+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Diego View Post
    Protein shakes are overrated. Eating a healthy diet is good enough. Fish, chicken, veggies blah blah blah. Lifting weights is also overrated. Try and keep your body fat percentage low with cardio and exercise (pull ups, squares, push-ups....)
    You're over overrated skinny boy. OP I use Gold Standard 100% Whey, I've used it since i started working 5 years ago. I buy it at Gold Standard 100% Whey, screw GNC and their overprice products.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    You're over overrated skinny boy. OP I use Gold Standard 100% Whey, I've used it since i started working 5 years ago. I buy it at Gold Standard 100% Whey, screw GNC and their overprice products.
    "Skinny Boy"? Son, you have no idea. You're such a Truck. Pics avlable upon request.
    ...and I bet I got you beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Diego View Post
    "Skinny Boy"? Son, you have no idea. You're such a Truck. Pics avlable upon request.
    ...and I bet I got you beat.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11443
    6'1 currently 218 lbs age 23

Please provide your pics

EDIT: and I didn't mean to offend you when I said Skinny boy, it was a joke. lol

6'4 235 ill be 37 in 3 months

I'm not posting pics of my naked torso but I've been concentrating on fat loss and muscle gain with a lot of success. Dymatize ISO-100 is excellent. I disagree that shakes are overrated. If one does not have the time to put together enough protein rich meals nor enough time to consume them then protein shakes are an ideal adjunct.

However, my meals have changed drastically to be as healthy as possible given what I have to work with. I *try* to buy my meat and vegetables locally grown as often as I can but it is difficult. I buy eggs from local farms and almost everything is organic. The quality of food is so important.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Alot of people on here are talking about the Gold Standard Whey brand. I've tried it myself and it does taste great. If you look at Amazon.com, they even list it as a best seller. With that said,, I would not reccomend it for one reason: HIGH SODIUM content. There is 200mg of sodium per serving. I use another protein brand that is sold at my local mom and pop nutrition store called CORE, which is a mix of whey and casein protein. It only contains 40 mg of sodium.

When looking at purchasing proteins, you also need to decide what type of protein you want to buy: Whey, Casein and Soy. In general, stay away from Soy. Without going into alot of detail, soy is actually hard for the body to digest. Whey is great for post-workout. It is a fast digesting protein, so it's the perfect shake to have within 30 mins after your workout as it will go straight to repairing your muscle. Casein protein is slow digesting. This works great first thing in the morning or before bed. It's will slowly go to your muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish View Post
    Alot of people on here are talking about the Gold Standard Whey brand. I've tried it myself and it does taste great. If you look at Amazon.com, they even list it as a best seller. With that said,, I would not reccomend it for one reason: HIGH SODIUM content. There is 200mg of sodium per serving.
    Incorrect. A single serving, one "rounded" scoop, is 110mg of sodium. I'm looking right at my tub.

"CORE" isn't a product - what is its full name? V-Core? Core Power?

If the sodium was anything to be concerned about, it would not have won BodyBuilding.com's Whey Supplement of the Year for like the last 6 years since there is practically some new product every year.

When looking at purchasing proteins, you also need to decide what type of protein you want to buy: Whey, Casein and Soy. In general, stay away from Soy. Without going into alot of detail, soy is actually hard for the body to digest. Whey is great for post-workout. It is a fast digesting protein, so it's the perfect shake to have within 30 mins after your workout as it will go straight to repairing your muscle. Casein protein is slow digesting. This works great first thing in the morning or before bed. It's will slowly go to your muscles.
    You forget egg, the most complete singular protein. If you can't immediately answer why its the most complete....

Also, casein is slow digesting yes but "slowly go to your muscles" isn't terribly accurate for what is actually occurring.

Also, soy isn't that terrible. I would not use it solely or even in great quantities, but as something now and again its not a bad protein.

Oh and another thing: The only ingredient that most would even actually call out is not sodium, its cholesterol. But this is unavoidable in a whey protein concentrate. It is unavoidable due to how W.P.C. is created. That's why some advocate isolate over concentrate, regardless of the supposed 'speed' benefit isolate has over concentrate.

I had respect for what you were saying until you reached the part of: "If the sodium was anything to be concerned about, it would not have won BodyBuilding.com's Whey Supplement of the Year for like the last 6 years since there is practically some new product every year."

1. How do you know what standards were used for evaluating the Whey Supplement of the Year? Perhaps it was based on taste? Perhaps on it being instanized protein?

2. Gold Standard contains 200mg of sodium. http://www.iherb.com/Optimum-Nutriti...lb-909-g/27495. Perhaps a different flavour has a less amount of sodium. It's not rocket science to know that sodium intake should be limited, especially if one is trying to decrease body fat % If you have a choice to take a protein with only 40mg of sodium, why wouldn't you?

