+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Have experienced MPB itch since i started this thread in 2013. It is in areas where hair loss is going on. There is 100%, definitely a correlation. Hair loss sufferers have talked about this forever, doctors are pretty clueless about it but it probably is connected w/ inflammation

Would taking fin help this itch, make it worse, or have no effect? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I can only speak personally, but once I started taking finasteride my MPB itch subsided.

My PERSONAL opinion is, by taking finasteride, it MAY make it better... but, like a LOT of us have experienced, it may get dramatically worst and rapidly increase your rate of hair loss. Finasteride is f*cked up.

Anecdotes vary....I do not remember having MPB itch til like the last couple yrs. Even on dut + fin. However using Nizoral shampoo 5-7x weekly helped a lot, just have to use conditioner or else it is too harsh

The itch is a funny thing because tons of guys with MPB seem to have it, and I battled it from young age seeing derms and trying tons of dandruff shampoos. Nothing ever worked but I think it is androgen related because the only time in my life it stopped was when I tried saw palmetto. I quit saw palmetto a long time ago after having finasteride like effects and said I am using the real proven thing propecia or nothing.
    The thing is no one like doctors or derms says there is any connection between MPB and the itch which seems odd to me given how many men have it.
    Can you share the exact product of saw palmetto you used? I'm having bad itches just above the central hairline for hours on end and it's killing me. I'm almost certain I'm losing hair there too, despite taking finasteride.

The itch was driving me insane . I researched and researched and I agree I believe it's dht attacking the folicles . I found a cure for the itch . Histamine causes the itching sensation in the body...take anti histamine tablets , the ones for hayfeaver and allergies . It works . The cheapest work the best I find . I do not think it stops the hairloss but the itch goes . It's worth it!

I took the gelcaps from GNC for the 320mg that are a bit pricey, but after using other brands of the common veggie caps they were the only ones that ever worked. Maybe in liquid form its absorbed better I have no idea honestly. While I was on it though it made the itch go away for me, but the temples/front still kind of itched. It mainly removed the itch from the middle and crown only, but it completely removed it for me when nothing else ever did. Could it have been placebo effect? Certainly could have, but I had some effects on it that make me think it was not.

Keep in mind that the original Propecia trials required all participants whether in the treatment group or placebo to use a medicated shampoo (specifically tgel) to combat ant inflammatory scalp condition (seb derm) in order to not confound the results.

This, imo, should tell you how frequent scalp issues such as sd or other inflammatory changes in the scalp are common in mpb. Obviously 100% of people won't experience itch/inflammation but I know I sure do.

Niz didnt seem to help me much with my itching. The saw palmetto really made me strongly believe for me its androgen related, but science/doctors say there is no known cause/effect there so I dont know. Could have been some placebo effect I guess. Maybe for me its worth trying finasteride. Just removing the itch alone would make it worth a try. For me shampoos in general do nothing maybe at best they help for that day, and the next day its back. I think for me its androgens causing this, but until I try fin I wont know for sure. I just dont want to use fin and have been putting it off. I dont like the idea of using a drug and being tied to a doctor to get refills.