+ Reply to Thread

Default Anybody here had Gho procedure without shaving your head?

I've got an appointment for September 2 with the man himself. They have a procedure where you don't have to shave your head, although they can only do 1000-1200 grafts in that case. I have to grow my hair to 8-10 cm in order to hide the areas that they DO shave. Anybody had this done? How well does it hide the shaved areas?

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    I've got an appointment for September 2 with the man himself. They have a procedure where you don't have to shave your head, although they can only do 1000-1200 grafts in that case. I have to grow my hair to 8-10 cm in order to hide the areas that they DO shave. Anybody had this done? How well does it hide the shaved areas?
    I had this on my first two HST's.

They shave a 1 inch band from ear to ear. As long as your hair is long enough it covers it fine. It's also surprising how quickly the hair in the shaved section grows, so don't think you'll have anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by gc83uk View Post
    I had this on my first two HST's.

They shave a 1 inch band from ear to ear. As long as your hair is long enough it covers it fine. It's also surprising how quickly the hair in the shaved section grows, so don't think you'll have anything to worry about.
    Thanks, gcuk. The other thing is, I've got an old transplant scar about 2 inches below my crown so the will likely have to do it below that. Also, the hair in front will look a little funny until it grows in, no? I mean, how will it look with 8 cm long hair in front, with a band of newly sprouting hair in front of THAT? I don't want anyone to know, not even my girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by LT56 View Post
    Thanks, gcuk. The other thing is, I've got an old transplant scar about 2 inches below my crown so the will likely have to do it below that. Also, the hair in front will look a little funny until it grows in, no? I mean, how will it look with 8 cm long hair in front, with a band of newly sprouting hair in front of THAT? I don't want anyone to know, not even my girlfriend.
    2 inches below your crown? That seems a little high for a transplant scar, unless your crown is further back than usual, so pretty sure the 1 inch band of extracted hair will be lower than this scar.

You won't have any problems hiding the newly sprouting hair in your recipient, but the hair regrowing in your donor and the unextracted hair which has been shaved in your donor will probably be detected by your girlfriend unless she never touches your hair? I think you should just tell her, it's really not a big deal.

Thanks, GC83UK. I'll wait and see what I tell my girlfriend; I'm hoping that if I can just hide it for 3-4 weeks itwill grow in and I'll get a haircut so it all matches. September is a long way away so a lot can change between now and then. Let me know if you have any other tips.

How on earth are you planning on hiding a hair transplant from your girlfriend?! What if she asks what all those faint red dots are on your head, are you gonna say you hit your head on a cheese grater.

Just tell her.

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    How on earth are you planning on hiding a hair transplant from your girlfriend?! What if she asks what all those faint red dots are on your head, are you gonna say you hit your head on a cheese grater.

Just tell her.
    Agreed, just tell her. But if you really want to hide it, then long hair really isn't going to do the job. For one, how are you going to hide recipient ? It's save to assume you're going to shed 70% recipient in the first 6 weeks, so even if the hairs at some point are long enough to blend in, recipient will look very thin and weird I think.

I think the best way to hide it is to shave your hair earlier to about 4-5 mm. Donor will be pretty much unnoticeable within 1 week anyway and recipient can be quite unnoticeable within 2 weeks, depending of course on how long your skin will stay really red (differs from person to person).
    Shaving your head in advance (don't need to do it NOW of course, but maybe a month in advance) is probably the best way to go if you are going to try to hide everything.