+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Interesting theories about baldness!

Thought it was a really silly read with no hard evidences and a lot of half-ass guesses, fueling again the abundance of (false) hairloss myths. Until some sort groundbreaking research proofs otherwise, let's agree that 99,99 % of hairloss still comes down to genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Thought it was a really silly read with no hard evidences and a lot of half-ass guesses, fueling again the abundance of (false) hairloss myths. Until some sort groundbreaking research proofs otherwise, let's agree that 99,99 % of hairloss still comes down to genetics.
    But this part is interesting,

It is believed that people with longer hair have a lesser chance of going bald. When the hair is short, sebum has no medium for transfer and stays on top of the head, blocking the flow. Longer hair allows for easier excretion of the sebum. In this light, the fact that baldness is a lot more pronounced in man, rather than women fits perfectly.

Might explain why rock stars and women are less prone to baldness!

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    But this part is interesting,

It is believed that people with longer hair have a lesser chance of going bald. When the hair is short, sebum has no medium for transfer and stays on top of the head, blocking the flow. Longer hair allows for easier excretion of the sebum. In this light, the fact that baldness is a lot more pronounced in man, rather than women fits perfectly.

Might explain why rock stars and women are less prone to baldness!
    It really doesn't. The reason why baldness is more frequent with men than women is because we have different hormones and the testosterone level in men is a lot higher than in women. Like I said, it's one of the many examples of the beginning of those stupid baldness myths. One person makes a few wild guesses and people go "oyeah right, I know a guy... and oyeah those rockstars... it must be true!". It's like those people claiming you're going bald from wearing a cap or shampooing because they have an uncle who's going bald and... etc..

Even if hair-length is a factor it won't be nearly important enough to be decisive.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    It really doesn't. The reason why baldness is more frequent with men than women is because we have different hormones and the testosterone level in men is a lot higher than in women. Like I said, it's one of the many examples of the beginning of those stupid baldness myths. One person makes a few wild guesses and people go "oyeah right, I know a guy... and oyeah those rockstars... it must be true!". It's like those people claiming you're going bald from wearing a cap or shampooing because they have an uncle who's going bald and... etc..

Even if hair-length is a factor it won't be nearly important enough to be decisive.
    My bad, ofcourse women don't have that much DHT, so that is why they don't go bald, but it does fascinate me why most of the rock stars don't go bald, even when their fathers are bald as a cue, for example, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney!

Inactive

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    but it does fascinate me why most of the rock stars don't go bald, even when their fathers are bald as a cue, for example, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney!
    That's simply a form of confirmation bias -- picking out a few high-profile examples while ignoring the plethora of counter-examples:

http://www.nme.com/photos/next/121844/1/2

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...tiful-420.aspx

Head-prize for the first person who can tell me which famous music artist this dapper gent is.

Inactive

Talking

Easy one -- Moby.

Inactive

Cool

Also in the No-Hair Club For Men: Ringo Starr
    Ringo has kept his hair close-cropped for many years, but he looks to me like he has a pretty good head of hair for a man in his 70's -- it's obviously thinner than it used to be, but I wouldn't describe him as bald or balding.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    That's simply a form of confirmation bias -- picking out a few high-profile examples while ignoring the plethora of counter-examples:

http://www.nme.com/photos/next/121844/1/2

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...tiful-420.aspx
    Interesting articles, what more, the Metal God a.k.a Mr. Rob Halford himself is bald !