Hair transplant just a short-term result?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluetox
    • Feb 2013

Hair transplant just a short-term result?

Hi folks.

Seeing that there seems to be so much secrecy and little evidence around hair transplantation I am really in doubt that hair transplants will give patients anything more then just a short-term result.
    I noticed that out of all the hair transplant pictures and results I have seen so far it's just from pre operation to maybe at most a year old pictures. I would very much like to see some results and pictures of people from before operation into atleast a few years after the operation, if those exists?

Does anyone have any links to share of such hair transplants with pictures of more then just a span of a few months?
  • 35YrsAfter
    Doctor Representative
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Bluetox
    Hi folks.

Seeing that there seems to be so much secrecy and little evidence around hair transplantation I am really in doubt that hair transplants will give patients anything more then just a short-term result.
    I noticed that out of all the hair transplant pictures and results I have seen so far it's just from pre operation to maybe at most a year old pictures. I would very much like to see some results and pictures of people from before operation into atleast a few years after the operation, if those exists?

Does anyone have any links to share of such hair transplants with pictures of more then just a span of a few months?
    I'm personally a worse case scenario. I had the 4mm punch grafts placed in the early days of hair transplantation. The grafts grew for about 28 years and as my donor area thinned, so did my transplanted hair. Dr. Cole replaced most of it with body hair beginning in 2006 because my scalp donor was shot. I'm happier than Dr. Cole is with the result. At least at 61, I'm not slick on top. I have thin coverage and a natural looking hairline. When I was young, I had exceptionally dense donor hair. As I aged, it thinned. Thinning of the donor area generally happens to men as they age. My donor area thinning has been worse than average.

The art of hair transplantation has improved a lot over the years, but most reputable hair restoration doctors have expressed their frustration regarding the excessive amount of time it takes for doctors to adapt new and improved technologies.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

Comment

• skychief
      • Feb 2013

I am wondering the exact same thing. I am on the verge of booking a hair transplant in in a few months. I am currently a norwood 4 and im destined to be a norwood 7. The doctor who did my consultation informed me that i will never have enough donor to cover the whole crown even in the long run.

I am willing to live with that. But what will my hair look like in 10-30 years? For the record am 34 years old.

Comment

• Bluetox
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by skychief
        I am wondering the exact same thing. I am on the verge of booking a hair transplant in in a few months. I am currently a norwood 4 and im destined to be a norwood 7. The doctor who did my consultation informed me that i will never have enough donor to cover the whole crown even in the long run.

I am willing to live with that. But what will my hair look like in 10-30 years? For the record am 34 years old.
        In my opinion if you are of those normal men who have decent facial hair you should just shave your head and live your life with confidence. Balding is such a confidence crusher, but I dont think being bald look bad if you have a beard or if you are so lucky and have great facial features. Women would choose a bald guy with confidence any day over a guy with beautiful hair and bad confidence.
        So if it werent for my terrible beard growth I would have done the same so I could stop worrying about it.

Comment

• mattj
          Doctor Representative
          • Oct 2009

Most patients don't (or can't) return to the clinic to be photographed even once, so expecting updates years later is unrealistic. There are guys who have continued to post on the forums for years but even they are few and far between as most people move on.

The results are long term, but it's true that more work will be required in many cases due to the natural progression of hair loss.
          I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Bluetox
            • Feb 2013

Well I'm still to see any long term results and I'm sure there must be someone out there that have documented it over a long period if it's so succesful. I find it VERY strange that everyone that starts to put out pictures before and after an operation stops after about a few-12 months.

What increases my doubts even more are people who are in the media alot like one Norwegian model who had a free hair transplant if he wrote about it in his blogg. He documented with pictures and wrote twice in a span of a few months and never heard anything about it again. Another example is Wayne Rooney. He looked great the first year or so, now it looks like he is using tons of concealer to hide that his new hair is thinning or disappearing.

Comment

• skychief
              • Feb 2013

makes you wonder. Wayne Rooney got his first hair transplant 2 years ago i think. And now hes doing another in the same area?

Comment

• mattj
                Doctor Representative
                • Oct 2009

Remember that 12 months is roughly the point when patients can expect to see full growth of their transplanted hairs. For that reason, it's the time when doctors will schedule a follow-up meeting with their patients. During that meeting photos are taken and those are the photos that clinics will post online.

For patients who have shared their experience with the forums, 12 months is kind of like the finishing line. It's the time to put the final result up for display.

With my own procedure I'm giving regular updates at key points up to and including the 12 month mark. No plans are set to continue updating after that, although I'll still be here and so will my hair transplant.

