+ Reply to Thread

Default Back, 100% recovered.

So a few months ago I was posting about my process of quitting propecia and the weird hormonal side effects/changes my body was going through. Pretty much to sum up, weaned off real slow and had no sides on the drug. As I quit got ball aches, prostate aches, no sex drive, loss of sensitivity and my Testosterone dropped by 50% for a few days. Then I pretty much went back to normal but had some persisting prostate ache and random ball ache even a month after being off the drug.

I've since been avoided the internet to stop me from thinking about it but also because I've come to terms with my hairloss and it doesn't really bother me as much anymore.

I just wanted to come back and say I've recovered fully and don't have those prostates aches anymore and have full sexual function. Though I did have a urologist tell me I have a small Varicocele on one of my testicles, but that may be unrelated to the drug(though personally I think it was that since I noticed the pain in my balls seemed to be a throbbing like veins).

I probably won't post or browse this form much anymore maybe just once every few months. Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that everything is fine and wish the best to anyone who quits propecia in the future and also has a non standard quitting process I know it can be scary.

Sorry that you had such bad side effects. Good for you that you are okay now.

Reading your story I'm relieved for you. At least you were able to notice the effect it had on your body and have enough sense to realize it probably was not worth it. Many people end up taking lifelong medications outside of hair loss drugs and they do tremendous damage to their body over time as they don't even know it's happening and sometimes it takes 10-20 years.

Hopefully the experience will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    So a few months ago I was posting about my process of quitting propecia and the weird hormonal side effects/changes my body was going through. Pretty much to sum up, weaned off real slow and had no sides on the drug. As I quit got ball aches, prostate aches, no sex drive, loss of sensitivity and my Testosterone dropped by 50% for a few days. Then I pretty much went back to normal but had some persisting prostate ache and random ball ache even a month after being off the drug.

I've since been avoided the internet to stop me from thinking about it but also because I've come to terms with my hairloss and it doesn't really bother me as much anymore.

I just wanted to come back and say I've recovered fully and don't have those prostates aches anymore and have full sexual function. Though I did have a urologist tell me I have a small Varicocele on one of my testicles, but that may be unrelated to the drug(though personally I think it was that since I noticed the pain in my balls seemed to be a throbbing like veins).

I probably won't post or browse this form much anymore maybe just once every few months. Just wanted to let anyone who cares know that everything is fine and wish the best to anyone who quits propecia in the future and also has a non standard quitting process I know it can be scary.
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me dude. My testosterone levels never fully restored, pretty low for my age now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Though I did have a urologist tell me I have a small Varicocele on one of my testicles, but that may be unrelated to the drug(though personally I think it was that since I noticed the pain in my balls seemed to be a throbbing like veins).
    I had a Spermatocele removed about two years ago before I was on finasteride. I developed it about 5 years before that. It is supposed to not cause pain but it knocked me flat out. Lower back pain, abdomen pain and testicular pain. It is entirely possible that the Varicocele caused your discomfort. It is quite common in men between 15-30 years of age; I don't think propecia would have cuased that for you. My urologist told me that my condition often occurs in men that cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Losing_It View Post
    I had a Spermatocele removed about two years ago before I was on finasteride. I developed it about 5 years before that. It is supposed to not cause pain but it knocked me flat out. Lower back pain, abdomen pain and testicular pain. It is entirely possible that the Varicocele caused your discomfort. It is quite common in men between 15-30 years of age; I don't think propecia would have cuased that for you. My urologist told me that my condition often occurs in men that cycle.
    Yeah I realize they're fairly common like 20-25% of men get them. Which is why I'm not saying it was the drug 100%. It's just the testicle ache I had is right around the area where the vericocele is attached to my nuts. Could just be a coincidence.

And Aroes, damn that's a shame. Have you done anything to try and get higher testosterone? Like lifting heavy weights in compound movements or sun bathing? I was smart enough to get bloodwork done before starting, mostly to see my DHT, which was at 3080 near the max healthy range. I was at 19/nmol or something for testosterone which roughly equals 590ng/dl a little lower than the average for a 21 year old but not much. I dropped down to like 9/nmol when I was quitting and that was horrible. But I got more blood work done now and I'm back up to 20.1/nmol. I'm a little worried now that I know I have this varicocele since I hear they can cause low T as they progress.

Everyone thanks for the kind words. Hopefully if anyone in the future is quitting and having some issues they can read some of my posts and get some peace of mind. I know when I was quitting I had no idea if these things were gonna go away or how they would resolve. Merck made it sound like I would just stop taking the drug and wouldn't even notice things were any different.

Losing_it if you don't mind me asking what was the surgery like? And how successful was it? I don't need to worry now because my Urologist said it was very small, but I'm aware these usually get worse with time so I've been debating getting it dealt with in the next year or so. I heard Microsurgery for it was really successful and easy.

After the past 2 years of losing hair, getting on this drug and having my little period of quitting and freaking out I've finally come to terms with a lot of shit and gotten over a lot of insecurities so I wanna move on with my life and getting this over soon might be a good idea instead of waiting for the veins to swell even more.

Cr779, the surgery was real easy and completely successful. It is done on an outpatience basis and should not take more than 30 minutes. I had swelling and discomfort for a few days and couldn't walk properly for at least a week. I waited about seven years to get it removed and only experienced pain every now and again. There is a possibility it could come back after removal. Speak to doctor and ask him if it would make sense to get it removed now or to wait a little longer. For me it was the lower back pain,lower abdomen pain and frequent urination thag was the deciding factor to get it removed