+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it true that hair follicles never die?

At least the following real life example shows so.

http://www.hairloss-research.org/Upd...erDie8-12.html

Of course we would want something better than taking spiro for 6 years. But if its true that hair follicles never die, there can be a treatment in the future to regrow hair on a slick bald head, or am I being too optimistic.

I've read something like that before. Something about they just shrink to the point that they can not be seen by the naked eye? I believe that is true, because how else do people who get on the "big 3" can grow hair on visibly slick bald scalp? They have to be there, just microscopic sized.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    I've read something like that before. Something about they just shrink to the point that they can not be seen by the naked eye? I believe that is true, because how else do people who get on the "big 3" can grow hair on visibly slick bald scalp? They have to be there, just microscopic sized.
    Yes, but some doctors say that after 5 years or so of baldness, they die and therefore hair regrows only in those who have just started losing hair, but you never know who is telling a lie and truth in this capitalist world. Hair Transplant surgeons would obviously want you to believe that hair follicles die, so that you go for a transplant.

Wow, that's a very interesting article and it confirms what I've always suspected. This really gives me a ton of hope that baldness can really be reversed. That's a great website too.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Wow, that's a very interesting article and it confirms what I've always suspected. This really gives me a ton of hope that baldness can really be reversed. That's a great website too.
    The following paper also verifies this.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/44478

But imagine what will happen if they do come up with a cure. The hair transplant industry would do anything to stop it from happening, as they would be out of job otherwise. This is the reason I hate capitalism so much!

This really caught my attention more than anything:
    this guy re-grew a full head of hair after 45 years of complete horseshoe fringe slick baldness.
    It caught my attention because this is a huge claim with no picture of the "full head of hair". I see the bald picture, but with a claim like this, how about a pic of the full head of hair they claim?

Thanks for this website by the way, there's another interesting article in there about Taurine, mega green tea extract, zinc, and grape seed extract being good for hair loss. It won't hurt to try. I think i'm going to take the plunge but with very low expectations. I'll also add silica, biotin and MSM. I think i'm already taking the best possible treatment from what is available to me, Dutasteride and Rogaine, so I mean it wouldn't hurt to add in natural treatments as well. Hopefully at worst, the addition of natural supplements at least improve overall health. If it does nothing for MPB, at least I can say I did try out natural treatments. I have tried it in the past but none of the aforementioned one's.

They never die the stem cells that produce hair are always there I think. We dont have any treatments that actually regrow hair after many years so we dont know if its possible to get them to start growing hair again or if its time dependent.
    Basically its unknown but its possible. I would be happy with just a way to keep the hair I have without obviously taking a drug forever.

I recall reading something that they go through a process at certain point where it's much harder for them to come back. This was a very recent article(and was much more scientific in language than I just stated). Essentially after a certain point stuff like Fin won't help you as much, but that point is usually 2-3 years after the start?(cant recall what it said)

But still, the stem cell is still there and I'm sure it is possible with future medicine to rejuvenate it, it's just a matter of getting the research done to find that. I'd say we're getting closer and closer.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    The following paper also verifies this.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/44478

But imagine what will happen if they do come up with a cure. The hair transplant industry would do anything to stop it from happening, as they would be out of job otherwise. This is the reason I hate capitalism so much!
    I know, I totally agree with you on that point as well. I've expounded on that point in some of my past posts as well. I truly believe that most of the hair transplant industry desperately wants to maintain the status quo and still have hair transplants be the so-called "gold standard", quite simply because these transplants make them obscene amounts of money.