3. The protein I'm talking about http://www.corenutritionals.com/. It's well known in the body building world. Wonder why you haven't heard about it.

4. Yeah, Egg protein exists, but why would I take an egg protein supplement when I can just eat an egg or have egg whites, which are both all natural.

5. Casein protein is absolutley a slow digesting protein. Since it is a slow digesting protein, it's best taken at night (as you won't be eating another meal for about 8 hours). It also helps to stave off catabolism (muscle breakdown)

6. The majority of Soy is Genetically Modified. Most Soy products are over-processed, thus removing of any nutritonal benefits.

7. What do you mean with the statement, "The only ingredient that most would even actually call out is not sodium, its cholesterol". What does this even mean? Isolate vs Concentrate doesn't have anything to do with "speed" and that is an inaccurate statement you have made. The real difference is that Whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of around 70-85%.

To the person I responded to with my initial post, I've been lifting pretty consistently over the last 2 years. I've been able to bring my body fat % down to 10% and I do minimal cardio. I've found that eating 6 small meals a day (which includes a whey protein shake after my meal and a Casein shake at night) works well for me. My diet consists of complex carbs(whole grains, brown rice, low GI fruits and veggies) and lean protein. For the gym, I stick with Compound exercises, one minute rest between sets and throw in a few supersets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish View Post
    I had respect for what you were saying until you reached the part of: "If the sodium was anything to be concerned about, it would not have won BodyBuilding.com's Whey Supplement of the Year for like the last 6 years since there is practically some new product every year."

1. How do you know what standards were used for evaluating the Whey Supplement of the Year? Perhaps it was based on taste? Perhaps on it being instanized protein?
    It is voted for by the users of bodybuilding.com. If there was anything to be super negative about it, the collective broscience community would not vote for it.

2. Gold Standard contains 200mg of sodium. http://www.iherb.com/Optimum-Nutriti...lb-909-g/27495. Perhaps a different flavour has a less amount of sodium. It's not rocket science to know that sodium intake should be limited, especially if one is trying to decrease body fat % If you have a choice to take a protein with only 40mg of sodium, why wouldn't you?
    I didn't even really consider a different flavor would have such a huge difference, but okay, that makes sense. Sodium acts to retain water though, and water is...a vehicle for the delivery of nutrients to your muscles (hence the reason Creatine works the way it does). Obviously its not some linear scale where mooar sodium would mean mooar water which would mean mooarn muscle, I don't mean to imply that.

3. The protein I'm talking about http://www.corenutritionals.com/. It's well known in the body building world. Wonder why you haven't heard about it.
    Because word 'Core' is quite rather generic. Type "Core Protein" into Google and it doesn't even return Core Nutritionals in the top results. Thats why I asked which company/product so I could go take a look at which one you were talking about.

4. Yeah, Egg protein exists, but why would I take an egg protein supplement when I can just eat an egg or have egg whites, which are both all natural.
    Its simply another option, that's all.

5. Casein protein is absolutley a slow digesting protein. Since it is a slow digesting protein, it's best taken at night (as you won't be eating another meal for about 8 hours). It also helps to stave off catabolism (muscle breakdown)
    I wasn't arguing that, merely the 'into the muscles' comment. The physiological effect is the slow release of an amino acid profile. It helps to stave off catabolism due to it being the slow AA profile release which allows protein synthesis to occur during a period of no other protein intake. Some recent articles have even been coming around to the idea that casein may even be superior to whey. BodyBuilders of old drank milk and/or took calcium caseinate supplements. Whey was merely a happenstance.

6. The majority of Soy is Genetically Modified. Most Soy products are over-processed, thus removing of any nutritonal benefits.
    Very true, sadly.

7. What do you mean with the statement, "The only ingredient that most would even actually call out is not sodium, its cholesterol". What does this even mean?
    Because I have never read an article about the pros and cons that calls out sodium content. Sure some people post concerns but most are likely overly concerned. If you're attempting to get a significant majority of your protein from supplements you'd need to be more aware though.

Isolate vs Concentrate doesn't have anything to do with "speed" and that is an inaccurate statement you have made. The real difference is that Whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of around 70-85%.
    There are those that believe isolate acts faster because it is more pure, that's why I said supposedly and put speed in quotes. I'm probably confusing the Hydroslyate version that has come out more recently though. I've ignored that noise for the most part. By weight isolate has a higher protein value, yes. And costs a lot more comparatively and its been shown the benefits are likely not worth the cost.

If you're not eating a high salt diet in the first place, adding in 200-800mg of sodium from a protein shake isn't terrible. Your body does NEED sodium...that's why people have died from over-hydration. Its rare, but it has happened.