+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    4. The very high cost
    I have always wondered why this procedure is so darn expensive. Medicine is not my field, but common, how much skills does one require to take out hair and plant it back. It must me among the simplest of surgeries!

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    I have always wondered why this procedure is so darn expensive. Medicine is not my field, but common, how much skills does one require to take out hair and plant it back. It must me among the simplest of surgeries!
    The argument is the extraction and seperation of the hair follicles is fairly work intensive because of the level of precision necessary to extract the follicle without damaging it.

Quote Originally Posted by MackJames View Post
    The argument is the extraction and separation of the hair follicles is fairly work intensive because of the level of precision necessary to extract the follicle without damaging it.
    That is why I'm a proponent of using robotics in such surgeries, as robots can do such tasks with a lot more precision. Even a top surgeon might produce odd poor results, as they say, to err is human !

I envision transplant booths in the future, where a person can put money in the transplant machine, and then instruct the machine where to put the hair by using some graphical program, and then let the machine do the magic! Let us make these greedy doctors redundant!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Seaside, the fact is that there are many celebs who HAVE probably had HTs done.. The reason that you wouldnt know is because they can afford GREAT work from GREAT doctors who know what they are doing and have the artistic ability NEEDED to perfect the implants.
    That goes for people around you too..I have a couple of close friends of mine,,they both have had significant HTs done by GREAT doctors,,if you met them you would NEVER KNOW that they had it done.and That is a FACT.
    One of my friends had told me of a time that he had to see his dermatologist ..
    " I once went to a dermatologist about a year and a half ago to check on small patches of hair that stopped growing in the beard area on my face. He looked over my head to see if there was any spots on top of my head with missing hair. I told him I had a hair transplant and he was SURPRISED. He said he would never have known - most guys he can tell right away they had one done..."
    It is all a matter of doing your own due diligence in researching the best HT doctor for YOU. Payment plans help too-LOL.

Handful of reasons for me:

1.) Wrapping up grad school -- HT is not affordable at this time

2.) I don't know with certainty that finasteride has stopped my hair loss. If my hair were to continue to deter after a HT to my frontal zone, I would need to get another HT in the future (assuming I have appropriate donor hair), or look like a total jack ass with just hair in the hairline, sides, back.

3.) I can't take 1 or 2 weeks off of life for transportation, the procedure, and the healing process. I sure as hell would not show up at work or at a party with hair line scabs.

4.) Shame. I can't imagine showing up at my office or an event within my social circle magically having a thick hairline, after I've been obviously balding for over a year. I know the impact that blatant insecurities plays on people's perception of you. I would rather bald than be labeled as mentally weak.

5.) Everybody on my dad's side of the family is bald or balding, yet still successful. I'm fairly certain I'm the only one that seeks camaraderie on a hair loss forum. I know if I go bald, I'll still marry a decent looking chick and continue on my career path.

I would like to be explicit that for number 4, I do not look down on people who get HT's. Further, I've never heard anyone say people who get HT's are mentally weak/insecure, but have heard it plenty regarding other superficial surgeries such as breast implants, eye widening, skin bleaching, etc. So, at least in my head, it's all the same. Don't waste your time getting riled up over that comment -- I'm just speaking my mind.

Pretty much what everyone here said. Lots of big downsides, and honestly most of the guys after the HT look like they are still balding pretty bad. Its not making you look much younger then before despite all those downsides. I would just save my money and accept being bald in hopes something like PGD 2 turns out to grow back massive amounts of hair or some way to truly get back all your hair like hair multiplication.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I would just save my money and accept being bald in hopes something like PGD 2 turns out to grow back massive amounts of hair or some way to truly get back all your hair like hair multiplication.
    What's PGD 2?

A discovery the media hyped up big time but as usual its probably not anywhere close to as big as they try to make it sound. I just feel if you have the money for HT your much better off saving it until hair multiplication or something so you can just get all your hair back and its going to be expensive at first.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...tern-baldness/

Celebrities: Either they don't care or are misinformed, or afraid of a botched HT which fall under misinformed.

Normal people: Cost, or misinformed.