Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinnytr
    • Jan 2012

Dandruff and itchy scalp 5 months after HT

Ok I am aware dandruff and itchy scalp are things that go hand in hand and they cause inflammation of the scalp which is not ideal .

I was a NW6 before a 4000 odd graft FUE surgery I had 5.5 months ago . The growth is quite good so far and I have a natural looking HT .
    I keep sharing my photos every often.

After a lot of research, i finally managed to get my HT done 3 weeks ago ( october 2012) by Dr Hakan Doganay in Turkey . He planted 4016 grafts (around 1000 of these being beard hair grafts) using choi implanter pen and i am super happy with the result at the age of 36 although i have a small 1000-1500 graft section on my

But for the last couple of weeks I have noticed a severe itch at times and when I use hair brush or my fingers to scratch it I get loads of dandruff which I have not had prior to HT .
    All I have been using since HT are 10000mg BIOTIN a day and ROGAINE minoxidil liquid once or twice a day sometimes .
    I also use nizoral 2% once a week .

Any ideas would be much appreciated as to whats causing this itch and dandruff
  • gillenator
    • Dec 2008

Have you discussed this with your HT doctor? You can also see a dermatologist who can provide you with a diagnosis and potential treatment.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• vinnytr
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by gillenator
      Have you discussed this with your HT doctor? You can also see a dermatologist who can provide you with a diagnosis and potential treatment.
      Hi , no I have not contacted him but all the clues made me think its the liquid minoxidil (rogaine) which contains alcohol . I have stopped using it for only 2 days and the amount of dandruff is substantially reduced and the itch is almost gone .
      I dont think I will be going back to liquid minox ever ,Its a shame cause I have 2 months supply left here

Comment

• gillenator
        • Dec 2008

It's shocking to read the ingredients with the various types of alchohol in minoxidil products. Everything from propylene glycol to propane, isobutane, etc.

And yes these inactive ingredients can dry the scalp, cause irritation and flaking. Glad to hear that these symptoms have subsided to some extent.

Some guys have stated that the foam version 5% is less irritable.
        "Gillenator"
        more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• vinnytr
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by gillenator
          It's shocking to read the ingredients with the various types of alchohol in minoxidil products. Everything from propylene glycol to propane, isobutane, etc.

And yes these inactive ingredients can dry the scalp, cause irritation and flaking. Glad to hear that these symptoms have subsided to some extent.

Some guys have stated that the foam version 5% is less irritable.
          Perhaps i have a sensitive skin for those ingredients after all , its been a while of minox now and dandruff flakes are much smaller and i have not got the itch that often or as heavy as before .

I was on minox foam before the liquid ,I actually bought the liquid by mistake :/

Comment

• vinnytr
            • Jan 2012

Ok I have not used minoxidil since and my itch has gone but still have lots of dandruff and cant seem to get rid of it

Surely this is not right , what can I do to get rid of dandruff ?

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by vinnytr
              Ok I have not used minoxidil since and my itch has gone but still have lots of dandruff and cant seem to get rid of it

Surely this is not right , what can I do to get rid of dandruff ?
              Even your local pharmacist may have some good recommendations for treating the dandruff but always bounce it off your doctor before using any of these specialized shampoos for dry/flaky scalp.
              "Gillenator"
              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...