Aames' Bodybuilding and Fitness Resource Guide

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akai
    • Dec 2012

Any recommendations for alternatives to shoulder press? I have hypermobility, which means I'm really flexible but prone to shoulder dislocations.

Comment

• Kayman
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by akai
      Any recommendations for alternatives to shoulder press? I have hypermobility, which means I'm really flexible but prone to shoulder dislocations.
      Are you at a gym or working out at home? If you're at a gym see if they have a converged shoulder press machine, that may be more suitable as its controlled motion and your core has to do less stabilizing thus the weight will be easier to manage with good form. Lateral side raises are good as an isolation exercise for your shoulders as they do not require you to lift heavy weight.
      If you are prone to shoulder injury don't go near the pec dec machine.
      Nobody here knows how easily your shoulders dislocate so here is a video resource of 150 shoulder exercises, pick which works best for you and your shoulders, you know your body's capabilities better than anyone else.

That's the best weight training site there is in my opinion, they have many many video illustrated exercises on that site that make it easy to piece together your own routine. When it comes to changing up my routine I will remove about half of my current movements and use that data base to replace them with fresh ones.

Comment

• akai
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Kayman
        Are you at a gym or working out at home? If you're at a gym see if they have a converged shoulder press machine, that may be more suitable as its controlled motion and your core has to do less stabilizing thus the weight will be easier to manage with good form. Lateral side raises are good as an isolation exercise for your shoulders as they do not require you to lift heavy weight.
        If you are prone to shoulder injury don't go near the pec dec machine.
        Nobody here knows how easily your shoulders dislocate so here is a video resource of 150 shoulder exercises, pick which works best for you and your shoulders, you know your body's capabilities better than anyone else.

That's the best weight training site there is in my opinion, they have many many video illustrated exercises on that site that make it easy to piece together your own routine. When it comes to changing up my routine I will remove about half of my current movements and use that data base to replace them with fresh ones.
        Thanks for the link. Usually home. Have a squat rack, incline/decline bench, curl bar, dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls and a pull up bar. Plan on getting battleropes soon. I can do things like lateral side raises just fine, it's when I get into things over my head like military press it feels sketchy. When my shoulder is up and out (like when throwing a baseball) it's at it's most vulnerable.

Comment

• Kayman
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by akai
          Thanks for the link. Usually home. Have a squat rack, incline/decline bench, curl bar, dumbbells, kettlebells, medicine balls and a pull up bar. Plan on getting battleropes soon. I can do things like lateral side raises just fine, it's when I get into things over my head like military press it feels sketchy. When my shoulder is up and out (like when throwing a baseball) it's at it's most vulnerable.
          Upright rowing perhaps?

Comment

• Sammygirl
            • Jul 2014

Referring back to the original post. Thanks for collating these links in one place.

Comment

Working...