+ Reply to Thread

Default NEED expert opinion please

I am 29 year old and have traction alopecia and now mpb,have some miniature hair and diffuse thining may be,not on any meds but thinking about doing ht,what do you think i would need ,how many grafts etc and iam considering fue at this time,how about shock loss and scarring and availble donor hair for future ht,also s it a good idea for me to start now with ht or wait till i loose it,my traction alopecia started at age 14 and mpb i guess at age 25 if this is mpb?so i dont want any meds due to side effects but need your advise?thank you.

Question

Can I ask how you got traction alopecia? Did you wear braids or something?

Winston,I got traction alopecia from braids wrapping it up real tight

can anybody help out?

nw,

You do have a unique situation IMO.

Obviously a doctor diagnosed your condition as traction alopecia with MPB? What are your goals? What did the doctor tell you about surgery?

We have no idea if your traction alopecia is permanent. But if it is, that is leaving you with very limited donor. And yes I agree, you are also diffusing. Your density does not look above average even if the traction loss was not there.

You also stated that you are not open to using meds so you have four tough factors facing you.

Have you ever tried shaving your head? You have a nice shaped skull so personally if it were myself in your situation, that would be my first option. Maybe re-post some pics after you shave your head?

And honestly, although you may not want to hear this feedback, I would not suggest you for a HT even if it was FUE.

Your diffused pattern is large at your still young age and my guess is that you have advanced hairloss in your family history somewhere.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default oh my god

thanks for responding but after consulting with two top quality best of the best doc on here i was suggested 2500 fue grafts with more future procedure to come my goals are or guess was good hairline and temple work then,do a strip down the road when i loose it all on top, my traction alopecia is permanent,do you suggest i do it down the road or dont do it all toghther i do shave my head i do look good with it just for once wanted hairline and grow it out but may be i should rethink its very depressing when you find out your loosing your hair and then find out you cant do nothin about it>

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Default Options

Quote Originally Posted by nw?? View Post
    I am 29 year old and have traction alopecia and now mpb,have some miniature hair and diffuse thining may be,not on any meds but thinking about doing ht,what do you think i would need ,how many grafts etc and iam considering fue at this time,how about shock loss and scarring and availble donor hair for future ht,also s it a good idea for me to start now with ht or wait till i loose it,my traction alopecia started at age 14 and mpb i guess at age 25 if this is mpb?so i dont want any meds due to side effects but need your advise?thank you.
    Dear NW

The diagnosis of traction + male pattern hair loss is certainly reasonable. A consultation in person with a hair restoration expert. One of the things I always tell my patients is that if they can be happy and forget about their hair loss by shaving their head, then that is the simplest solution. I recommend you do this for awhile and see how you like it. If you can't live with it, then consider the following: 1) a low dose finasteride (e.g. twice a week) may considerably slow any further hair loss 2) frontal restoration can give you a natural frontal/temporal hair line 3) strip excisions generally heal very well, making short hair but not a shaved head possible. It is better to shoot for a moderate density than to take too wide of a strip for high density/large session and be left with a scar that makes short hair impossible.

Again, I would try the shaved head for awile and see how you feel. If you don't want to continue this, you do have options.

Good luck,

Dr Cooley
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Great reply by Dr. Cooley. HT surgery should always be a last resort. If surgery does end up to be your final resort, be sure to have your donor zone evaluted in person to get some idea of how many grafts both FUE and strip that you have available and then take a conservative approach.

Feel free to e-mail your pics in complete privacy and confidence if you like.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

film Video Response from IAHRS Member Jeffrey Epstein, M.D.

IAHRS Member Jeffrey Epstein, M.D. of Miami and NYC Responds in our Video Q&A Forum.

See Dr. Epstein's response here

Quote Originally Posted by nw?? View Post
    can anybody help out?
    I'm not an expert.....