+ Reply to Thread

Default Dandruff and itchy scalp 5 months after HT

Ok I am aware dandruff and itchy scalp are things that go hand in hand and they cause inflammation of the scalp which is not ideal .

I was a NW6 before a 4000 odd graft FUE surgery I had 5.5 months ago . The growth is quite good so far and I have a natural looking HT .
    I keep sharing my photos every often.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10157

But for the last couple of weeks I have noticed a severe itch at times and when I use hair brush or my fingers to scratch it I get loads of dandruff which I have not had prior to HT .
    All I have been using since HT are 10000mg BIOTIN a day and ROGAINE minoxidil liquid once or twice a day sometimes .
    I also use nizoral 2% once a week .

Any ideas would be much appreciated as to whats causing this itch and dandruff

Have you discussed this with your HT doctor? You can also see a dermatologist who can provide you with a diagnosis and potential treatment.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Have you discussed this with your HT doctor? You can also see a dermatologist who can provide you with a diagnosis and potential treatment.
    Hi , no I have not contacted him but all the clues made me think its the liquid minoxidil (rogaine) which contains alcohol . I have stopped using it for only 2 days and the amount of dandruff is substantially reduced and the itch is almost gone .
    I dont think I will be going back to liquid minox ever ,Its a shame cause I have 2 months supply left here

It's shocking to read the ingredients with the various types of alchohol in minoxidil products. Everything from propylene glycol to propane, isobutane, etc.

And yes these inactive ingredients can dry the scalp, cause irritation and flaking. Glad to hear that these symptoms have subsided to some extent.

Some guys have stated that the foam version 5% is less irritable.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    It's shocking to read the ingredients with the various types of alchohol in minoxidil products. Everything from propylene glycol to propane, isobutane, etc.

And yes these inactive ingredients can dry the scalp, cause irritation and flaking. Glad to hear that these symptoms have subsided to some extent.

Some guys have stated that the foam version 5% is less irritable.
    Perhaps i have a sensitive skin for those ingredients after all , its been a while of minox now and dandruff flakes are much smaller and i have not got the itch that often or as heavy as before .

I was on minox foam before the liquid ,I actually bought the liquid by mistake :/

Ok I have not used minoxidil since and my itch has gone but still have lots of dandruff and cant seem to get rid of it

Surely this is not right , what can I do to get rid of dandruff ?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnytr View Post
    Ok I have not used minoxidil since and my itch has gone but still have lots of dandruff and cant seem to get rid of it

Surely this is not right , what can I do to get rid of dandruff ?
    Even your local pharmacist may have some good recommendations for treating the dandruff but always bounce it off your doctor before using any of these specialized shampoos for dry/flaky scalp.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net