL release some information next month at the conference.

Your best bet is finasteride or dutasteride. Might as well use keto shampoo since you have to wash your hair anyway....be sure to leave it in for 5 minutes before washing it out.
    I do not use minoxidil but some people get pretty solid regrowth on it.

If you are worried about athletics you can get hormone tests regularly I suppose. It really is not an issue for most. If your estrogen goes too high you could get on blockers.
    Not sure if beard hair growth would be affected. I guess you would need to ask yourself if the risk of less beard hair development (not a documented side effect btw) is worth stopping your hair loss for

I would definitely not wait around for next gen treatments. Some may never come to market, others may take years and years, and there is no telling how well some will work on more advanced cases. Not to mention cost.

My concern with taking finasteride is that, from what I've heard, DHT is quite important. Athletes who used steroids whilst on finasteride have witnessed reduced performance compared with not taking it.

I'm worried about the sexual side effects, and the fact that at 21, I'm still developing and don't want to become 'less of a man' due to taking this stuff.

Ideally, I wish there was an effective localized topical anti androgen for the scalp.

There is RU but I am not sure or not if it is absorbed through the scalp which I assume it is in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by HairBane View Post
    My concern with taking finasteride is that, from what I've heard, DHT is quite important. Athletes who used steroids whilst on finasteride have witnessed reduced performance compared with not taking it.

I'm worried about the sexual side effects, and the fact that at 21, I'm still developing and don't want to become 'less of a man' due to taking this stuff.

Ideally, I wish there was an effective localized topical anti androgen for the scalp.
    Your physical development at 21 should be done, no?
    From what I know the athletic performance reduction theory just comes from anecdotes and not any studies. As for sexual sides, there is a risk. This is stuff you have to weigh out for yourself. For me the risk was worth it because my concerns about hair loss ruined my sex life for awhile....you probably are not affected so strongly by MPB as I was
    However another thing to think about: just because you can live with your hair in its current state does not mean you will be OK with it at NW3, NW4, NW5 etc
    Good luck whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    However another thing to think about: just because you can live with your hair in its current state does not mean you will be OK with it at NW3, NW4, NW5 etc
    Agreed. NW1.5 and NW2, I actually favored my hair line, as crazy as that sounds; it added maturity to my appearance. This, along with other factors, led me to delay finasteride treatment.

Now I'm pushing NW3 and wishing I had not been so naive about my hair state and worried about treatment.

So, just to build off what 25go65 said, know that there may be a substantial lag time between when you start treatment and when you get results (if you get results). Therefore, consider future NW states and how you expect to react to them, as you decide whether or not you want to get on fin.

Best,
    BT

omg, those genetics. X_X yeah, my mom didnt give a rat's ass about my hair. both my grandparents are bald so i'm screwed too.

Quote Originally Posted by HairBane View Post
    Can I break the baldness curse?
    Many men and women do - but not everyone can. All you can do is try and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Your physical development at 21 should be done, no?
    From what I know the athletic performance reduction theory just comes from anecdotes and not any studies. As for sexual sides, there is a risk. This is stuff you have to weigh out for yourself. For me the risk was worth it because my concerns about hair loss ruined my sex life for awhile....you probably are not affected so strongly by MPB as I was
    Good luck whatever you decide!
    Well as far as I know, some men don't stop developing (growth plates closing, etc.) until around 25. Also, things like facial hair can take well into the thirties to fully develop.

I agree with what you're saying about the performance reduction after doing a bit of reading. It appears finasteride actually INCREASES your testosterone by inhibiting 5ar, and that testosterone is the much more potent androgen in muscles, dht hardly does anything in that respect.