+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by icedawg View Post
    Hey all,

I've been on Propecia for about 12-13 years (started at age 20 or so). I started because my parents at the time noticed a small baldish spot at my crown, and they were concerned b/c my dad started to lose his hair at 18. I went to a hair transplant doctor at the time, and he agreed there was some thinning there, took some photos, and started me on Propecia.

While on Propecia, I've never really noticed any side-effects, save for loss of morning erection, and ejaculations have a slightly different sensation. I didn't notice any regrowth over that spot while taking it, but also didn't notice any loss. A few years ago I could have sworn the spot got larger (depending on lighting, or styling, it just looks worse sometimes). I went back to that doctor, he reviewed my original photos, and said there was essentially no change and that I should stay on Propecia. The spot is somewhere around 1.5-2 cm or so, and there is thinning anterior to it on the top of my head, but I think it has always been there; I believe he may have said I have 50% density there, but I honestly can't remember.

I've been wondering whether I was ever actually losing my hair, or if perhaps for whatever reason, the thinned density on the top of my head is normal for me. I read that stopping Propecia for 6-12 months should cause the loss of all the hair it had prevented from falling out; I also read that it apparently takes 3 months for it to start working once taking it. So, I stopped it for about 6 months back in 2011, and then restarted it, thinking that would create a time period of about 9 months for loss to occur. Didn't really notice any loss though. Also, I've never noticed a change in the front hairline.

I decided to try stopping it again in June of 2012. I just restarted it again this March, so I stopped for 9 months this time, thinking if it takes 3 months to start working, that'll be a full 12 months. I resumed taking it because again, it just sometimes looks like the spot is larger to me, or that the surrounding hair has thinned. Before I stopped it this time I took some initial photos, but looking at them now, the quality and lighting aren't so great and I only took a couple. It does really look to me like the spot has gotten larger, but again, I've thought that before, so I just don't know. If I actually had been losing it at age 20, then now, 13 years later, shouldn't I noticed some dramatic hair loss after stopping Propecia for 9 months?

So maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you KNOW for sure that you're losing your hair? The only time I see a lot of hair loss is when I put gel in my hair--but I use strong spiking gel (Got2Be); I've tried counting the individual hairs stuck to my hands afterwards, and that can range from in the teens all the way to in the 40's--but it does not seem to vary whether I'm on Propecia at the time or not.

Any insight you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    It doesn't necessarily mean youd lose all the hair you saved. Follicles miniaturize over time. If you think you're balding chances are very good that you're balding. I started to notice the slightest thinning in one temple when I was 19, now Im 26 and nw4. If I could go back Id start finasteride. If you haven't seen sides and no further loss then leave well enough alone and stay on it until a cure comes, which I think will be the next few years

I think its possible when you significantly lower androgens that recently miniaturized or miniaturizing hair could regrow back to full length or near it. So I think some regrowth is possible but its just not a for sure thing.