+ Reply to Thread

Default Anything I can do at this point?

Hey there,

I'm just over 25 years old and think I have finally lost my war against going bald. I wanted to share my story to see if anyone else had a similar experience since the two dermotologists I've gone to seem to have no real good advice. First, my mother has thin hair. She has always had thin hair, although it has always stayed constant for as long as I can remember. She attributes her thin hair to a thyroid condition which has caused all sorts of other problems. All of her brothers and sisters and my cousins all have regular or thick hair. My father on the other hand had normal (not thick) hair and only started balding around 65.

I wasn't so fortunate. I remember the first observation of my thin hair came when I was in 4th grade. I rode it through high school and college, though my hair was pretty thin back then and it was frequently mentioned. The thinness was both on the top and sides (although more noticeable on the top). It's interesting though that my thickest hair is in the front on the two sides with a nice balding portion in the middle. I tried rogaine in 2011 for about 8 months but got sick of the greasiness and no results. I then hopped on finasteride in November/December 2012. So far I've noticed no real results, and fortunately no side-effects (especially with decreased hormones). In fact I noticed that I need to let one out at least once a week or I'll end up soaking my sheets. The worst part though is I feel like I am losing hair more than ever.

As far as other treatments go, I've been trying evening primrose oil (with a hope it might be a thyroid condition??) and biotin. I also wash with niozoral 3 times a week. To sum it all up, I feel like giving up hope at this point. Anyone have any suggestions or can relate? I'm going to ride this out through the summer but think it might be time for the razor soon. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

What Norwood are you?

There isn't much you can do but wait, you're still early with Fin(4-5 months) so you could easily still get more results from that.

It's a tough process, I've gone on the big 3 myself and haven't had any massive gains(Im about 8-9 months into fin) just maintanence mostly

If you're a low Norwood I'd reccomend trying out nanogen or caboki, it helps me cope with it a bit for now like when I go to bars and stuff(looks/feels completely real too).

But overall it's the waiting game right now, we're realistically 2 years or so from the next product(which could be BIM, Aderans or Histogen)

It's hard to tell without photos but your hair loss doesn't sound like typical male pattern balding. Have you had your thyroid checked out?

Chances are it is regular male pattern balding, but it's worth investigating other causes.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com