+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I've decided to not take Finasteride. Going bald isn't the end of the world, it's just something that gets me down from time to time. The side effects of Finasteride (even if there is only a 5% chance of getting them) present too much of a risk. Reading about potential brain fog that some people are getting has made the decision for me. I value my intelligence a lot more than my hair. If taking Finasteride meant that some time down the line I wouldn't be able to concentrate on things properly, or solve problems to the best of my ability then there's no way I'd risk it.

However, I've started on Nizoral shampoo and I'm probably going to start using Regaine with it. I know it's expensive and it doesn't treat the main cause, but if I can hold on to my hair for another 5/6 years then I'll be happy.

The hair doesn't make the man!

Double post

A few days into starting Minoxidil. Using Regaine 5% foam, it's bloody expensive but so easy to use. Takes 30 seconds to apply and drys in minutes. The first time I applied it I (almost instantaneously) got a splitting headache and my head was throbbing, I felt very strange all over and was a bit concerned tbh. However, after the second application I was much better (apart from a slight headache) and now, touchwood, I seem to be fine after applying it. It's certainly too early to tell if it's doing anything but if nothing else it's giving my hair a nice texture!

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Got my exams starting soon (4 weeks) is it wise to be starting Fin now? Or does it not really matter?
    Been on it for close to two months during my final semester of grad school, which has already included research poster presentation and will include public and private defenses of my research. This all while working 30 hours at my internship (full-time employer in ~1.5 months) and maintaining full-time student status.

Don't sweat it, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Been on it for close to two months during my final semester of grad school, which has already included research poster presentation and will include public and private defenses of my research. This all while working 30 hours at my internship (full-time employer in ~1.5 months) and maintaining full-time student status.

Don't sweat it, dude.
    I've decided to stay away from Finasteride anyway. For me (and I appreciate it's different for others) the potential benefits just aren't worth the risks.

I've decided to stay away from Finasteride anyway. For me (and I appreciate it's different for others) the potential benefits just aren't worth the risks.
    That's a perfectly fair and reasonable decision to make. I wasn't trying to sway you to it, was just trying to defuse your worries (I didn't bother to read very closely).

All the best, man.

Your hairline looks pretty solid. It's a good shape and the symmetry helps.

Any of the treatments, whether it's Fin, Dut or Minoxidil, work better further back on the scalp than the hairline. But the fact that you're young and your har loss has just started is in your favour as it's possible to reverse the miniaturization of those fine hairs you still have.

I hope you're a good responder!
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I value my intelligence a lot more than my hair. If taking Finasteride meant that some time down the line I wouldn't be able to concentrate on things properly, or solve problems to the best of my ability then there's no way I'd risk it.
    Very wise decision mate.

If I would have known that Finasteride crosses the blood brain barrier and messes with all the Neurosteroids in the brain, I wouldn't have touched it either.

The "side effects" of finasteride are greatly exaggerated. You shouldn't believe everything, what some nutcases from internet forums say. You couldn't even take aspirine then, because it has "side effects". In reality, finasteride is a very mild and safe drug. It suppresses your DHT on the level of early pubertal boys (ca. 15 ng/dl), so you don't have to be afraid that it would cause some fundamental changes in your body. DHT is important only during puberty; then it only causes baldness and prostate enlargement, so it is a worthless, vile hormone that has no important function. Its importance is emphasized only by internet nuts, who want to justify their unverifable and imaginary "side effects".

As for the choice of anti-hairloss treatments, you can't virtually miss with dutasteride. But with the sentence "I mean I'd much rather be bald than impotent" you showed your priorities.

^Mate, your agenda is showing.