+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    MackJames: How bad is your AA, and have you had corticosteroid injections? I had those injections at the dermatologist and regrew the hair AA knocked down, but only partially. Unfortunately I was not able to recover everything. I think if I didn't have MPB, the steroids would have regrew everything back, but the MPB makes my hair weaker I guess and didn't allow them to grow back strong enough.

Bigthinker: Although i'm a laid back, mellow guy, that's probably it. Maybe i'm just excited because of the new treatment I will try out.

25: I'm glad you posted here since you're taking Dut, I was starting to think no one on this site is taking it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we get good results at the 12 month mark and stay negative side effect free.

I used to get corticosteroid shots about every six months but noother treatment. It grew back some of the hair but not all of it. I first noticed a small dime sized hole on the left side of my scalp right above the temple at around 22. im 35 now. Another much smaller hole appeared on the right several years later.

Over the years the hole on the left side has gotten progressive larger,eventually stabilizing at about the size of a silver dollar. The hole on the right did not enlarge. Hairs will ocassionally grow in the patches but they break easily.

My dermatologist recommended I discontinue injections as he felt it wasn't foing to help me long term. His rationale was that the hair in the spot wasn't likely to return because of mpb. I posted a pic of myself on here if you're curious. The pic doesn't show the spot though.

I suffer from psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and often AA also occurs with those conditions. I'm currently taking enbrel which has had no effect on my hair, which, I didn't expect it to.

I've been on propecia for about two years and overall my hair has thickened but the two patches haven't improved significantly. I added minoxidil recently and I've noticed some minor regrowth. When I was younger and hair was thicker I was able to comb my hair in a way that camouflaged the holes, but it's gotten more difficult has my hair has thinned.

It's too bad science still hasn't come up with an answer for alopecia areta, since it's a lesser disease than MPB IMO. You'd think it'd be easier to find a cure for it. Of course alopecia universalis is no joke, that's the worse kind of hair loss that could happen to anyone.

the hair in the spot wasn't likely to return because of mpb.
    Yep, doctor didn't tell me this but I realized that myself, it's why I stopped taking the injections. On top of that, the injections were denting my head in the spots they were being applied. It is a known side effect, the dents went away after several months. But that, and the fact that the injections were never going to bring all of my hair back because of MPB, I got scared away from it.

A little update: Just got my 12 month supply of Rogaine foam. My first impression was the nice new look of the box. I opened them and the can also has a new look, and the cans are very cold, feels and looks like an aluminum baseball bat. I applied it for the first time in YEARS, 3-4 years, since the last minoxidil I used 2 years ago was Kirkland's liquid.

Dutasteride side effect update:

Never heard of this as a side effect, never seen anyone mention anything like this but on the exact same day I took Dut for the first time, that night I had vivid dreams, and had vivid dreams last night too.

This is the only new pill i'm taking, so I can only think it is because of these pills. I remember when I used to take MSM, I got that same side effect but that was a known side effect of MSM that people reported, I haven't seen anyone report such a thing for Dut. So again, this could just be me making up side effects.

Otherwise, nothing negative to report yet, and hopefully never. It has been my third pill, so I guess it's too early to tell if there will any negative side effects, but so far every thing is normal.

Inactive

Thanks, how far into it are you? And what results have you gotten? slowing down, stopped, regrowth? Regrowth is probably too early to tell if you have less than 12 months.

What should dut do your blood if it's legit?
    Only 1 month so it is too early to really tell. I was on fin for two months before this. Duta will obviously drastically lower your DHT. You will also probably notice increases in free test and/or estrogen.

Rogaine liquid just arrived. First impression, the bottle looks like the Kirkland's minoxidil liquid bottle. Then I opened it and it smells just like it too. Then I looked at the ingredients, and it has the same ingredients. I'm thinking it would probably give me the same reaction Kirkland's gave too, witch is itchy scalp and dandruff. I've used Rogaine foam 3 times since I received it and haven't felt a thing.

It's too bad science still hasn't come up with an answer for alopecia areta, since it's a lesser disease than MPB IMO. You'd think it'd be easier to find a cure for it. Of course alopecia universalis is no joke, that's the worse kind of hair loss that could happen to anyone.

Yep, doctor didn't tell me this but I realized that myself, it's why I stopped taking the injections. On top of that, the injections were denting my head in the spots they were being applied. It is a known side effect, the dents went away after several months. But that, and the fact that the injections were never going to bring all of my hair back because of MPB, I got scared away from it.
    I'm thinking about taking the Dut plunge. I have reservations about inhouse. Do you trust them? I'm not to worried about sides. I've been on fin for two years without sides.

As I mentioned before I am getting slight regrowth in the bald patches. I'm going on my seventh month of minoxidil use and the hairs have popped up only in the last three weeks. I was giving it six months and was about to quit when I felt the stubble.

I've been using Kirkland branch minoxidil foam with no problems. The liquid form caused major scap irritation. The irritation I experienced from the liquid is one of the reasons I discontinued using minoxidil in the first place.

You mentioned another topical AA treatment and I'm considering trying that as well.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by MackJames View Post
    I'm thinking about taking the Dut plunge. I have reservations about inhouse. Do you trust them? I'm not to worried about sides. I've been on fin for two years without sides.

As I mentioned before I am getting slight regrowth in the bald patches. I'm going on my seventh month of minoxidil use and the hairs have popped up only in the last three weeks. I was giving it six months and was about to quit when I felt the stubble.

I've been using Kirkland branch minoxidil foam with no problems. The liquid form caused major scap irritation. The irritation I experienced from the liquid is one of the reasons I discontinued using minoxidil in the first place.

You mentioned another topical AA treatment and I'm considering trying that as well.
    Check my duta log. I use Dr. Reddy's Dutas from inhouse and I just had blood-work done. I have the DHT levels of a 9 year old.

Rogaine liquid has been good so far. It has been nothing like Kirkland's liquid. No itchiness, no dryness, no sign of any of them whatsoever. It's only been two days that i've been applying it. Who knows, maybe the itchiness starts showing up in a couple of weeks or months but as of right now it hasn't and I attribute that to the fact that i'm using Rogaine foam in the day and the liquid at night as opposed to the liquid twice a day like I used to.

Just wanted to post my experience with Avodart (name brand)

I was so pumped to finally get some of this stuff. Propecia seems to be failing me pretty bad and since I'm the ~5% of people Propecia doesn't work for (it worked 4 years ago but now losing effectiveness) I figured Avodart would be the answer!

Well, I haven't heard of anyone else having this, so of course I'm the 1% that has this happen. I honestly have the worst luck.

ANYWAY, I took 8 pills over a months timeframe (two pills a week, stayed on Propecia the other 5 days) and after the third week I noticed some gyno. I immediately stopped and got on some serious estrogen receptor blockers (Clomid), but didn't really help.

As time has passed the mild mild gyno has turned into bad gyno. I'm addicted to working out and being in shape and this is a life changer...

Now I have man tits and bad hair...pretty awesome.