+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My doctor was in the dark. I'll email him tomorrow to see if I can get bloodwork tests done.

What should I have checked?

You just want levels of testosterone, estrogen and DHT. Even if you do take the drug, I think it's sensible so you have a baseline for later, if you end up having trouble.

I read that a healthy ratio of testosterone to DHT is 10:1, and those of us with MPB have a level closer to 10:4. I suspect those of us who suffer symptoms are in the range 10:1-10:3. A guy emailed me recently saying his DHT was too low so he decided not to risk Propecia.

I ordered online. Thanks Stuck. 100ml of nizoral for $20... I guess thats OK....
    Are you supposed to use it daily or just once a week?

Thanks Chris. I'll email my doctor and try to talk some sense into him. Unfortunately, my health insurance is ridiculous...My GP wont let me see an endocrinologist or a dermatologist. So unless I seek one out and pay out of pocket, Im kinda screwed regarding an expert opinion. Hopefully the labwork wont too much for him to bare LOL.

Is there anyting else i should add to the test?
    Such as Iron?

I don't think iron matters as that's more on the nutrition side of things, but it wouldn't harm to check it to see how your general health is.

Low iron usually has obvious symptoms, such as fatigue and paleness.

I would get finasteride if I were you. Sides are rare, and extreme cases are even more rare. It's worth a shot.

I have to ask, how could the side effects be rare?

From the forums it seems like its 50 50 or people are just accepting that it harms their sex drive.

You are messing with a male sex hormone. Surely desire at the least goes down a little bit.

Personally, a slight dip with my sex drive wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. Im worried about the brain fog. I need my mind in top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by cs2257 View Post

From the forums it seems like its 50 50 or people are just accepting that it harms their sex drive.

You are messing with a male sex hormone. Surely desire at the least goes down a little bit.

Personally, a slight dip with my sex drive wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. Im worried about the brain fog. I need my mind in top shape.
    There's no telling what sides you might get. Most people try the medication, see if they are side susceptible or not, and make a decision from there. Most come off it no problem, without permanent or lasting effects.

Tallying posts on a hair loss forum is a bad way to calculate risk of sides on fin IMO
    It probably does have a higher rate of sides than the <5% you always see in controlled studies but if they are not noticeable to the user, is it not worth the very noticeable effect on hair?

50-50 is too much, I doubt that number is correct.

I take both fin and dutasteride and i'm fine.

Anyway, it's your hair, treat it as you please. But a hair loss treatments' bread and butter is finasteride and rogaine. Good luck.