I was just viewing videos and noticed that this patient came in approximately 2 years after his procedure:

I think Rooney was using concealer all along. He could've benefitted from more grafts with his hair loss pattern and I’ve read that he recently did go back for more.
                I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• Jotronic
                  • Nov 2008

If you'd like to see long term results you can see my own. To be fair, I did have a procedure 2.5 years ago but it was mainly into an area that had never been touched before, the bottom half of my crown. Before that my previous procedure was in 2004.

Hair transplant surgery can be a very rewarding experience. But if you don’t protect yourself with the right research hair transplant surgery can be your worst nightmare.

Before...

And me a few months ago at the gym...

www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Comment

• topcat
                    • May 2009

The reason you don’t see many long term results from posters is because what has been written here it mostly true they move on. They come here when they need help with their hand out hoping they can get some truth and if they are lucky they get it. But when it comes time for giving back well they simply don’t have time for that much like the person who is even asking this question in all probability.

What you are left with are those that know mostly nothing and those that work in the industry. It has been often stated that the handful that do know how the industry operates seems to have some peculiar type of obsession as if shining some light on those that are less than truthful is odd and obsessive behavior. I in fact find those that seem comfortable finding any opportunity to make money off some desperate young bald guy be it produce DVD’s, books, rep for different doctors depending which way the wind is blowing, or whatever is even stranger.

If you stick around long enough it’s easy to figure out the liars. If you don’t want to spend the time than don’t have a hair transplant.

Comment

• Artista
                      • Apr 2010

Thanks Joe for adding FACTUAL RESULTS to this thread .

Comment

• drybone
                        • Dec 2012

Holy Christ Joe.

The difference is PHENOMENAL. You look great

Certainly doesnt look like a 'short term' solution to me. Great job.

Comment

• PayDay
                          • Nov 2008

Jotronic is the man! Holy crap, every time I see your progress I'm astounded. Man you look great!

Comment

• topcat
                            • May 2009

I agree Jotronic’s is a great result especially considering from where he started. The clinic has a body of work and it speaks for itself. I can’t say that I have ever seen them try and hide a case if something didn’t’ go as planned as can happen with anything and is rare they simply address it, which is exactly how it should be. It’s the clinics that try to bury what they don’t want you to see that seem to do more harm, they just don’t get it. I’m sure if they bought a family vehicle that had a potential to rollover regardless of how small that potential was they would like to know about it. But what would even be worse is the auto mfg. trying to bury the story of the family that was killed because of the incident, wrong approach in my opinion. Personally as a repair patient I am highly insulted and offended by clinics that do this and that is why I make the time to point it out when I see it.

But as far as long time patients coming back to show you their results and help you out don’t count on it. Everyone has adopted this I want to be paid attitude in our society I can understand that as all too often free advice is considered to be of no value. People come up to me in person and ask me about nutrition and what I’m doing on a constant basis but then they easily dismiss what I have to say, so yes I should be charging but I will admit it is hard as my instinct is to just want to help people.

The biggest issue I see with patients that have had bad results with today’s doctors are they are either ashamed to come forward as they feel like a complete fool or they are so afraid of saying the wrong thing and potentially getting no help at all, so their desperation keeps them muzzled. They are willing to let a few more lambs be sacrificed so that they can get what they need.

Comment

• didi
                              • Nov 2011

'The biggest issue I see with patients that have had bad results with today’s doctors are they are either ashamed to come forward as they feel like a complete fool or they are so afraid of saying the wrong thing and potentially getting no help at all, so their desperation keeps them muzzled. They are willing to let a few more lambs be sacrificed so that they can get what they need.[/QUOTE]

Jotronic your HT is top class, H&W have some mindblowing results, its almost like magic

Topcat

i agree that people who had bad results are ashamed to come forward as they feel like idiots and also Im sure some unhappy patients dont even complain to their doctor.

Most people who decide to have HT dont want anyone to know they had work done, most hairloss sufferers are introverts and getting on boards and complaining takes some guts and energy.
                              Its very emotonal experience where patient spends large amounts of money and results suck..huge blow to psyche.
                              Then again, you have patients who cut the deal with their doc, ususaly they get partial refund or free grafts for silence and they get them to sign.

I never understood why would somebody go for free grafts if results were crapp in the first place, Id go for money .

Another thing is forums are heavily moderated and sponsored by clinics, some wont even let you complain about their doc or they will always say its 'you' not them(your expectations).....but when you get great result then its doctor who gets credit...

Comment

Working...