+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Body hair transplant questions. Tell me about it!

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on hair transplants and obviously body hair transplants are a hot topic. Having said that I'm finding it difficult to get many answers re:body hair transplants so I've got a few questions

Firstly do they work? It sounds like the answer to everyone's prayers so I'm guessing there is a reason it's not common place. Does it have a lower success rate? Does the hair not looks as good?*
    Can you simply use hair from say your legs? I've seen pictures where someone has done that but like everything with the Internet I don't know how accurate it is.*
    What are the best areas to take the hair from? I've read that the beard hair seems to be a popular choice? Why, is it just because it will grow longer than say your leg hair?*
    Do you need more body hair follicles than say normal head hair to create the same density?*

Basically so far my research suggests that it can be done although results are mixed. It should only be done as a last resort. Is that right? Any other advice comments would be appreciated.*

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukcali View Post

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on hair transplants and obviously body hair transplants are a hot topic. Having said that I'm finding it difficult to get many answers re:body hair transplants so I've got a few questions

Firstly do they work? It sounds like the answer to everyone's prayers so I'm guessing there is a reason it's not common place. Does it have a lower success rate? Does the hair not looks as good?*
    Can you simply use hair from say your legs? I've seen pictures where someone has done that but like everything with the Internet I don't know how accurate it is.*
    What are the best areas to take the hair from? I've read that the beard hair seems to be a popular choice? Why, is it just because it will grow longer than say your leg hair?*
    Do you need more body hair follicles than say normal head hair to create the same density?*

Basically so far my research suggests that it can be done although results are mixed. It should only be done as a last resort. Is that right? Any other advice comments would be appreciated.*
    Body hair is unpredictable and less reliable than scalp donor hair. It should only be considered as last on the list of available donor supply. Several years ago I participated in several body hair growth studies. Leg hair is at the bottom of the barrel. The best body hair is chest and stomach, but it's not nearly as good as scalp donor. For me, body hair worked to hide scars and hide a pluggy hairline.

Beard hair is the best option when scalp donor is in short supply. Beard hair is far more reliable than chest or stomach hair and grows long, generally has a thick caliber, and covers well. Beard hair can be tricky to blend in with fine caliber scalp hair. I have seen it done though and the result didn't attract attention because of how it was placed.

When considering alternative sources of donor hair, consider beard hair first. Next consider stomach or chest hair. If you must go with chest or stomach, do a small test session and see what the growth looks like after about 10 months. Rogaine and shampoos that stimulate the anagen phase of hair growth help body hair. I read somewhere recently where a patient claimed to have lost most of his body hair after he got on Propecia. Not sure if that commonly happens or not. I have personally stayed clear of prescription medications, but use Rogaine and an anagen promoting shampoo with decent results.

-35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Body hair is unpredictable and less reliable than scalp donor hair. It should only be considered as last on the list of available donor supply.
    Well I was thinking otherwise. I was thinking of only transplanting beard hair on my head, so that when I shave my head, there is something on top. If I do an FUE with scalp hair, there is always a chance of dot scars appearing in the donor region, which would rule out the possibility of shaving my head. So maybe I can just transplant few beard hairs and wait for hair cloning to do further transplants with scalp hair. Do you think it is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Well I was thinking otherwise. I was thinking of only transplanting beard hair on my head, so that when I shave my head, there is something on top. If I do an FUE with scalp hair, there is always a chance of dot scars appearing in the donor region, which would rule out the possibility of shaving my head. So maybe I can just transplant few beard hairs and wait for hair cloning to do further transplants with scalp hair. Do you think it is a good idea?
    Many refer to anything other than scalp hair as body hair. IMO beard hair is in a class by itself. If you don't want to touch your scalp donor hair area, I suggest you have your hairline built with chest or stomach hair. Beard hair is usually way too coarse to build a natural looking hairline with. One approach is to do the chest or stomach hair test area at the hairline. If it grows well enough, ten months or so down the road do a 3000 graft session with beard and chest/stomach hair. The coarse beard hair "stubble" can create the effect of shaving your head for style rather than shaving it because you have MPB.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

35YearsAfter,

I had a procedure with Dr. Cole last week, one question I didn't ask but would like to know is what is the survival rate of beard grafts into strip scar. Any literature with links would be bonus.

beard hair is good as far as growth is concerned but it can look a bit odd if not mixed with scalp hair

cheast..from what i ve seen results are poor, yields are very bad...dr umar/woods have couple of good examples of successfull bht but im telling you for every successfull ones there many bad ones that never make it online..

sad thing is both of these doctors dont do bht test ....then when patient complains they try everything to blame patient ...its never doc or technique...its you!!

Quote Originally Posted by ITNEVERRAINS View Post
    35YearsAfter,

I had a procedure with Dr. Cole last week, one question I didn't ask but would like to know is what is the survival rate of beard grafts into strip scar. Any literature with links would be bonus.
    ITNEVERRAINS:

In early 2010, Dr. Cole did a study

It's a lengthy article. Here is the super condensed version:

"Findings: The use of Acell resulted in a 92% yield for beard hair in the donor area scar at 6 months. The absence of Acell resulted in a 0% yield for chest hair in the donor area scar at 6 months."
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    ITNEVERRAINS:

In early 2010, Dr. Cole did a study of beard graft yields

It's a lengthy article. Here is the super condensed version:

"Findings: The use of Acell resulted in a 92% yield for beard hair in the donor area scar at 6 months. The absence of Acell resulted in a 0% yield for chest hair in the donor area scar at 6 months."
    What if they use Acell with chest hair. What is the yield?

35yrsaftr

thanks for you info, you seem to know wht you talking about

What is MAX yield with chest hair?

2 weeks ago Ive seen horibble bht result , it was dr woods patient...the guy forked out 30k and got 25-30% growth..pure chest, no beard no scalp hair used..shame

Quote Originally Posted by didi View Post
    35yrsaftr

thanks for you info, you seem to know wht you talking about

What is MAX yield with chest hair?

2 weeks ago Ive seen horibble bht result , it was dr woods patient...the guy forked out 30k and got 25-30% growth..pure chest, no beard no scalp hair used..shame
    Can you give the link?