+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Don't More People Get Hair Transplants?

I know the answer is going to be, "because they don't care..." but what's your opinion on Why don't we see MORE celebrities and high-profile business people getting hair transplants? Those who can afford the treatment and are often seen in the public eye.

For instance, I know Chris Evans talks about his balding and Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cited about it. They were among the highest paid actors in 2010-2011 so money shouldn't be an issue.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

Either they don't care about it anymore cause they have money and fame to substitute or because they are too annoyed with the media queuing in on everything they do and make it look like they are pussies. I think the role model thing to do here is to accept and love yourself so going bald shouldn't be an issue, which is quite literally bullshit to me.

There are many celebrities who might've gotten transplants but don't tell the public about it and look at what happens. People still try to find out if the celebs gotten a transplant or not like it is a shameful thing. **** the media.

Quote Originally Posted by seaside3110 View Post
    I know the answer is going to be, "because they don't care..." but what's your opinion on Why don't we see MORE celebrities and high-profile business people getting hair transplants? Those who can afford the treatment and are often seen in the public eye.

For instance, I know Chris Evans talks about his balding and Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been cited about it. They were among the highest paid actors in 2010-2011 so money shouldn't be an issue.

many celebrities do have hair transplants and many wear hair pieces.
    you will not know how many do get stuff done, but as there very few visibly bald celebrities you can be sure that many have addressed their hairloss.

Also, hair transplants can be good, but not everybody is a candidate and once you have surgery you may progress further, forcing you to have further work done just to retain a natural look. Its a risk many take but as spencer says hair transplants are not a 'one size fits all' procedure so you should be cautious to view them as a simple treatment anyone can have . you dont want to end up with this kind of hairline?

not everybody is good candidate, not all grafts grow(especially FUE)
    somebody with extensive hairloss simply dont have enough grafts that can be moved from donor area

bruce willis, vin diesel..they just dont have enough hair to be able to pull it off, 5000 grafts on bruse willis would be nothing more than a combover, drop in a bucket

most people would prefer hair to no hair but with current techniques there is only so much you can do,

For me, its about expense. The price for a hair transplant from a reputable surgeon isn't necessarily unreasonable or out of reach. As a family man I have to prioritize my expenditures and I personally can't justify the expense of a hair transplant at this time. If I have to choose between a HT and something for the family,like a nice vacation for example; I will always choose my family.

Quote Originally Posted by MackJames View Post
    For me, its about expense. The price for a hair transplant from a reputable surgeon isn't necessarily unreasonable or out of reach. As a family man I have to prioritize my expenditures and I personally can't justify the expense of a hair transplant at this time. If I have to choose between a HT and something for the family,like a nice vacation for example; I will always choose my family.
    This. Definitely this.

Quote Originally Posted by seaside3110 View Post

I have the money for a transplant, but the reason I don't go for it yet, is due to the possibility of having scar(s) in the donor region and losing grafts, as FUE does not have 100% survival rate, but more like 90% in the hands of best surgeons. Of course, there is Dr. Gho, but I've read that with his procedure, the transplanted hair grow thinner. The second reason I don't go for it is that it would noticeably change my looks. I mean all people who know me know that I am bald, and therefore even if I suddenly have hair, I won't be fooling anyone. They may even start hating me for being vain!

1) the financial undertaking
    2) the emotional undertaking
    3) the confusion

On 3, there's still not that much proper information reaching men, with regard to their options. It takes a lot of research to make the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    This. Definitely this.
    I would feel tremendous guilt if I took something away from my family over my vanity. And yes it is vanity and I have it like everyone else, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I often feel the urge to take plunge. A lot of doctors are doing great work-real artists.

I suspect that a lot of HT patients are older gentleman or younger unattached guys. They are either young and ready to mingle or older and established. I'm sure that isn't always true.

Plenty of reasons:

1. An HT's inability to generate anything close to a full head of hair

2. The permanent head scarring

3. Most of the time a lifetime commitment to finasteride is required, which causes side effects for many people

4. The very high cost

5. Many people are unwilling to go through with such an invasive procedure. (A slab of hair-bearing flesh is surgically cut out from a person's scalp)