+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair loss advice 17

Hey this is my first post, but I have been actively reading this site almost everyday. I am 17 and have always had thick hair, but recently in the last year or two my hair line has receded to about a NW1 on one side and a little over a NW2 on the other. I have combover that works and it is not that noticeable, except I look 15 years older when I go in water... My mom is familiar with hairloss and their is hairloss on my mothers side of the family not dads so I decided to start treating it about a month ago.
    I started Rogaine and Nioxin shampoos and I defiantly experienced an initial shed but now my hair seems to be falling out often, but nothing like the shed i experienced. It has only been 6 weeks. I went to a dermatologist who was a complete idiot and told me not to worry people's hairline matures sometimes early and he doubts I'm balding at 17.

What my post is getting at is their anything I should do besides rogaine and Nioxin shampoos? I would take propecia in a heartbeat if I was 18 because I'll take the risk. I understand I will probably be bald when I am older I just want hair in college. I know this post doesn't really have a purpose but I am always freaking out and constantly reminded when a hair or two falls on my desk almost every class.

Hi mate do you have any pics?

You are at an age where your hairline can mature from juvenile to adult. A NW 2 hairline is an adult male hairline and not MPB. If it goes past a NW 2 then it is MPB.

My hairline matured to a NW 2 at age 18 and is still the same now at 33.

Everyone's hair looks thin when extremely wet.

You can get your hair genes from either side of your family.

My advice would be not to touch Propecia but other's have had a better experience.

Hey sorry for the delay I had a lot going on, So i took some pictures with my iphone camera... if you think I need better ones let me know.

In addition yesterday I went to a dermatologist aimed more at hairless. He gave me some 3% Minoxidil-A-Tretinoin which he says is stronger than over the counter Min because the A-Tretinoin. He also happily gave me a prescription for propecia saying 1/100 patients experience decreased libido and stop if I do. This worried me a little because I know propecia is a lot worse than that, but I really want to take it. I know I am young, but I really want hair in college.

Thanks, P.S does the A-tretinoin really make a difference plus, has anyone else tried propecia before 20?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0441.jpg

Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	20212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.jpg

Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	20213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg

Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	20214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg

Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	20215  

sorry to hi-jack the thread bud.. but @el nino, you mentioned your hairline matured early and settled in. I've been noticing the same thing, but I do still shed between 25-50 hairs a day, did you still notice slight shedding once your hairline at settled?

Quote Originally Posted by horte View Post
    Hey sorry for the delay I had a lot going on, So i took some pictures with my iphone camera... if you think I need better ones let me know.

In addition yesterday I went to a dermatologist aimed more at hairless. He gave me some 3% Minoxidil-A-Tretinoin which he says is stronger than over the counter Min because the A-Tretinoin. He also happily gave me a prescription for propecia saying 1/100 patients experience decreased libido and stop if I do. This worried me a little because I know propecia is a lot worse than that, but I really want to take it. I know I am young, but I really want hair in college.

Thanks, P.S does the A-tretinoin really make a difference plus, has anyone else tried propecia before 20?
    I have never heard of A-tretinoin before mate but minoxidil is one of the big three of finasteride, minox and nizoral shampoo. So if it contains minox then it is worth using.

Propecia isn't usually recommended for under 18s but your hair loss does seem quite aggressive so if you are gonna use it then I think it's better not to wait.

Propecia and minox should halt your loss and maybe even regrow some hair if you're lucky. Don't over think the side effects but watch out for them and if they're persistent then stop. But I have to warn you that they can still persist after stopping, however it is rare, I think.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks1089 View Post
    sorry to hi-jack the thread bud.. but @el nino, you mentioned your hairline matured early and settled in. I've been noticing the same thing, but I do still shed between 25-50 hairs a day, did you still notice slight shedding once your hairline at settled?
    Yeah even now I still shed about that amount of hairs everyday. But it is normal to shed up to a 100 hairs a day which are part of the hair cycle.

I think if you have an itch and shed more than 100 hairs a day then it is likely you are losing hair and not just shedding.

Sorry to say this but that is not a mature hairline, it is but it looks like it has receded. Get on fin and don't pay attention to side effect posts which are rare

Ok thanks, hard to see in the pictures but I defiantly notice some regrowth on temples due to Min, a lot of tiny white hairs everywhere plus some general regrowth. I think ill start fin and cash in this prescription I have... I'm really healthy and I doubt I'll be one of those horror stories. Hopefully Histogen or some other "cure" comes out while I preserve what I got now with Fin, Min

Two more things, One is I read somewhere to start fin slowly so I think ill take like 1/4 a pill for a week and work my way up, plus will those white hairs ever become "real" hairs again or are they just false hope

Quote Originally Posted by horte View Post
    Ok thanks, hard to see in the pictures but I defiantly notice some regrowth on temples due to Min, a lot of tiny white hairs everywhere plus some general regrowth. I think ill start fin and cash in this prescription I have... I'm really healthy and I doubt I'll be one of those horror stories. Hopefully Histogen or some other "cure" comes out while I preserve what I got now with Fin, Min

Two more things, One is I read somewhere to start fin slowly so I think ill take like 1/4 a pill for a week and work my way up, plus will those white hairs ever become "real" hairs again or are they just false hope
    A lot of guys describe regrowth from minox as "peach fuzz" which are tiny white hairs. Some have said they have then become real hairs and other's have said they remained like that. Probably about fifty fifty.

Ignore posts warning you not to listen about the possible side effects of Finasteride because they can be very real. I wish I was more aware of them before I started.

Don't over think them though and it's probably best to taper on the drug gradually.