+ Reply to Thread

Default Another 16 year old joining in.

Hey hows it going, i'm 16 and been receding since 14. How do i know i'm receding? Well there is a mole on my hairline that used to be covered with hair and over the last 2 years the mole is now visible and my hairline is behind it. I measured my recession and its 1.75cm receded at the sides. The sides are also noticeably thinner than the middle and other parts. I'm not sure if my crown area is thinning or not. I've always had a visible penny sized bald spot spiral which i doubt have gotten bigger. I never went to a dermatologist but i' m pretty i' m losing hair. I've yet to know the reason. The 2 possibilities is genetic mpb (dad started balding in his early 20s.) or stress? Back when i was 14 and 15 i 've have problems with stress. I started getting white hairs around age 14 maybe late 13. I'm pretty sure my white hairs were due to stress because i'm having less stress problems and have less white hairs than before. 2 to 3 now when i used to have 5-10. I'm coping with stress by eating better hanging out with friends and working out. Now my question is should i get shampoos like Regenpure and use minoxidil? Will a 16 year old have problems with using minoxidil? I ordered a 3 month supply from amazon already, i tried to cancel but it wouldn't let me for some reason. The reason i wanted to cancel was because i read Benjaymin's thread and felt that i should be more like him. I still absolutely don't want to be bald because my head isn't symmetrical and i' d look horrible if i shave my head in the future. I need some advice and help and what i should do. Thanks for reading my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by waynemanguy View Post
    Hey hows it going, i'm 16 and been receding since 14. How do i know i'm receding? Well there is a mole on my hairline that used to be covered with hair and over the last 2 years the mole is now visible and my hairline is behind it. I measured my recession and its 1.75cm receded at the sides. The sides are also noticeably thinner than the middle and other parts. I'm not sure if my crown area is thinning or not. I've always had a visible penny sized bald spot spiral which i doubt have gotten bigger. I never went to a dermatologist but i' m pretty i' m losing hair. I've yet to know the reason. The 2 possibilities is genetic mpb (dad started balding in his early 20s.) or stress? Back when i was 14 and 15 i 've have problems with stress. I started getting white hairs around age 14 maybe late 13. I'm pretty sure my white hairs were due to stress because i'm having less stress problems and have less white hairs than before. 2 to 3 now when i used to have 5-10. I'm coping with stress by eating better hanging out with friends and working out. Now my question is should i get shampoos like Regenpure and use minoxidil? Will a 16 year old have problems with using minoxidil? I ordered a 3 month supply from amazon already, i tried to cancel but it wouldn't let me for some reason. The reason i wanted to cancel was because i read Benjaymin's thread and felt that i should be more like him. I still absolutely don't want to be bald because my head isn't symmetrical and i' d look horrible if i shave my head in the future. I need some advice and help and what i should do. Thanks for reading my thread.
    This is insane! I am also 16, i also have the same balding as you, i also kept track of my recession with a mole on my head and i also used to have a stress problem between the ages of 12-14, aswell as my dad having been bald by mid 20 to end 20s! Crazy, anyways, take fish oil an b-50 complex vitamins morning and night, and get nizoral shampoo, use that twice a week, also use a sulfate-free shampoo on the other days, because sulfate essentially drys ur hair out and makes it fall out! good luck

I'm 24 and started at 16. You guys are much smarter than me for joining this early. At 16 I was having fun playing baseball almost every day. I can assure you you will learn a lot from this site, just stick around and read as many threads as you can. Although I am a supporter of finasteride, I would suggest against taking it until you're 18. This is coming from some one that would prefer to suggest tot do something about hair loss ASAP. But 16 is too early. Reminds me of me really, I knew I couldn't use Propecia or anything, so I got on this stupid Procerin thing that did nothing.

Thanks for your answers guys. What are your opinions on a 16 year old using minoxidil? Safe or should i just not use it?

Minoxidil is safe to use at 16. Just go for the foam as it's much easier overall to apply and dries much quicker than the liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    Minoxidil is safe to use at 16. Just go for the foam as it's much easier overall to apply and dries much quicker than the liquid.
    is minox for regrowth or just maintaining what you have?

Quote Originally Posted by waynemanguy View Post
    Thanks for your answers guys. What are your opinions on a 16 year old using minoxidil? Safe or should i just not use it?
    Yes it should be safe as long as you use it only 1-2 times a day max. If money is an issue, Amazon is the cheapest so stay with them. The liquid is very cheap for 6 months supply ...just bought it for $27.00

Can you go to a Dr. and get it checked out? You may have mpb or maybe just a mature hairline (lets call it pre-mpb for a better lack of words).

If you are just getting a mature hairline, Minox will help slow it down but it probably will not stop it. But the good news if it is just a mature hairline, it will stop on it's own after awhile and you may go many years before you begin to really start going bald. This was the case for me and I started receding about the same time you did .

I would avoid propecia at your age unless you are being closely monitored by a Dr.

For now, you should be safe using minox on your own if you can't afford a Dr.

Christ. Okay. In addition to what some posters have said.

Minoxidil must be used constantly, and continually. All hair meds must.

Consider price (that's around 30$ a month, for life), and whether you're willing to apply day in, day in (again, indefinitely). If you plan on getting on it. Minoxidil will not retain your hair; it is a growth stimulant.

If you get on and off Minoxidil, you will likely go through a shed. It's what it sounds like. Be sure you're committed before you, uh, commit.

Propecia might maintain your hair, it inhibits DHT. Don't consider propecia until you're around 18, as it will ****** with your hormones, but you will hear this word thrown around. It's also called generic Finasteride. There is a potential for sexual side effects.

Peace.

Alright guys i' m gonna get on minoxidil. About the shedding, when does the shed start? On the average minoxidil user about how many weeks in do they shed? Also is it like a reoccuring thing? Or does it happen only once and do you HAVE to shed to regrow/maintain/thicken hair? By shedding do you lose all the hair there or only a noticeable amount? Is there a chance you shed the hair and not grow it back even if you keep using minoxidil? I know this is different from person to person but i just want a general answer. Thanks again for reading and providing answers.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I'm 24 and started at 16. You guys are much smarter than me for joining this early. At 16 I was having fun playing baseball almost every day. I can assure you you will learn a lot from this site, just stick around and read as many threads as you can. Although I am a supporter of finasteride, I would suggest against taking it until you're 18. This is coming from some one that would prefer to suggest tot do something about hair loss ASAP. But 16 is too early. Reminds me of me really, I knew I couldn't use Propecia or anything, so I got on this stupid Procerin thing that did nothing.
    I'm 26 and I take finasteride as well. Is it safe to start taking it at 18? Is say that because I don't think you're fully grown until you're into your 20s. At least that's my experience. The size difference from 18 to my early 20s was pretty significant.