+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Inactive

Default Aames' Bodybuilding and Fitness Resource Guide

Hey all, I was going to write a big how-to guide but I figured it was a waste of time since tons of people have written far better articles than I could ever manage. I would just be reciting what they already said somewhere. So, I thought I would point you guys to the best sites for bodybuilding knowledge. There's a lot of misinformation out there; all of these sites that I am posting are either hosted or backed by well-respected and intelligent people. Many of them are either directly involved in scientific research surrounding fitness, or incredibly well-versed and read in it. Without further ado:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ - I can't recommend this site enough. Lyle McDonald is an incredibly smart guy with a ton of free articles, even if you never buy one of his books. Everything is more-or-less spelled out in his articles.

http://alanaragon.com/

http://www.leangains.com/ - Martin Berkhan's site. Pioneered intermittent fasting.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 - The simple guide on nutrition if you're pressed for time. How to pinpoint your caloric and macro-nutrient needs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LiftingForLife - Some hate Ian McCarthy, but all of his info is very sound and based in science.

These sites are pretty much all you need. You will learn all about how much and what types of food you should be eating. As far as routines go; consensus seems to be to use Starting Strength (if you have never lifted before) until you have good form and are comfortable in the gym, and then move on to a good intermediate routine such as Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine or Layne Norton's PHAT.

www.muscleandstrength.com
    And yes Ian is a twat I'd sooner listen to the hodgetwins.

Inactive

Ian McCarthy is a shining beacon of hope in the shadowy darkness that is the fitness industry.

Surprisingly sound advice from such a ridiculous person.

The Lyle McDonald thing is an Upper-Lower split, right? I'm all about those, though I've been trying out a Full-Body program for a few weeks.

Some people act like single body part splits are the end all be all of programs, or they're what you should do if you're "advanced" enough. No, they're what you should do if you're on steroids. Steroids allow you to put more stress on a muscle and still have it properly recover; and on top of that, with steroids there's no need to worry about the hormonal benefits of Full-Body and Upper-Lower splits, because you're controlling your hormones other ways. Not that you need to hear this. If you're recommending SS and Upper-Lower splits, you probably know what's up, but that's just my two-cents, in case anyone cares.

Another two of my cents:
    If this guy McCarthy is really one of those "just get your macros right" guys, then he should start shutting his mouth decades ago. Different varieties of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates have different effects on the body, whether bros like it or not. For instance, saturated fat promotes testosterone much better than monosaturated fat does. Some carbs promote insulin spikes where as others hardly do at all. Again, these hormonal factors don't matter much if you're on steroids, but the difference can be massive if you're not.

It is not uncommon for me to eat nearly (or over) 300 grams of carbs a day because of all the fruit I eat. I get over 800 calories worth of fat a day just spooning it out of jars or drinking it out of bottles. That isn't even counting fat in the food I eat. And the worst sin against broscience, I couldn't even tell you how much protein I get, because I don't pay attention to that at all. But I've got nothing but leaner and stronger since I started eating this way.

You can get gains not paying attention, but if you wanna reach your potential, you're gonna have to start caring about how what you do, what you eat, and when you eat affects your hormones.

Not that anyone listens to me...but those are my cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Surprisingly sound advice from such a ridiculous person.

The Lyle McDonald thing is an Upper-Lower split, right? I'm all about those, though I've been trying out a Full-Body program for a few weeks.
    Can you share your program ? Also what do you think of HST ?

I'm currently trying a weights free calisthenic workout routine. It involves different varieties of push ups, pull ups, chin ups, dips, leg raises, hand stand push ups, a lot of core work, muscles ups etc. It has one workout routine devoted to nothing but different varieties of press ups on one day. So far I'm finding it very challenging, more challenging than free weights and the bench. I'll report my progress but I expect my core stability and strength to improve somewhat.
    I workout for three days, then have a rest day then workout three days then have a rest day etc...

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    I'm currently trying a weights free calisthenic workout routine. It involves different varieties of push ups, pull ups, chin ups, dips, leg raises, hand stand push ups, a lot of core work, muscles ups etc. It has one workout routine devoted to nothing but different varieties of press ups on one day. So far I'm finding it very challenging, more challenging than free weights and the bench. I'll report my progress but I expect my core stability and strength to improve somewhat.
    I workout for three days, then have a rest day then workout three days then have a rest day etc...
    You can get good results with a calisthenics routine but there are a lot of muscles that are hard to hit and I think progression would get to be cumbersome. I guess that's why I would rather lift.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    Also what do you think of HST ?
    This section is dedicated to bodybuilding and fitness. Please keep the conversation on topic. Discussions related to cutting edge hair restoration treatments should be posted in that section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    This section is dedicated to bodybuilding and fitness. Please keep the conversation on topic.Discussions related to cutting edge hair restoration treatments should be posted in that section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    This section is dedicated to bodybuilding and fitness. Please keep the conversation on topic. Discussions related to cutting edge hair restoration treatments should be posted in that section of the forum.
    HST here is Hypertrophy-Specific Training, which is supposed to be a cutting edge workout routine not a cutting edge hair restoration treatment

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html